Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Senior Bishops Denounce God!

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2008, 03:52 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior Bishops Denounce God!

BBC NEWS | England | Lent fast to cut carbon emissions

So religion takes science where it suits, or do these senior clergymen denounce their god?

If god making the earth in 7 days is believed ahead of the theory of evolution, how can these people push for humans to try to impact on climate change when there is no conculsive scientific proof that humans contribute to climate change??

I am completely baffled by this bizaare outburst by the church and felt the need to air my bafflement!
Old 05 February 2008, 04:02 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

I can't understand how Islam is a tolerate and loving religion, but if you don't join them, some of them want to kill you.

Guess that means its confirmed then, all religions are for the bonkers amongst us.
Old 05 February 2008, 04:10 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its more to do with over-consumption... Dont need sience to prove we are consuming the earths resources at an alarming rate, but yeah I do agree that climate change is something we can not effect as humans.
Old 05 February 2008, 04:23 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

He said: "A whole host of scientific studies have made clear that it is no longer possible to find excuses for doing nothing.
Since when has the Church considered scientific evidence as a reason for believing one thing or another?
Old 05 February 2008, 04:28 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
but yeah I do agree that climate change is something we can not effect as humans.

You and the rest of Scoobynet - Unfortuantly, the scientific community as a whole, thinks otherwise. Aside from, of course the odd lone voice that is held up by skeptics as being the voice of absolute truth
Old 05 February 2008, 04:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz

I am completely baffled by this bizaare outburst.........
I don't see what's bizarre about it at all. Seems quite a reasonable and well meaning gesture to me.

I don't think it will make much difference in the overall scheme of things but that's not the point. dl
Old 05 February 2008, 05:13 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

What's bizarre isn't the nature of what's said, it's who's saying it.

The Church is built entirely on people believing something on blind faith despite overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary. They should be very careful indeed about pointing at scientific research and stating that people should consider it, understand it and act accordingly. Someone might just hold up a dinosaur bone and say, "what about this, then?".
Old 05 February 2008, 05:31 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

If God can create the world in 7 days and arrange plagues, floods, parting of seas etc. surely he can sort out a bit of global warming?
Old 05 February 2008, 05:46 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Climate change: Its God's will

<Opens windows and cranks thermostat up to 28>
Old 06 February 2008, 12:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

So religion takes science where it suits, or do these senior clergymen denounce their god?

If god making the earth in 7 days is believed ahead of the theory of evolution, how can these people push for humans to try to impact on climate change when there is no conculsive scientific proof that humans contribute to climate change??

I am completely baffled by this bizaare outburst by the church and felt the need to air my bafflement!
Why on earth do you think that religion does not accept scientific knowledge? No reason at all why it should not or to also accept the facts with regard to evolution.

These are always so called facts stated by those who denigrate religion without really knowing the truth of the matter.

Odds on,

To say that those who do follow a religion are "bonkers" is an inaccurate and unpleasant statement to say the least. You follow your beliefs as you are entitled and let me follow mine without having to put up with your insults. You may feel it necessary to justify your ideas to yourself in this way, but dont bother to make the rest of us have to put up with it.

Les
Old 06 February 2008, 12:27 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

The danger is though if we wait for 'conclusive proof' before doing something it may well be too late.

MM GW is a balance of probabilities arguement
Old 06 February 2008, 12:37 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Why on earth do you think that religion does not accept scientific knowledge? No reason at all why it should not or to also accept the facts with regard to evolution.

These are always so called facts stated by those who denigrate religion without really knowing the truth of the matter.

Les
The belief in a deity is not necessarily at odds with the belief in god. While the Catholics generally acccept evolution as being "guided by god", other groups of Christians have more of a problem with it. There are plenty of Christians (not just fundamentalists) that consider the bible to be the world of god and as such cannot be flawed. If you take that view, then evolution is very much in conflict with the Adam and Eve creation. Thankfully some do take Adam and Eve as allegory, the problem then is, if that's a fairy tale, what else is a fairy tale? Suddenly the bible isn't the absolute word of god and Chritianity's foundations start to look a little less stable.
Old 06 February 2008, 12:44 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

To say that those who do follow a religion are "bonkers" is an inaccurate and unpleasant statement to say the least.
Agreed - And I am total aethiest.

Some of greatest minds in history have been deeply religious.
Old 06 February 2008, 12:48 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Agreed - And I am total aethiest.

Some of greatest minds in history have been deeply religious.
Not necessarily, in the era's of some great scientists, to have spoken out against religion would have been suicidal.
Old 06 February 2008, 12:55 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Bat
Not necessarily, in the era's of some great scientists, to have spoken out against religion would have been suicidal.
Well, taking Newton for example, he spent more years writing Biblical hermeneutics than he did the Principia. He didn't do that out of fear, he did it because he beleived he was chosen by God to discover the secrets of the Bible.
Old 06 February 2008, 12:55 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Indeed you'll find it much harder to find scientists who are religious these days, particularly in the fields of physics and biology. I'm not saying there are none, but they are few and far between.
Old 06 February 2008, 01:33 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Scientists are Christians too.

