Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What 42" LCD?

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2007, 12:20 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 42" LCD?

I am on the look out for a 42" LCD to replace a 32" Samsung I have at the moment.

It is an absolute minefield
I ventured onto AV Forums which totally confused me as it was like reading a different language and I was a little suprised and dissapointed to read so many faults with Samsung tv's.

All I want the tv for is to watch tv via SKY and connect my surround sound system to. I just want a good picture with reliability.

Budget around £800 and I prefer to buy from a high street store, rather than some distant internet company.

Any advice or thoughts are welcome.
Old 11 November 2007, 02:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am ver pleased with my Toshiba 37 1080p, didnt read loads of reviews, just went to the shop with a budget of £1500 and bought what I liked the look of, was big enough and had a good picture. I paid £800, so I had £700 left, the missus was well confused when I hadnt spent £1499.99.

Dont go on Avforums, it all gets way to ****, its a telly at the end of the day.
Old 11 November 2007, 03:13 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I am ver pleased with my Toshiba 37 1080p, didnt read loads of reviews, just went to the shop with a budget of £1500 and bought what I liked the look of, was big enough and had a good picture. I paid £800, so I had £700 left, the missus was well confused when I hadnt spent £1499.99.

Dont go on Avforums, it all gets way to ****, its a telly at the end of the day.
i dare say you got the tv i was after. that toshiba one with the active picture thing for about £750 in 37"? was gonna get the stand and home cinema kit too for under a grand. tv looked excellent, even on a normal ariel in the shop but computer said no!
Old 11 November 2007, 03:31 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Wheres PSL when you need him?

Does it have to be LCD? I can`t fault my Panasonic Viera Plasma.
Old 11 November 2007, 05:57 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

A 42" LG Plasma is the best .... by quite a margin.

Do NOT buy from CURRYS, DIXONS or PCWORLD!!

John Lewis all the way amd an LG Plasma - thats what I would do! :Thumb:

Last edited by pslewis; 11 November 2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11 November 2007, 06:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
A 42" LG Plasma is the best .... by quite a margin.

Do NOT buy from CURRYS, DIXONS or PCWORLD!!

John Lewis all the way amd an LG Plasma - thats what I would do! :Thumb:
can we have the pros and cons of plasma and lcd??

ive heard and read into detail that plasma fades after so long, by 50ish%

whats the drawback for lcd, besides the obvious dead pixels.
Old 11 November 2007, 06:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Plasma 10,000 hours to lose 1/2 light - or whatever it's called
Old 11 November 2007, 06:37 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Plasma 10,000 hours to lose 1/2 light - or whatever it's called
so if you have your tv on for an average of 8 hours a day (i work nights, she works days), thats about 4 years worth....
Old 11 November 2007, 06:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

About the time you'll be able to buy a 50" Plasma for £199, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it!
Old 11 November 2007, 06:55 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

About the time you'll be able to buy a 50" Plasma for £199, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it!
a decent well branded one like lg though pete. not some crap off ebay
Old 11 November 2007, 06:57 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

For large screens: Plasma every time

The main differences between plasma and LCD are weight and picture quality. Plasma being better and heavier - so plasma requires better brackets (and walls ). Lifespan is about the same (LCDs have backlights; these do lose brightness as well after 10,000 hours )

LCD is great for small screens where backlight bleed is less of an issue or for PC displays and great if one is a blind cheapskate who won't notice the picture qulaity issues. Otherwise, they are flawed.

First thing you'll note (and regret) when sat infront of a freshly bought 37"+ LCD is when you sit infront a DVD movie in a darkened room, and see the backlight bleeding through at the bottom and sides. Not to mention the blacks being grey.

I know it annoys the hell out of me - even on a 22" PC monitor. Granted certain models are better than other's but I'm yet to find one that is perfect, improved over older LCDs, yes, better than Plasma...not yet.

IMO
Old 11 November 2007, 07:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
For large screens: Plasma every time

The main differences between plasma and LCD are weight and picture quality. Plasma being better and heavier - so plasma requires better brackets (and walls ). Lifespan is about the same (LCDs have backlights; these do lose brightness as well after 10,000 hours )

LCD is great for small screens where backlight bleed is less of an issue or for PC displays and great if one is a blind cheapskate who won't notice the picture qulaity issues. Otherwise, they are flawed.

First thing you'll note (and regret) when sat infront of a freshly bought 37"+ LCD is when you sit infront a DVD movie in a darkened room, and see the backlight bleeding through at the bottom and sides. Not to mention the blacks being grey.

I know it annoys the hell out of me - even on a 22" PC monitor. Granted certain models are better than other's but I'm yet to find one that is perfect, improved over older LCDs, yes, better than Plasma...not yet.

IMO
but dont plasmas have the problem of shadowing pictures? like for sport and movies when fast paced...
Old 11 November 2007, 07:27 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I have a Panasonic 42PX70 plasma. You can't go far wrong with one of these, £800 ought to be possible.
Old 11 November 2007, 07:29 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
but dont plasmas have the problem of shadowing pictures? like for sport and movies when fast paced...
Thought you didn't want to get all **** about it?! Don't see any evidence of this on mine.
Old 11 November 2007, 07:30 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Thought you didn't want to get all **** about it?! Don't see any evidence of this on mine.
wouldnt say its ****, shadowing could real spoil your viewing pleasure. more so than a green pixel.
Old 11 November 2007, 07:50 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Yes, can be an issue. LCD also suffer similar issues on some LCDs on fast moving objects.

