Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Forget Rip-off Britain, now it's SELL-OFF Britain...

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2006, 11:09 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Forget Rip-off Britain, now it's SELL-OFF Britain...

After seeing on yesterday's news that the Aussies want to buy Thames Water, and that EDF, (French Electricity), own huge amounts of our electricity companies and gas supply, this morning's bulletin carried an article about the INDIAN Steel company, Tata Steel possibly tabling a £4.1 BILLION bid for Corus, which used to be known as British Steel.

God only knows what THAT will mean for jobs in the UK steelworks, and I live in the town with the biggest It CAN'T be good news

What has happened to the UK???

Alcazar
Old 18 October 2006, 11:25 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar

Alcazar
Previously nationalised industries got privatised and listed on the stock exchange and then someone bought all the shares.
Its not that difficult.
Old 18 October 2006, 11:25 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

doubt many jobs will go tbh, i've worked in the construction industry (for a fabrictor and then engineer) for 5 years and its been in gradual decline anyway. cheap imports have lready killed of the british steel market, very few rolling mills etc left now
Old 18 October 2006, 11:57 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alcazar
Scoobynet's beloved Tories sold off half the country, that's what!!

Still let's all balme New Labour for that too
Old 18 October 2006, 11:59 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I personally think that the utilities should never have been privatised. The public are seeing the consequences now of course. Its a national treasure sold off for short term gain.

Les
Old 18 October 2006, 12:05 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Corus wasnt British anyway.
Old 18 October 2006, 12:29 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TVR - Today
Old 18 October 2006, 12:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

After seeing on yesterday's news that the Aussies want to buy Thames Water, and that EDF, (French Electricity), own huge amounts of our electricity companies and gas supply, this morning's bulletin carried an article about the INDIAN Steel company, Tata Steel possibly tabling a £4.1 BILLION bid for Corus, which used to be known as British Steel.

God only knows what THAT will mean for jobs in the UK steelworks, and I live in the town with the biggest It CAN'T be good news

Alcazar
Corus was is Dutch! As is Shell Fuels!
Old 18 October 2006, 01:16 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Well your all forgetting Indian already own all the call centres
Old 18 October 2006, 01:18 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting till they offshore the 999 service
Old 18 October 2006, 01:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

FTI of the two poster about Corus: Corus IS Anglo-Dutch and was founded when the then British Steel Comapny merged with, (wasn't taken over by), Hoogevens of Holland, the Dutch Steel company.

Alcazar
Old 18 October 2006, 03:42 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f1_fan

Still let's all balme New Labour for that too
and there was I trying not to rub it in.
Old 18 October 2006, 03:55 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

And for those of you old enough - remember what it was like in the 70s with the unions wielding huge power through the nationalised industries - Labour had this country borrowing off the IMF just to survive. Nationalisation isn't the answer. All they did was hide the extent of the troubles that this country had then by employing 4 people for every 1 job (my godfather, who spent most of his working life in British Steel used to tell some great stories!).

Privatisation was a wake up call, but in a free market economy, a company is always open to be bought or sold. I know we get very attached to 'our' industries, but we either have to adopt some form of American protectionism or accept that we may not always control these companies.

Shell, btw is English - Royal Dutch, is not surprisingly from Holland and the group is now 'Anglo-Dutch'.
Old 18 October 2006, 06:34 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Yep they sold it to the British people, many who are still shareholders in this country.

Chip
Old 18 October 2006, 06:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Don't be naive, Chip, MOST of the shares went to big investors, and most of those have been sold on to foreign companies....

Alcazar
Old 18 October 2006, 06:52 PM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

Alcazar
It's happening with all nationalised industries. Next is the health service. I keep banging on about this one, but it's coming and some fat corporate cats from abroad will pocket lots of money creaming off the best bits of the health service while the rest of it crumbles . Recent reports of water companies being sold off after a couple of years and the owners making hundreds of millions of pounds will be repeated in time with companies that 'sell services to the NHS' being sold off and making lots of lolly for the owners. The policy pursued by the gvt, of course, is because of public demand. I haven't been asked what my demands are as a taxpayer and user of the health service - have any snetters?

Not too far from me the PCT has signed a contract with a South African company to assess all referrals to ENT and orthopaedics over a 5 year period. It (the NHS) will pay the company £25million a year for 5 years whether or not they see the agreed number of patients . The ENT dept which will loose it's work has been exceeding it's number of patients it sees and treating patients earlier than agreed natioinal targets. The reward will be that patients will be seen by teams flown in from SA in a shiney new department and the company concerned will make lots of money, even if they ***** up. Oh, and the hospital based ENT department may shut down.

