Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Penalty for overtaking on the inside?

Old 25 August 2005, 09:32 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Penalty for overtaking on the inside?

Just wondering what the police can do you for if you happen to pass on the non-conventional side?

I've not been done for it..... err yet anyway, but find myself doing it more often as I find more annoying people who can't seem to find their way back to the left hand lane.

So anyone been done for it? and what did you get?

Cheers.
Old 25 August 2005, 09:36 PM
gazzer666666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mpr
Just wondering what the police can do you for if you happen to pass on the non-conventional side?

I've not been done for it..... err yet anyway, but find myself doing it more often as I find more annoying people who can't seem to find their way back to the left hand lane.

So anyone been done for it? and what did you get?

Cheers.
Probably dangerous driving......
Old 25 August 2005, 09:47 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

If the traffic in lane 1 is moving faster than the traffic in lane 2,then technically you aren't breaking any rules
Old 25 August 2005, 10:11 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine did that in the works van on the motorway and a few people phoned his company to tell them (the phone number was on the side of the van). He nearly lost his job over it, but didn't get spotted by the police.

If it's in slow moving traffic I do it, but never at speed (usually go up behind them, flash the lights, get some hand gesture, then go past them!)
Old 25 August 2005, 10:16 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
If the traffic in lane 1 is moving faster than the traffic in lane 2,then technically you aren't breaking any rules
Yeh, if I remember correctly, the highway code says something like "You may pass queueing traffic in the nearside lane". The question is, what is the definition of queueing? Is bunched up traffic at 60 MPH in a 70 limit queueing? I'd like to think so
Old 25 August 2005, 10:20 PM
ForesterBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
Thats what I would have thought.

It's some of the people who wont go back to the nearside lanes who should be getting a ticking off.
Old 25 August 2005, 10:28 PM
Drnaz_2000
Scooby Regular

what about overtaking using the first lane whilst the grandad driver is still in the third lane, i dont see that as dangerous driving.
Old 25 August 2005, 10:33 PM
Scoobydaddy
Scooby Regular

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.htm

Overtaking
241: Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe to do so.
Overtake only on the right. You should

check your mirrors
take time to judge the speeds correctly
make sure that the lane you will be joining is sufficiently clear ahead and behind
take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area to verify the position of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror
remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check your mirrors carefully. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then move out
ensure you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken
be especially careful at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance.

242: Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

I always move faster in the inside lane

Scoobydaddy
Old 25 August 2005, 10:39 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Had a look there cause ive been wondering about this myself. Found this section in the highway code

242: Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

So from that, if you are in the left hand lane, you may continue to overtake on the inside, but you may not move from the right to the left to overtake.
Old 25 August 2005, 10:42 PM
Scoobydaddy
Scooby Regular

144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

This is a good one. LOL
Old 25 August 2005, 10:43 PM
Scoobydaddy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dmc1980
Had a look there cause ive been wondering about this myself. Found this section in the highway code

So from that, if you are in the left hand lane, you may continue to overtake on the inside, but you may not move from the right to the left to overtake.
Bit slow with that

Scoobydaddy
Old 25 August 2005, 10:46 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

sorry on the drink here, started early for my stag weekend. Would you like me to remove it, seeing as you are the daddy
Old 25 August 2005, 10:47 PM
Scoobydaddy
Scooby Regular

sorry on the drink here, started early for my stag weekend. Would you like me to remove it, seeing as you are the daddy
Nope leave it, Have one on me, good luck on the stag night
Old 25 August 2005, 10:49 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

weekend, heading to edinburgh tomorrow lunch time, just nice to have a weekday off so enjoying a bear on my sofa.
Old 25 August 2005, 10:53 PM
Scoobydaddy
Scooby Regular

Just been reading the highway code, have not see it for years, I was sure the speed limit in Motorways was 85 MPH.

70 MPH are they sure that’s right, No I Don’t believe it ..............

Scoobydaddy
Old 25 August 2005, 10:57 PM
Scoobydaddy
Scooby Regular

weekend, heading to edinburgh tomorrow lunch time, just nice to have a weekday off so enjoying a bear on my sofa.
I am just catching you up on the alcohol, finished the beer and onto a bottle of Shiraz.

Move over M8, I coming up on the inside as its moving faster

---------------------------------------------------------------

Are you getting married in Scotland?

Scoobydaddy
Old 25 August 2005, 11:00 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

No im getting married in Northern Ireland, just going for the stag weekend where no one knows us. Sorry for hijacking the thread by the way
Old 25 August 2005, 11:05 PM
Scoobydaddy
Scooby Regular

Cool

No im getting married in Northern Ireland, just going for the stag weekend where no one knows us. Sorry for hijacking the thread by the way
IC , least you have picked up a few tips for the journey.

I like a bit of education when I am pissed.

Scoobydaddy

Old 25 August 2005, 11:17 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Flying unfortunately, but i have learnt 2 things today from internet forums. The one in here and that on a dual carriage way the speed limit is 70. ALways thought it was 60
Old 25 August 2005, 11:37 PM
Scoobydaddy
Scooby Regular

Flying unfortunately, but i have learnt 2 things today from internet forums. The one in here and that on a dual carriage way the speed limit is 70. ALways thought it was 60
Unless other wise marked, it was at on time as I recall, happened when the petrol crisis was on, as if there's not one now.

What was the other thing you learned, you said there was two?

Scoobydaddy
Old 26 August 2005, 08:22 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

What kind of bear was it? I havent seen Gentle Ben on the tellybox for years, was it him? Who was on top? Did it hurt?
Old 26 August 2005, 08:50 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I undertake with care but also impunity now. Traffic staggered across all the lanes, one going barely faster than the next is inefficient road use. By using all available gaps to maintain my speed I am making up for their ineffiency.

We need to speed up Britain.
Old 26 August 2005, 09:08 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drnaz_2000
what about overtaking using the first lane whilst the grandad driver is still in the third lane, i dont see that as dangerous driving.
Totally agree.
If I'm in the inside lane and coming up to someone who is hogging the outside lane (most m.ways are two lane in Holland) and travelling well below the limit, then I'll pass on the inside. My take on it is that hogging the outside lane is illegal, so if the plod want to do anyone, then they should do the other driver first. My theory is yet to be tested though...

Suresh
Old 26 August 2005, 10:44 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

I don't condone undertaking whatsoever but the thing that amazes me is that the police still insist in going for the easy speedster targets (no complaints with this in a built up area), rather than addressing the real danger on motorways; the middle and outside lane hogs. Address these idiots and the number of accidents will come down as well as motorway efficiency almost doubling overnight.
Old 26 August 2005, 01:19 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Thats cos its easier and less paper work I imagine to do someone for undertaking - however rightly or wrongly, that as mentioned, to try and tackle the lane 2 / lane 3 idiots. As the majority will clearly have no idea what if they where pulled, they where doing wrong ! Sad but I willing to put cash on it been true !
Time we stopped pandering to the lowest common demoninator of motorist and did something to improve the basic driving skills. Most other European countries drivers have mastered lane disapline and I'm pretty sure that in America they can overtaking on both side, if they can handle it then we should FFS !

Richard

Last edited by richs2891; 26 August 2005 at 01:24 PM.