Colours is another one. Both LCD and Plasma suffer - especially in graduations between a dark colour to a light shade of the same colour.

Thing is, there are better and worse models of each technology. Not to mention picture processing which is what is used to help address the above issues, which without can ruin a good screen.

At the present time in the £800 bracket I don't think there are many large-size LCDs that are comparable to a similar priced plasma. But equally on the same level, I wouldn't use that as a justification to buy the cheapest Plasma; as it probably will have inferior picture processing.

Swings and roundabouts

<cough, get a Viera >
Old 11 November 2007, 07:54 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

For £750, you can get a Panasonic Viera 42" plasma with pedestal AND 5 year guarantee. Better than any other on the market at the price.
Old 11 November 2007, 11:02 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Originally Posted by Bug Eyed Peas
Wheres PSL when you need him?

I agree. I bought my Panasonic Viera Plasma about 3 weeks ago and happy as can be.

LCD's are more popular if you are a gamer.
Old 11 November 2007, 11:14 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

Another recommendation for the Panasonic TH42PX70

Got mine last week after a lot of searching & reviews etc. Cannot recommend it highly enough!

Bought mine from electrical123.com for £740 delivered although i've just checked and they are no longer showing it. Service was top notch.

My boss came round to see it after hearing me rave about it, he has a 42" LCD that cost over twice the price I paid and is now as sick as a dog

BTW It also won the What HiFi 42" Plasma of the year this year!
Old 11 November 2007, 11:26 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Another Panny Viera fan here. I've had mine since May. Looked at Sony stuff at 3 times the price, but while it was noticeably better, it wasn't 3 times as good. Pete will tell you that LG is better than Panny, but his is faulty. I don't recall anyone posting a thread about a faulty Panny. Also, if you want to do the home cinema experience, don't get an LCD. I have a 26" Sony Bravia in the other room which cost more than the Viera. The picture quality is suberb, but it lights the room up when you are watching just about anything
Old 11 November 2007, 11:42 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of stories of crap Panasonics on the web if you care to look, just as many as LG's.

I bought mine on purely Picture Quality and, from what I saw, the LG blew everything else out into the weeds - it was, is and will be stunning in the PQ department.

I went to buy a Panasonic Viera - came out with an LG ...... my eyes don't lie, the LG made the poor Viera look rather ordinary, plain and not very appealing.

Add to the mix that the Viera has a crappy looking Cabinet - the LGs piano black surround looks awesome - and the Viera loses on almost all counts.

Now, as to where to buy said LG Plasma? Go to somewhere who will look after you and you won't go far wrong ...... John Lewis?
Old 11 November 2007, 11:46 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

And while you are there, do a search on Scoobynet for crap LG customer service.

(Pete - My Viera has a black cabinet - The only question I have ever had it that it has a 1080p chip, but isn't truely 1080p... apparently - Not sure if this is the case with LG, but no-one has ever been able to explain the difference)
Old 11 November 2007, 11:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It's CURRYS Customer Service which is currently crap .......... not tested LGs Service for a while now
Old 12 November 2007, 12:06 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but if you buy a Panny from Currys and you aren't happy with the halfwits from Currys, get in touch with Panasonic and they will sort it in two days. I had a problem with a camcorder a couple of years ago. In my ignorance I asked for features that were not available at that time. When I got it home I realised this was the case. I went back to Currys and they told me that no camcorder could do what I wanted, so it was tough. I contacted Panasonic and they credited a full refund to my card and sent a courier to pick it up
Old 12 November 2007, 12:12 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Yeah, but if you buy a Panny from Currys and you aren't happy with the halfwits from Currys, get in touch with Panasonic and they will sort it in two days. I had a problem with a camcorder a couple of years ago. In my ignorance I asked for features that were not available at that time. When I got it home I realised this was the case. I went back to Currys and they told me that no camcorder could do what I wanted, so it was tough. I contacted Panasonic and they credited a full refund to my card and sent a courier to pick it up
I have no doubt Panasonic may well look after their customers, probably better than LG does.

CURRYS are just awful ... on the other thread you will see an example of what monkeys these Electrical Superstores employ Complete and utter baffoons

Back on track - my LG has a fantastic PQ ..... yes a flashing pixel, but I will be refunded in full for that
Old 12 November 2007, 12:15 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

eventually..... Having shortened your life buy at least a day due to stress
Old 12 November 2007, 12:16 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Bug Eyed Peas
:

I second that !
Old 12 November 2007, 12:23 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
eventually..... Having shortened your life buy at least a day due to stress
I feed off this kind of stuff .......................
Old 12 November 2007, 12:29 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Ventured into Currys today. Saw a SONY 40" LCD with 5 year guarantee for £699. Thought that seemed pretty good, think it was the 2530 model.
Old 12 November 2007, 12:44 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

I feed off this kind of stuff .......................

You feed off dying younger due to stress? - You looking for a new job? I could give you something with loads of stress

Quick Reply: What 42" LCD?