Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Would you give your life?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2006, 09:30 PM
chump
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you give your life?

A bit deep i know but if there was a way where you could trade-off your life to save anothers - would you consider it?

I often see stories on the news about young kids dying and it devastating families or parents dying and leaving their kids without mum/dad....

If there was a way i'd trade-off my life in an instant to help save another family.

Can't imagine many other people would do the same. Interesting to hear your opinions.
Old 13 February 2006, 09:43 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

If it was my life to save my wife or kids, I wouldn't hesitate to give it. I think most parents would feel the same.

Bit of a morbid question isnt it?
Old 13 February 2006, 09:52 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Mmmm - easy to claim to be a hero before you are put in the situation. Not quite so easy to dive on that hand grenade or jump in front of the bus when it happens. Most people, despite best intentions just freeze and see it all happen in slow motion.

Would I opt to give up my life for another, somebody I don't know, if I had the choice? I dunno, damn tough choice and I suspect a lot would depend on the circumstances. To give up a kidney or bone marrow where both could survive - well that's a bit of a no brainer.
Old 13 February 2006, 09:53 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
If it was my life to save my wife or kids, I wouldn't hesitate to give it. I think most parents would feel the same.

But would you want your kids to give up their life to save you?
Old 13 February 2006, 09:57 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by FlightMan

Same here
Old 13 February 2006, 09:58 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by OllyK
No ....
Old 13 February 2006, 09:58 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

no one would give up their life for another they DID NOT KNOW.

if anyone says they would then get on a plane, fly to Africa - give your house keys and return ticket to a starving kid and waste away in his place (you could prob save 100 like that so if everyone in the UK did it Africa would be "saved"...........and no one would be left in the UK to moan about all the bloody Africans living here now!)
Old 14 February 2006, 12:02 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Sorry, Tiggs, but you're wrong.

Ask any serving or ex serviceman, police officer, fireman. Most, if not all, accepted that part of the job was to put other people's lives in front of our own. It's just part of the territory, and it's almost always a complete stranger as well. Sometimes even one who was shooting at you a few minutes earlier.

Example? Retrieving an Argentine soldier from a minefield because the poor kid would either have frozen or bled to death otherwise... It may be daft in hindsight but at the time you just do it...

As a result I've always said that it's easy to say you'd die for someone. Far harder to say (and mean) that you'd kill for them.

That's a short list:

The Queen.

My family.

A couple of *very* close friends.

That's it...

SB

PS I have deliberately not included God in the list. He doesn't talk to me...

Last edited by Sbradley; 14 February 2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 14 February 2006, 12:12 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs

no one would give up their life for another they DID NOT KNOW.
bit of a slap in the face to our servicemen??
Old 14 February 2006, 10:51 AM
Pedro_79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chump
A bit deep i know but if there was a way where you could trade-off your life to save anothers - would you consider it?
Err, quite simply..... no, I wouldn't.

There's a difference between 'trading' your life and 'risking' your life. As an ex-serviceman myself, I can say that I would gladly 'risk' my life for someone else (even an enemy soldier), but If I knew that I was definitely going to die then I'd have second thoughts.

Furthermore, I'd much sooner kill for someone I care about than die for them.
Old 14 February 2006, 10:52 AM
Shonen
Scooby Regular

I would gladly give up my life for my children. If it was a situation where they were going to be killed by somebody I would kill that person.(I know it is easy to say, but maternal instict is all empowering) And no, I wouldnt want them to give their life for me. I brought them into the world, I wouldnt want them going out of the world to save me.

I dont think I could give my life to save a stranger. Hats off to firemen/policemen/squaddies who would, better people than me.
Old 14 February 2006, 10:54 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley

PS I have deliberately not included God in the list. He doesn't talk to me...
You two not getting on at the moment? I am hoping he is doing his best to sort out an Arsenal win tonight! lol
Old 14 February 2006, 11:03 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

God's a rugby man
Old 14 February 2006, 11:04 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

so i take it he is busy tonight then... with the bloody 6 nations!
Old 14 February 2006, 11:19 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
bit of a slap in the face to our servicemen??

You find me a serviceman who would trade his life...........you have either not understood the original post or dont understand the point of being in the services - as far as i'm aware, its not to trade their lives for unknowns.

as i have said already ....NO ONE would TRADE their life for an unkown.

"Example? Retrieving an Argentine soldier from a minefield because the poor kid would either have frozen or bled to death otherwise... It may be daft in hindsight but at the time you just do it..."

If that would have meant certain death for you would you have done it?
Old 14 February 2006, 11:31 AM
V1CK1
Scooby Regular

Very serious topic this one!

If you did give up/trade your life for someone, dont you think you should first think about all the lives of people you know who would be affected by your death?

I apreciate the life i have and try to make the most of it. I cant answer the question as i really dont know the answer!

