Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Motorists v cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2007, 07:52 PM
***Nemesis***
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Motorists v cyclists

If I get to March without killing one it's going to be a miracle.

Tonights contenders for the Darwin award on a twisty NSL unlit country road :

lights? NO
reflective clothing? NO
reflector on bike? NO

How they could see where they were going beats me but I know that should I not have spotted them in time it would undoubtedly been held to be my fault.

Roll on BST.
Old 30 October 2007, 08:30 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Though I don't condone this behaviour by anyone, I have 2 modes with this sort of stuff.

If the cyclist is a kid I generally have some concern/worry about them. If it's a bricky or factory worker in his 30s on his way home I just think "what a c*ck", old enough to know better and could probably afford the kit if he wanted to.

J.
Old 30 October 2007, 09:15 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

You forgot

INSURANCE ... No
Old 30 October 2007, 09:15 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here we go again
Old 30 October 2007, 09:25 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Seems Darwin is mentioned in every other thread these days
Old 30 October 2007, 09:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Red face

got some liberal use of teh f word and worse this arvo for not indicating when taking the 2nd exit on a roundabout and virtually wiping* out Mr.lycra clad go faster who had taken the gamble to press on ....

*actually i was yards off but caused him to go where i was going (temparaily)and un-clip
Old 30 October 2007, 09:53 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

You forgot

INSURANCE ... No
Wrong

https://quote.cycleinsurancedirect.co.uk/

Cycling over 4,000 commuting miles a year, I'd be mad not to......

PS Please not another thread on the same old debate
Old 30 October 2007, 10:03 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SiPie

PS Please not another thread on the same old debate
On Scoobynet no
Old 30 October 2007, 10:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Not too many of them seem to spot their name on the front of this popular book

FWIW, I'd make cycling proficiency, highway code and green cross code part of the primary school curriculum. Helmets mandatory. Insurance compulsory for over 14's, with under 14's restricted to 40mph roads and under. At 14 a further advanced CPT along with the current theory and hazard test. Lights (functioning) to be carried at all times and uphold the law whereby they must be used after dark. Enforcement on all of the above and suitable penalties, as well as enforcement of the usual traffic laws which we all should adhere to but cyclists seem to think don't apply to them

Last edited by corradoboy; 30 October 2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 30 October 2007, 10:14 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

So does this mean the rest of us can get away with 40 + on our bikes
Old 30 October 2007, 10:23 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

FWIW, I'd make cycling proficiency, highway code and green cross code part of the primary school curriculum. Helmets mandatory. Insurance compulsory for over 14's, with under 14's restricted to 40mph roads and under. At 14 a further advanced CPT along with the current theory and hazard test. Lights (functioning) to be carried at all times and uphold the law whereby they must be used after dark. Enforcement on all of the above and suitable penalties, as well as enforcement of the usual traffic laws which we all should adhere to but mostcyclists seem to think don't apply to them

So does this mean the rest of us can get away with 40 + on our bikes
42.7mph yesterday morning, Liberton Brae (allegedly)
Old 30 October 2007, 10:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ***Nemesis***
lights? NO - Legal requirementduring dark hours
reflective clothing? NO - Not required by law
reflector on bike? NO - Legal requirement
You could have driven over the top of him and sued his estate for the damage, psychological trauma, potential injury, loss of earnings etc etc

As always, on the road if you aren't within the law then you have no right to be there, and your presence therefore in any accident is the cause, whether or not you actually caused it probably
Old 30 October 2007, 10:37 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I had a 40+ factory worker this evening coming straight at me with none of the above mentioned bicycle accessories

He was also on my side of the road too
Old 30 October 2007, 10:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

When you say you had im .....
Old 31 October 2007, 12:05 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I had a 40+ factory worker this evening coming straight at me with none of the above mentioned bicycle accessories

