Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Horrific crash 30 yards from my house yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2006, 01:19 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Horrific crash 30 yards from my house yesterday

I got home from work to see the side road blocked off, and around 6 fire engines, and about 9 police cars

This is what has been reported on the local papers web site

'A man was rushed to hospital suffering serious injuries following the smash in Sutton Manor. He was taken to Whiston Hospital where his condition is described as serious, a police spokesman said.
The 29-year-old was driving a Peugeot 306 when it collided with a heavy goods vehicle on Chapel Lane at around 2.45pm on Wednesday (December 20).
Firefighters spent almost an hour cutting the driver from the wreckage of his vehicle after his car became trapped under the HGV lorry. He was rushed to hospital at around 4.15pm with injuries to both arms, legs, head and neck.
The road was closed until 7pm that evening as police moved the lorry and the car from the road and cleared debris.
The HGV driver escaped injury was treated for shock at the scene by ambulance crews.
(blob) Witnesses should call police on 0151 777 5730.

Now I have found out that the man in question has a wife (who is pregnant,) and has two daughters, one of them is a friend of the eldest (Sibling Jealousy thread) from school

I do hope he makes a good recovery, and I beleive he spent last year in hospital too, with meningitis, and had made a full recovery from that

What kind of Christmas is that for him his wife and family yet again, it is very serious, and he is allowed no visitors and is still in intensive care

It could have quite easily have been me, as its a road I go on every single day, and somedays (its a small country lane) that HGV drivers use to short cut the 300 yards of dual carriageway and roundabout, in fact if you look at the road (if you knew it) they have absolutly no real reason to use it, not even out of laziness

and the odd morning I have had to dodge the oncoming HGV that decides to use my side of the lane to come around the blind bend

It has gone quite icy on that section of road too

Sort of puts things into perspective a little
Old 22 December 2006, 01:23 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crazy ****, he will look back in a few years and not be bothered it ruined his xmas because he was glad it didnt ruin his life

seatbelt saved him, belt up people
Old 22 December 2006, 08:31 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Not good Sonic (I know where you live)... The only time I used your road was to avoid the Rainhill roundabout roadworks... Most traffic has no business going down your way really...
If the truck was to blame then it does put things into perspective a little... It's that time of year I hate driving anywhere, no-one is concentrating on the roads, everyone is worrying about whether Aunt Ethels present will suit her, or whether there's enough valium in the house to sedate the kids on xmas eve...
While I'm at it, merry xmas fella...
Old 22 December 2006, 09:09 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Any serious accident tends to have a HGV involved and more often than not the HGV driver escapes OK while the chap in the car is a mess. See so many driving like idiots. I see more HGV drivers on mobiles than people in cars.

Hope the chap recovers Ok.
Old 22 December 2006, 01:10 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yep I think HGV drivers are very poor, supposed to be kings of the road.

Drove back from Stansted late on weds night in the fog, some idiotic HGV driver is going past cars on a dual carriageway at quite a speed (that have obviously slowed down because of the fog).

Have you ever noticed how many more lorries overtake cars when its wet? Because the car drivers alter their speed whilst the lorry drivers dont!

Muppets!
Old 22 December 2006, 01:19 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
Yep I think HGV drivers are very poor, supposed to be kings of the road.

Drove back from Stansted late on weds night in the fog, some idiotic HGV driver is going past cars on a dual carriageway at quite a speed (that have obviously slowed down because of the fog).

Have you ever noticed how many more lorries overtake cars when its wet? Because the car drivers alter their speed whilst the lorry drivers dont!

Muppets!

cos it doesnt take any shorter distance to slow 100 tonnes down in the wet than the dry.....

or so alot seem to think
Old 22 December 2006, 01:28 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

had a bit of a shock a few years back, sitting in the front room watching TV at about 11 at night when there was the loudest bang I’ve ever heard!

opened the curtains and a drink driver had smashed through our fence, through the neighbors and into the their Bungalow!

Luckily they weren’t in as the car went partially through the bedroom of the owners smashing the bed to the other side of the room!

Driver and passenger both legged it but were caught..

Hate to think if it'd been earlier and my little brother and sister were playing in the garden!
Old 03 January 2007, 02:04 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

been told today that after being put into a coma, the mans life support has been turned off as he was making no progress

He was allegedly speeding and on his mobile phone at the time
Old 03 January 2007, 02:06 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Harsh, but if he was doing neither of the two no no's then he'd still be here today more than likely.
Old 03 January 2007, 02:10 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

quite possibly, but it is also a road that HGV drivers shouldnt be using, and they HAVE to use the wrong side of the road, as they cant fit down it otherwise
Old 04 January 2007, 12:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I hope he recovers fully too. Nasty business that.

L:es
Old 04 January 2007, 12:46 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

He died on new year's eve.

Agreed, that road is FAR too narrow to have HGV's driving up or down it.
Old 04 January 2007, 12:47 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Les, I suggest you make more effort to read the replies in the thread...."the mans life support has been turned off as he was making no progress".
Old 04 January 2007, 12:54 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Any serious accident tends to have a HGV involved and more often than not the HGV driver escapes OK while the chap in the car is a mess.
Not the case at all chap.

Of the 9 fatals I attended last week, only 1 involved a LGV, and the driver of that wound up dead.

The incident involving the National Express coach last night (declared a major incident); at this time its thought no other vehicle was involved and the driver of the coach has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Bit of a sweeping statement tbh
Old 04 January 2007, 01:46 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
quite possibly, but it is also a road that HGV drivers shouldnt be using, and they HAVE to use the wrong side of the road, as they cant fit down it otherwise
In which case, tragic as the outcome was, the deceased should have been making allowances for the road conditions.
Old 04 January 2007, 04:06 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

hope he has a better out come, im not a fan with hgv as my mum, auntie and cousin nearly died, my mum parked up at the side of a road under the bonnet while my auntie was in the front and cousin in the back, the car had hazzards on and the lorry hit the back of the car, the being an A reg sierra then and my mum is only 5ft nothin, the lorry sent her flying and totalled the car completley, it was that bad it wasnt much bigger than a metro, the lorry driver fell a sleep and all he got was susended from his job, fooking joke, my dad spent 2 weeks on the war path for him.
Old 04 January 2007, 04:56 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

hope who has a better outcome ?

the guy by me (the one the thread relates to) died, his life support was turned off New Years Eve

I agree Diablo, that yes he should have made allowances, he should have also made allowances that this time of year that road gets incredibly slippy with black ice etc

He shouldnt have been speeding, or been on his phone at the time of the crash, all factors which sadly contributed to his death, one of the main reasons I refuse to use my phone in the car, despite my bossess telling me I should