Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car storage

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2002, 05:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As some may be aware, my company has offices in the USA, which is where I am at the moment. The opportunity has arised for me to come over to the USA for at least 18 months to work, and to be honest, I'd be a fool not to do it.

One of the problems is the blackbeast as I can't bring it over here.

So I have, as I can see it, three options.

a) Sell it
b) Keep it and let someone else, probably my brother, drive it
c) Keep it and store it somewhere.

option a is not going to happen, I've just spent a fair bit on new wheels and brakes, and the downpipe, so I want to keep it. so it's really option b or c.

It'll probably go to option b, but I'm curious to know what storage options are open to me.

so, where, in the south east, preferable Kent area, can I store my car for at least 18 months, maybe longer (if longer then I'd probably sell it)

Kinda looking for something akin to the Italian job where Charlie 'comes back from Africa' after 'hunting tigers' and goes to the garage to collect his Aston and it's been looked after for him whilst he way 'away'

so, any info.
Old 23 January 2002, 07:35 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Markus, how much will your disposable income go up when you are over there?

When you return, will you be X amount richer and your car be 18 mths older, and you might want to buy a new one with all your spondoolies? In which case better to sell it now and get a higher price for it? And hey, if you invest the proceeds, it will grow by 7% while used car prices drop, too...

Just a thought. If your job is likely to be extended, even better to sell now. If it won't last 18 mths, perhaps better to store it.

BJH
Old 23 January 2002, 07:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Brendan,
thanks. you have a very valid point there.

as for spare cash, hmmmm, not sure. got a loan and big CC bill to pay off, but then on the flipside, cost of living is very cheap here.

best thing is to talk to the directors and see what they would pay me for being over here, if it's straight conversion then I could be laughing, if it's more, better still.

can't really see them giving a salary cut because COL over here is lower than UK, there would be no incentive for me to move over here.
Old 23 January 2002, 07:41 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Marcus

They very worst thing you can do to a car is store it. The only safe way would be in a heated garage, on stands, engine run weekly, oil changes 6 monthly, fuel tank kept full to the brim, etc etc.

I aggree with Brendan on the money side, but your post suggests that there is more to it than money?

Could an option be to get your brother take it out of the garage 2/3 times a week?

David
Old 23 January 2002, 08:19 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The storage thing would be, as I suggested, a proper place, not just bang it in a lock up.

There is more to it than the money side, well, sort of. I like the car, had it for two years, love it to bits, and I've made it mine by modifying it, the latest mods being (though not added to it yet!) are the MY01 wheels and the movit porsche brakes. these last two bits have been purchased over the past few weeks, and thus I'd never make the money back on them or the car as a whole. Plus I would be coming back from the usa once in a while, so giving the beast a blast now and then would be fun.

I know there are storage places around, just got to find them.

worst case scenario, my brother gets handed the keys, I'm sure he would not mind
Old 23 January 2002, 08:28 PM
SuzyQ
Scooby Regular

lol i'll look after if for ya and give it a good thrash daily ...lol !!!
Old 23 January 2002, 08:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

was waiting for u to post suzy!

don't doubt that you'd treat it with the respect it deserves, ie; thrash it!

maggie won't like it though!
Old 24 January 2002, 10:32 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Markus, My dad had the same idea when he moved to NZ for a yr. This was 5yrs ago and he wanted to store his Porsche. He used a place just outside of MK about 5 mins off the M1. It is a non-publicised location and on first appearance seems like a ***************** Inside there where the most amzing cars, XJ220, XJ15, Astons, Ferraris, Porsches galore. They clean, top up fuels and check cars on a very regular basis. they'll even deliver your car to the airport upon your return.

I shall try and find out a tel number for you. Might take me a while. My parents are back in NZ and OZ for 2-3 months.

Edited so any Scum reading this don't go looking around MK for the very place described.

D

[Edited by diablo - 1/24/2002 2:47:44 PM]