Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Quantity Surveyers around?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2005, 04:54 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any Quantity Surveyers around?

Saw a job advertised for a Trainee (Day release) QS. Now I know that they are responsible for going to a site. And estimating how many Bricks, Tiles, Glass panes etc etc for a build. But thats about it.

So could any of you give your feelings about the profession.

How many years training? Does it have a level system depending on experience?
Mainly outside job?
Overall Good/ Bad job?
Pros and Cons?

Thanks for reading.
Old 31 August 2005, 05:15 PM
ProductPlacement
BANNED

What company was advertising? It's unusual to see anything trainee day release TBH.

It's a great job and can take you as far as you want to go. I went to Newcastle University did my QS degree and have never looked back. Dubai, States, cayman Islands, Bermuda amongst others.
Old 31 August 2005, 05:19 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Just a local company. Not a major one.
Old 31 August 2005, 05:21 PM
ProductPlacement
BANNED

Take the opportunity with both hands, I paid well over 20K for my degree including expenses.
Old 31 August 2005, 07:58 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I'm doing a QS degree part time (and as & when i can be bothered!).

TBH, it doesn't really fit much into my job, though I've learned loads from it that does apply to my work. (I work for a smallish contractor).

To reduce it to the simplest level really, the QS business is a bit of a game... the client's QS tries to screw the contractor, while the contractor's QS is trying to screw the client.

QS'ing is more of an office based job; some contractors will have a teams of QS's based on site (on bigger jobs), though I'd not say it's mainly an outside job.

Good job / bad job? I'd say good job. Some companys are prepared to pay pretty silly money, especially around London. I enjoy what I do, though working for a smallish company, I'm not a dedicated QS, I do bits of alsort - mainly project management at the moment.

HTH.

John.

ps - feel free to post / Pm if you have any other questions.
Old 01 September 2005, 12:31 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by john_s

To reduce it to the simplest level really, the QS business is a bit of a game... the client's QS tries to screw the contractor, while the contractor's QS is trying to screw the client.
But the QS also has to simultaneously attempt to screw all the subcontractors. The most common tactic is withholding payment. One QS for a 'reputable' construction company I spoke to claimed to have netted his firm £300,000 in interest during one year simply by not paying subcontractors on time. Sh*t, it would seem, does indeed roll downhill.
Old 01 September 2005, 08:58 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

agree with most of what john_s says, but i'm not a qs. estate management degree (3 yrs) followed by probationary period with the RICS, now MRICS.

a qs will spend the majority of their time at a desk in my experience so not really an outside job. having said that, it really depends who you work for - a small cog in a big machine or a big cog in a small machine... i work with a number of qs's who either certify out draw-downs from the bank, provide build cost info or act as employers agent. their roles are quite varied so not every qs is a bean-counter. in fact most qs trained people i know tend to be working for themselves either as a contractor or a developer
Old 01 September 2005, 03:47 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies.