Cuba ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2007, 03:53 PM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuba ?

Ok folks of to Cuba in 10 weeks ,

3 nights in Havana then 11 nights in Varadero so what i need to know is what currency to take with me change my sterling to euros then change over there ?

Wheres the best place to change it once i am over there ?

I know someone on here will have info on this so thanks in advance lol

Pongo555
Old 27 March 2007, 04:05 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Just use £ and change it over there. (at official forex places)
Old 27 March 2007, 04:45 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Get Dollars over there
Old 27 March 2007, 05:14 PM
Neverguess
BANNED

Havana is fabulous but Varadero is a bit sucky The Mambo Club is a good laugh on the peninsula Varedero is still a lovely place but quite dull.

Have a fabulous time though
Old 27 March 2007, 05:27 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

It's bog roll you want to be worrying about, when I went it was in very short supply. Was a few years ago though.

In one restaurant you were proudly handed two sheets on the way into the loo, I kid you not

Allan
Old 27 March 2007, 05:35 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

take sterling and change it over there - unless anything has changed since my honeymoon in jan 05 you can't take the "tourist" currency in or out of cuba. we did exactly the same as you - 3 nights in havana (real cuba) and then sat about for the remaining 11 nights at sandals (USA in cuba!).

we walked all over the place in havana. were approached by prostitutes, beggars and cuban couples also claiming to be on their honeymoon (followed by "why don't all four of us go to a local bar and compare wedding stories - yeah right). having said that, we didn't feel uncomfortable anywhere and the streets are pretty well patroled by police etc.

research your cigar requirements before you go! and make sure you put away lots of mojitos! ps - if you smoke cigarettes, take them with you as it's unlikely you'll be able to buy what you're used to
Old 27 March 2007, 08:09 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

off to cuba in two and a half weeks for the honeymoon,anyone on here been to coyo coco ?

The hotel is called melia coyo coco,it looks stunning in the brochure and online,just wondered if anyone has any personal experiences ??

cheers mark
Old 27 March 2007, 08:30 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Gorgeous beaches, talcum sand and pale blue seas. Havana is full of fantastic history. People are friendly, music is good. Only thing that let theplace down was the quality of food( but that may have changed as I went about 5 years ago) I stayed in Varadero and took a day trip to Havana.

There is a restaurant that I'm trying to remember the name of in Varadero. Its in the former stately home/mansion of some old 1920s industrialist/billionaire. View from the bar is fab

Good luck

Good luck
Old 27 March 2007, 08:37 PM
spursfc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
off to cuba in two and a half weeks for the honeymoon,anyone on here been to coyo coco ?

The hotel is called melia coyo coco,it looks stunning in the brochure and online,just wondered if anyone has any personal experiences ??

cheers mark
Yes fella I went there in 2005 for my honeymoon. I'm divorced now so hope it's not a jinx!! Seriously it's beautiful place, nice hotel and locals are very friendly. If you get a lagoon room then it's a bonus (think you will as you are on your honeymoon). Pool is large and restaurants are nice (the lagoon one is best).

If you're into playing footy get involved with the organised games as you mix it up with the locals who are quite passionate and take it quite seriously!

Only bad points are mossies (take loads of repellent) and it's quite quiet,which can either be a good or bad thing depending on what you want from your hols. Also remember a 5 star hotel in Cuba is the equivalent of a 4 star in Europe, If you go with that in mind you will have a great time!

Oh and finally take any old sports tops (particularly baseball/footy) and give them away to the locals as they love it. They are very poor so any free stuff they love. I had an old Boston Red Sox cap and gave it to one of the gardeners at the end of the holiday and he acted like he'd just won the lottery! See if you can spot him!
Old 27 March 2007, 10:07 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

No, take euros as they always go for the stronger currency.

Enjoy it while you can, Castro might be a ****, but at least there is order there (for now).

Been there liked it, dunno if I'll go back though, was more than 10 years ago.....
Old 28 March 2007, 08:48 PM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice folks always good to hear first hand from other people that have been !!!

Pongo555