He was also on my side of the road too
Was he Polish? Maybe he forgot...
Old 31 October 2007, 08:12 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Although I'm getting on a bit, I still thoroughly (most of the time) enjoy my mountain biking. I am insured. I do use two rear lights, both bright LED's one on and one flashing, I have an HID front light and I do make sure that the clothing I wear at night has reflective strips in them.
I dont ride in cities, its always rural rides. I need to use the roads to get from off road bit to off road bit. Being both a motorist and a motorcyclist I do try and ride with consideration for other road users. Every time I go out I fear for my life, people seem to aim at me, or want to pass me as closely as possible. Lorries and people on the phone are the worst, having had several 'very' close shaves.
I know you see some real ***** out there, dark clothes, no lights, cutting in front of the traffic as if they feel they have some kind of protective force field around them.
But you want to give it a go, its nerve racking.
So please be aware of the bikers, (pedal and motorised) ....................
Old 31 October 2007, 09:36 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Being both a motorist and a motorcyclist I do try and ride with consideration for other road users. Every time I go out I fear for my life, people seem to aim at me, or want to pass me as closely as possible. Lorries and people on the phone are the worst, having had several 'very' close shaves.
I know you see some real ***** out there, dark clothes, no lights, cutting in front of the traffic as if they feel they have some kind of protective force field around them.
Old 31 October 2007, 09:48 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
You could have driven over the top of him and sued his estate for the damage, psychological trauma, potential injury, loss of earnings etc etc

As always, on the road if you aren't within the law then you have no right to be there, and your presence therefore in any accident is the cause, whether or not you actually caused it probably
thought you were a driving instructor?
Old 31 October 2007, 09:51 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
Although I'm getting on a bit, I still thoroughly (most of the time) enjoy my mountain biking. I am insured. I do use two rear lights, both bright LED's one on and one flashing, I have an HID front light and I do make sure that the clothing I wear at night has reflective strips in them.
I dont ride in cities, its always rural rides. I need to use the roads to get from off road bit to off road bit. Being both a motorist and a motorcyclist I do try and ride with consideration for other road users. Every time I go out I fear for my life, people seem to aim at me, or want to pass me as closely as possible. Lorries and people on the phone are the worst, having had several 'very' close shaves.
yes, but you clearly don't fit the OP's stereotype, therefore have no place here - me neither!

I reckon part of the driving test should involve standing 3' into a narrow de-restricted road, having the examiner pass you at 60+ 2' away and see if you think that's a sensible way to drive.
Old 31 October 2007, 12:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree with and support what r32 said and also want to say that if all other cyclists had the same responsible approach, and also if certain drivers acted in the same way by giving cyclists plenty of room when they overtake them etc., we would have a load of very much happier people on the roads. And hopefully considerably less two wheelers on the pavements!

Les
Old 31 October 2007, 12:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Id have to say when i did commute to work (7miles) nobody would actually target me as has been rumoured..! anything but indeed most drivers give you too much space if anything almost entirley taking away the 'lift' factor .

If its a narrow road ( start of my journey) of course things are rather more precarious - and you do have to make your presence FELT.

I did once get a 'shove' by a panel sided van on a main single track road where it narrowed going over a crest ,managed to stay on thankfully
Old 31 October 2007, 01:07 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Which is why you'll find me well away from the kerb when cycling to work.
Seems the only way to survive on a bike on the road is to make people slow down when they pass you. I used to practically ride in the gutter so I never got in the way but all that did was encourage idiots to drive past 2 inches away at top speed.
I wear all the protective gear and have insurance but I agree with the above that many don't. I've been sat waiting patiently at traffic lights many times to have some plonker cycle past me through the red light - no wonder these people give us all a bad name.
Old 31 October 2007, 01:22 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I agree with and support what r32 said and also want to say that if all other cyclists had the same responsible approach, and also if certain drivers acted in the same way by giving cyclists plenty of room when they overtake them etc., we would have a load of very much happier people on the roads. And hopefully considerably less two wheelers on the pavements!
Well said Les

I've been sat waiting patiently at traffic lights many times to have some plonker cycle past me through the red light - no wonder these people give us all a bad name.
Totally agree