Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speeding - court papers through - wrong number plate !

Old 27 October 2006, 07:59 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding - court papers through - wrong number plate !

Hi,

My missus got caught doing over a tonne some weeks back.

Something like average speed of 102

Anyhow, the court papers came through and she's filled them in and sent them back.

Now, I've just seen the papers and the number plate is wrong on all the paper work.

Is this enough to get the case thrown out on a techincality ?

ie, if they couldn't write down the plate of a stationary vehicle then how do we know they were paying enough attention to everything else, ie speed etc etc.

Looking for any advice ......
Old 27 October 2006, 08:19 PM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

Mmmm problem there is that they must have your correct reg on there files(this is how they know who owns the car) and it is an admin error which will allow them to change it at a later date. Now if it had been a ticket issued with the wrong Reg on then, you have a case.

But what do I know??? I only contest parking tickets, am winning 4 - 1 though.......
Old 27 October 2006, 08:26 PM
jaydut
Scooby Regular

maybe if you let it go to court without sayin anything and then pipe up that the paper works wrong tell em now and if its clerical they could change it.

but dont hold me to that check it out first.

over a tons a ban innit
Old 27 October 2006, 08:29 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I bet if we had that 'Nick' chap on our side he'd get someone off with an error like that, although he's charges £1000's to do it !

Yep, think she's looking at a ban.

First offence in 20yrs of driving, so that might help a little !

Ironic thing is that she has had all sorts of modded cars in the past, big power etc, and now has switched to a TDi car and got caught in that...

She even laughed when she got stopped, for being in an oil burner
Old 27 October 2006, 08:40 PM
jaydut
Scooby Regular

do an alex ferguson and say if you didnt get to a toilet quick you were goin to **** yourself he got off on that one.
Old 27 October 2006, 08:47 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Same happened to me. I found out they had put the coppers reg down instead, a white v6 omega. I said nothing, got to court, and before they started the other side piped up and asked for an amendment of the reg saying they summonsed the wrong plate but have the right reg in front of them. The magistrate asked if I was ok with this, I stepped out and had a word with the free brief (probably a know nothing) and he said the magistrate was free to accept the proposal from the prosecution. I accepted it when I got back inside and got 6 points and 100 quid fine with 35 costs. I was averaging 100.3 mph but I was actually doing much more than this.

I suppose with a proper brief it's possible you'd get off with it, but the likes of Nick Freeman (sp?) don't come cheap and for me 135 quid was nothing.
Old 27 October 2006, 09:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marklemac
Hi,

My missus got caught doing over a tonne some weeks back.

Something like average speed of 102

Anyhow, the court papers came through and she's filled them in and sent them back.

Now, I've just seen the papers and the number plate is wrong on all the paper work.

ie, if they couldn't write down the plate of a stationary vehicle then how do we know they were paying enough attention to everything else, ie speed etc etc.

Looking for any advice ......
Try Googling for "slip rule"..... Unfortunately small disrepancies like this only make a difference on American television.
Old 27 October 2006, 09:27 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Slip rule might not apply in this case, having a completely wrong registration could be fatal, especially if the cps dont realise the cockup, before the trial starts(important point)

Firstly has your wife pleaded guilty or not guilty? If shes pleaded guilty, she could withdraw this and go NG. The downside to this is, if the cps get wind of the registration cockup and then she found guilty, the punishment will probably be harsher.

go over to pepipoo

Andy
Old 27 October 2006, 09:34 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marklemac
the court papers came through and she's filled them in and sent them back.

It may well have been. But by filling in and returning the 'papers' whatever they were (NIP summons?) she has already basically admitted liability. Looks like you've blown it there....
Old 27 October 2006, 09:54 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Basically, getting the reg wrong is not a technicality, they know who you are, and have proof you did the speed, you're fooked!
Old 27 October 2006, 10:54 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Take the ban, and say you can afford a big fine.
I got 42 days for 116 in an oil burner coming back from a dive trip.
fine was something like 300 squid and the time flew by.

Andy
Old 28 October 2006, 12:07 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin-STI
But what do I know??? I only contest parking tickets, am winning 4 - 1 though.......

Interesting statistic.

I was at TfL this morning with a trucking company and another courier company (amongst others). The truckers reckoned that they won 30% of all their claims against parking in the London area. The courier company currently wins 80%

They are the biggest London company probably, with 1400 (claim) vehicles out there. A good proportion of those are owner drivers but I would estimate 500+ vehicles for which they would get the ticket.

They actually employ a full time person just to deal with these + have another part-time clerk.

We are a smaller company, we just pay every single ticket and deduct the money from the driver...

Oh, as a guide, we received 65 tickets or PCNs or Notice to Owners last week.
Old 28 October 2006, 12:40 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Interesting statistic.

I was at TfL this morning with a trucking company and another courier company (amongst others). The truckers reckoned that they won 30% of all their claims against parking in the London area. The courier company currently wins 80%

They are the biggest London company probably, with 1400 (claim) vehicles out there. A good proportion of those are owner drivers but I would estimate 500+ vehicles for which they would get the ticket.

They actually employ a full time person just to deal with these + have another part-time clerk.

We are a smaller company, we just pay every single ticket and deduct the money from the driver...

Oh, as a guide, we received 65 tickets or PCNs or Notice to Owners last week.

Are you now considering paying those fines??

I have personally observed several council employed wardens typing out tickets, waiting the 30 seconds for the parking time to come into force, and then slapping the ticket on.

All money making industries expect to give out rebates, and don't put resources into those that complain.