7 days, evolution, Noah's Ark, Christmas story yada yada yada are not 'core faith' items and therefore belief in them is not requisite to becoming a Christian.
Old 06 February 2008, 01:37 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Well, taking Newton for example, he spent more years writing Biblical hermeneutics than he did the Principia. He didn't do that out of fear, he did it because he beleived he was chosen by God to discover the secrets of the Bible.
So.....you're saying he was clever AND bonkers then?
Old 06 February 2008, 01:53 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy

7 days, evolution, Noah's Ark, Christmas story yada yada yada are not 'core faith' items and therefore belief in them is not requisite to becoming a Christian.
Was that meant to be in there
Old 06 February 2008, 02:48 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy

Some scientists are Christians, some are Jews, others Muslim or Hindu, but there are an awful lot of atheists that are scientists too.
Old 06 February 2008, 03:12 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Was that meant to be in there
that'll teach me not to check my work before clicking 'submit', I meant creationism
Old 06 February 2008, 03:18 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

My suprise isn't what is being said, it is purely who is saying it.

The job of a clergyman is to spread Gods' word. Gods' word is not a state funded "scientific" unproven study that claims patio heaters and cars are destroying the world... At least I dont think any of that's in the bible?

These two self righteous buffoons need to save this kind of eco-religion to the hippies ramming whale ships in the Antarctic and not abuse their clerical positions of power to try to influence the public on such matters.
Old 06 February 2008, 03:21 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

My suprise isn't what is being said, it is purely who is saying it.

The job of a clergyman is to spread Gods' word. Gods' word is not a state funded "scientific" unproven study that claims patio heaters and cars are destroying the world... At least I dont think any of that's in the bible?

These two self righteous buffoons need to save this kind of eco-religion to the hippies ramming whale ships in the Antarctic and not abuse their clerical positions of power to try to influence the public on such matters.
The problem is, if the churches are getting less bums on pews then the clergy need to look for other things to interfere in to remind people they are still there.
Old 06 February 2008, 04:40 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Indeed you'll find it much harder to find scientists who are religious these days, particularly in the fields of physics and biology. I'm not saying there are none, but they are few and far between.
That goes for western society in general - Not just the sceintific community. I'll bet you'll find plenty of emminent religious scientists from areas where religion is still followed by a majority - The Middle east, Pakistan, India etc.
Old 06 February 2008, 06:49 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

You are absolutely right, they are supposed to preach something else unproven (far more unproven, indeed), God's word............

Geezer
Old 07 February 2008, 01:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Of course there are scientists from all religions and atheists too. There is no reason why that should not be. Science exists uncontrovertably and the human race is right to study it of course. Incidentally, it is the only subject that really took my imagination at school. Evolution is also all around us.

I agree with Abdabz that those bishops could do a lot better than bringing the "eco" question into religion in such a way. It can of course be said to be responsible to avoid the possiblity of the destruction of the world too.

Geezer,

The existence of God and presumably His word cannot be proved any more than you can disprove it or for that matter prove the manner in which the world and the universe came into being, ( excuse me for using the English word of course )

Les
Old 07 February 2008, 01:13 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I agree with Abdabz that those bishops could do a lot better than bringing the "eco" question into religion in such a way. It can of course be said to be responsible to avoid the possiblity of the destruction of the world too.

It strikes me that the bishops are just acting as leaders as part of the community. I don't think they are dragging religion, as such, into it at all.

It seems to be "trendy" now to make cheap jokes about religion and those that hold certain beliefs. Just show some respect - you never know there might be something to it dl
Old 07 February 2008, 01:30 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Geezer,

The existence of God and presumably His word cannot be proved any more than you can disprove it or for that matter prove the manner in which the world and the universe came into being, ( excuse me for using the English word of course )

Les
Indeed, Les, I was merely pointing out that someone had the gall to call scientific process unproven when faith requires blind belief in the unproven.

Geezer
Old 07 February 2008, 01:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
It strikes me that the bishops are just acting as leaders as part of the community. I don't think they are dragging religion, as such, into it at all.

It seems to be "trendy" now to make cheap jokes about religion and those that hold certain beliefs. Just show some respect - you never know there might be something to it dl
Thank you for that.

You could well be right about the bishops but it is a clumsy way to go about it I think.

Les
Old 07 February 2008, 01:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

dont care what religion you are theres always those willing to cause violence for disagreeing with them.

and by any religion i mean any, christian, muslim etc etc

after all crusades are holy wars, jihad's are holy wars,,,

(p.s. im not picking on those two religions, i justed used them as easy examples straight of the top of my hed)

Quick Reply: Senior Bishops Denounce God!