Now that's improving public services and increasing 'choice'

Rant mode off!
Old 18 October 2006, 07:31 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Don't be naive, Chip, MOST of the shares went to big investors, and most of those have been sold on to foreign companies....

Alcazar
Well some of us with a bit of foresight did very well out of it thank you very much

Chip
Old 18 October 2006, 07:31 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thames Water was owned by a Germany company anyway wasn't it?
Old 18 October 2006, 07:53 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Thames Water was owned by a Germany company anyway wasn't it?
RWE owned Thames Water which is indeed German. Powergen is owned by Eon that is German, TVR is owned by a Russian,Chelsea, Man utd........the list is endless
Old 18 October 2006, 08:29 PM
Monkeybone
Scooby Regular

If water companies had not had been privatised then lots of the stuff they've done since would not have been possible if government run, the funds would just not have been there.
Old 18 October 2006, 08:56 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Our major airports are now owned by the Spanish. Which is another Govt ****-up. HMG used to own " a golden share " in the privatised airports.The EU declared "golden shares" to be illegal and ordered all EU Govts to givem them up. Ours did. Everyone elses said " F@ck that, we'll loose control of our airports". But hey, the Govt is happy, so that must be a good thing!

Last edited by FlightMan; 18 October 2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 18 October 2006, 10:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Well some of us with a bit of foresight did very well out of it thank you very much

Chip
Spoken like one of Thatcher's 'children'

Look at the bigger picture and see just how well off you are in the long term and even if you still are 'up on the deal' see just how many others aren't.

This place is freaking unbelievable at times.
Old 19 October 2006, 12:18 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Personally I don't care who owns what. Do I get a decent service (if not move elsewhere, it's a free market unlike nationalises industries) and does it offer value for money etc.

What HAS gone wrong (tories and NL alike although NL would have LESS excuse as they have the benefit of hindsight yet STILL manage to **** it up ) is the mismanagement of the regulatory bodies. Having said that ofcom seem to be regulating OK I suppose unlike ofwat!

It's down the govt, not who owns what. The govt can give the regulators powers and have them enforced but are they (the govt) ensuring this is all done ok, I don't think so.
Old 19 October 2006, 11:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Monkeybone
If water companies had not had been privatised then lots of the stuff they've done since would not have been possible if government run, the funds would just not have been there.
Give over

The privatised companies are doing repairs AND giving out big dividends, from their huge profits.

And who pays? The water users! YOU!

My water bill has risen about 7 fold since I was first married. If they weren't making such a huge profit, in order to pay dividends, it might only have been four times as much, or even less

Alcazar
Old 19 October 2006, 12:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

But NL are still borrowing off the IMF to survive Chris L.

Les
Old 19 October 2006, 12:37 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

We might help our own industry - if we bought British stuff For too long we have bought the cheapest manufactured goods & services mostly from overseas and are now paying the price...

Maybe get some ideas here Buy British to make the odd purchase a benefit to your friends, neighbours and family by keeping them in a job

Mick
Old 19 October 2006, 01:33 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Spoken like one of Thatcher's 'children'

Look at the bigger picture and see just how well off you are in the long term and even if you still are 'up on the deal' see just how many others aren't.

This place is freaking unbelievable at times.
Another Labour supporter trying to blame current problems on the tory government from years ago

So what exactly is good about the UK these days?
Old 19 October 2006, 01:40 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mick
Maybe get some ideas here Buy British to make the odd purchase a benefit to your friends, neighbours and family by keeping them in a job

Mick
I really don't understand that site, it's a load of rubbish really. I didn't know Gap was British? And buying stuff from Argos? Surely that gives you a 98% chance that the goods are made in China.

And none of those British banks use Indian call centres?
Old 19 October 2006, 02:58 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Another Labour supporter trying to blame current problems on the tory government from years ago

So what exactly is good about the UK these days?
LOL - so you judge my political bias based on one post - a mindreader you are not that is for sure.

This particular problem being discussed in this thread was very much the doing of Thatcher's government, but it is has been reinforced (sadly) by the current incumbents

Sadly I cannot lay claim to support either major party as they are both short termists out for their own political gain at the expense of the electorate and have been that way for the last 25 years at least.

Who's better - hard to say really, but once you have aligned yourself to one or other you end up supporting them implicitly as is witnessed by many on here when in actual fact none of them are any good for the country.

Ho hum!
Old 19 October 2006, 03:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sadly I cannot lay claim to support either major party as they are both short termists out for their own political gain at the expense of the electorate and have been that way for the last 25 years at least.
My thoughts in a nutshell I'd include the LibDems too

Alcazar

Quick Reply: Forget Rip-off Britain, now it's SELL-OFF Britain...