Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Drum Kits

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2007, 10:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drum Kits

My middle son is ten in a couple of weeks and he wants a drum kit and lessons, any drummers on here, what do we need to look for, is this any good ?

eBay.co.uk: New Complete, Full Size 7 Piece Pro Black Drum Kit -UK! (item 320117635342 end time 01-Jun-07 21:08:33 BST)

What are the electronic pad based ones like, we like the thought of no noise and the fact they take up less space but can you learn to drum on them ?
Old 31 May 2007, 11:14 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi J4cko

I'm no expert having just started learning myself (at the tender age of 44). However, I've just bought an ex-demo Roland TD-03 and it rocks. I bought the one that's got the mesh head snare drum and it sounds like the real deal. You can plug your mp3 player in and gig along like like Bonzo or Peart and make a respectable sound. I have a lesson once a week on an acoustic kit and I have no problem switching between the two.

If space and noise wasn't a consideration, I'd go acoustic but electronic (for the time being) rocks!

Check out Roland's website at ROLAND MUSIC - REDIRECT and let your lad have a go locally.

Cheers
kav
Old 31 May 2007, 11:23 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Hate to admit it, but Bubba Poo is your man.

Have you seen the video of his son bashing away? Not bad at all - upstages the old man on guitar....

I expect someone can post the link, but he would be my first port of call....

Old 31 May 2007, 11:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Hate to admit it, but Bubba Poo is your man.

Have you seen the video of his son bashing away? Not bad at all - upstages the old man on guitar....

That just sounds wrong !
Old 31 May 2007, 11:39 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by J4CKO
That just sounds wrong !
LOL

OK, let me rephrase.. Geoff's son is quite a niffty drummer, taught I assume, by his father. Therefore, asking him could be a good place to start your search for advice.
Old 01 June 2007, 12:37 AM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Hi, I've been playing drums for 22 years and have taught quite a few people from scratch.

My advice is to buy what you can afford, especially on the shells themselves.

The kit looks ok and if your' son is serious then you may need to upgrade the hardware, ie:stands and pedals.

My advise would be to buy the kit, change the heads for a decent make like REMO or EVANS and see how it goes. If it doesn't go to plan then you havn't spent too many £££ and you can sell the kit on.

Also remember, a kit will only sound as good as it is tuned. Cymbals should be ok for a beginner, they are expensive items especially when you start to buy decent ones............. I have £3k worth of cymbals alone !

Snare drum, bottom head(snare) should always be tighter than top head(batter), tom-toms will generally be the reverse but it's all trial and error and down to personal preference.

Good luck and tell your lad to "stick" at it.............. it's brilliant especially when you get in a good, tight, rockin' band....................

Pm me if you have any more Q's.

Si.

ps:inform the neighbours aswell b4 he starts bashing.
Old 01 June 2007, 08:49 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi my mate's been a drummer for 20 years (started at the same age as your youngster). He recommends you look for a second hand "Pearl" drumkit, which will cost £300 or so. He rekons the one shown wil not be up to much and won't last long.

Hope this helps.
Old 01 June 2007, 10:07 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I'd like to buy a kit too because of noise, cash and space considerations I'd have to go for an electronic kit.

This Alesis DM5 is available for about £300 Alesis :: DM5 Kit and theres also kits by Legacy (who?) at about the same price.
Legacy Musical Instruments, DD505 Digital Drum Kit

I'm not looking to become Neil Peart (Although I now prefer to listen to Gavin Harrison as a drummer-hero) I just want to have a bash around and a bit of fun.

G.

Last edited by GaryCat; 01 June 2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01 June 2007, 10:56 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Those rubber pads really are horrid to play on. If you go electronic then no one really touches Roland and their mesh heads - you shoulc be able to get a full set for under £1000 these days and they will hold their value too.

As for the cheap kit above, spend a bit more and get a good brand.

eg: Wembley Drum Centre :: Drum Kits from Yamaha, Pearl, Tama, Mapex, Sonor and Drum Workshop (DW)