Whats next, a thread on suicide?
Old 14 February 2006, 11:45 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

I often see stories on the news about young kids dying and it devastating families or parents dying and leaving their kids without mum/dad....

If there was a way i'd trade-off my life in an instant to help save another family.

Can't imagine many other people would do the same. Interesting to hear your opinions.
Appropriate user name
Old 14 February 2006, 11:56 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Tiggs, I still can't agree with you.

The original message asked "A bit deep i know but if there was a way where you could trade-off your life to save anothers - would you consider it?"

You then said nobody would give up their life for someone they didn't know. And I disagreed.

You didn't use the word trade. And the original poster asked if we would consider it.

So I was correct when I said yes. I would consider giving my life for another and have put that into action more than once.

Would I have done it if it meant certain death? That rather depends on whether it would be pointless. Going into a minefield to get someone out *knowing* that I'd be killed would be futile because the guy still wouldn't be safe. That's a pointless sacrifice. But going in knowing that there was a bloody good chance I'd be killed? That's a considered risk...

I know we're arguing semantics here and usually agree with you (I think) but this time...

SB
Old 14 February 2006, 12:16 PM
chump
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
Appropriate user name
whats that got to do with anything?
Old 14 February 2006, 12:19 PM
Scrappy9
Scooby Regular

I would for my children.

If they needed to go for treatment abroad I would gladly sell my house/car etc to pay for this.
Old 14 February 2006, 12:23 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"If they needed to go for treatment abroad I would gladly sell my house/car etc to pay for this."

nice....sbradley is crawling through minefields to save enemy soilders and you put your car in the trader!
Old 14 February 2006, 12:26 PM
Scrappy9
Scooby Regular

Yes your right.

I wouldnt sell my car, but I would use the bus to save money on petrol.

Thanks for pointing that out

Anyway I dont believe there are that many minefields in Croydon, although there should be!!

Last edited by Scrappy9; 14 February 2006 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 14 February 2006, 12:29 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
No. If you think about it, thats a bit of a silly question.
Old 14 February 2006, 12:48 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

In answer to the post, then hell no.

Its my life, my only go at it and I'm young and still have plenty I want to do so I wont give it up easily, and defo not on a stranger.

I would always protect my immediate loved ones as much as I could, but as Tiggs says if it came down to it everyones selfish part of their character would come out and they would bottle it.
Old 14 February 2006, 03:37 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

A strange topic indeed! I think the answer in the heat of the moment is generally no for most people, as far as TRADING your life for another goes.

Say you're walking down the street, someone approaches you and says so and so has had a heart attack, we've just discovered a new heart transplant and you look like a match, give us your heart, please. Everyone is going to say no.

As far as risking your life to save a loved one, hopefully most people would probably say yes, or have already acted before they could think about it. And the people who have to risk their lives as part of their jobs deserve all our respect and gratitude.
Old 14 February 2006, 03:38 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver

Its my life, my only go at it and I'm young and still have plenty I want to do so I wont give it up easily, and defo not on a stranger.

I would always protect my immediate loved ones as much as I could, but as Tiggs says if it came down to it everyones selfish part of their character would come out and they would bottle it.
Interesting that you quote Tiggs who claims that he knows how everyone would react, when the people themselves take a different point of view.

As you say, your young. Plenty of time to learn then. I can't think of anything more selfless than giving your life to save your childrens. As a parent, i can think of nothing worse than seeing either of my children die before me. Trust me, I'd rather it was me.
Old 14 February 2006, 03:40 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

whats that got to do with anything?
If I have to state the obvious, I would have to say that anyone who would trade off their life to save another family, presumably with whom you have no ties or connection is a "chump"

On the subjects of the armed services, I doubt very much that they sign up with the intention of dying, although that is a tragic possibility.

Evolution and the survival of a species is very much based upon the survival of the fittest. That is why healthy mature animals will sacrifice their young and old if needs be to ensure their own survival (and ability to produce further young) to maintain their species.

Whilst your own offer to die to save a complete stranger may be seen by some to be quite commendable and completely selfless, I suspect there are many more who would view it as bloody stupid.

You could probably do much, much more good if so minded, to stay alive and help the cause.

As for friends and family, I supect rationally it would be down to whether it would be more bearable for you to live without them or them to live knowing you had sacrificed your life. What if your death filled them with unconsolable guilt? That would make you a bit of a barsteward, thats for sure.

One may even go so far as to say that in those circumstances, to die for a loved one may in fact be an extremely selfish act.

Last edited by Diablo; 14 February 2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 14 February 2006, 03:44 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

We could widen the discussion to trading your animals life for someone elses.....oh hang on we did that once before
Old 14 February 2006, 03:56 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Exactly, totally agree, though I have no children to consider.

Quick Reply: Would you give your life?