Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Audi A3 exhausts cracking

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2001, 02:46 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Know anyone with an Audi A3? Get them to check the exhaust!

My girlfriend has an S reg A3 1.6. Nice car, just what she wants, solid, etc. etc. She took it in to her local dealer for its 28,000 mile service the other day - all well & good.

When she picked it up the service guy told her that the exhaust was blowing and she'd need a new one before its MOT next month. Quoted about £120 + VAT + fitting!!

Muggins here doesn't believe said Audi man, so I borrowed the car and drove to work. Popped in to the Audi garage near my work one lunchtime last week to double check price and ask if we could pop it up on the ramp to take a look. Didn't tell them that I wanted to see if I could weld the crack in situ!

However, before I even get the car started so the mechanic can check, he dives underneath and thumps the exhaust!

Imagine my pleasant surprise when he says "The mounting's cracked - that's a warranty job, we've done a few of these!"

End result? Brand new mid section and back box fitted today - mountings had cracked on both!

Cost? Nothing - warranty fix with no quibbles!

So, top marks to the boys at Oxford Audi in Kidlington - guess where the car's going for its MOT and all future servicing?

Cheers,
Steve