Work question Re Bullying.

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2005, 01:52 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Work question Re Bullying.

Hi
I know all workplaces are different but has anyone worked anywhere where someone has been sacked for slagging people off behind their back.I dont mean just general "bad" comments but really nasty stuff.
ie if someones wife died saying its the best thing that could have happened to the ugly cow.Really mean stuff over a continuos period of time,and where a lot of it gets back to the intended person and causes them stress.

Is that (in general) as discplinary offence?
Old 18 August 2005, 02:14 PM
Reality
BANNED

Sounds like it could be.

General advice is to keep a diary of what is said. Date, What was said, Who said it, who it was said to etc. Then present the diary to the HR dept telling them it's unnaceptable and you (or the person involved) is off to see the Doc for the Stress caused.

This usually results in an investigation - depends on your HR Policies.

ps - more likely to be a warning than straight sacking - depends on how often the "abuse" occurrs.
Old 18 August 2005, 02:14 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Has anyone actually spoken up to this person making the comments and told them how out of order they are?
Old 18 August 2005, 02:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thankfully I've never worked anywhere where there would be such loathesome individuals.

However, I would have thought that if complaints are made against this person then HR would look into it and issue a verbal warning, then if it continues take further action.

If the person/people being abused in this manner is/are not reporting it then they should, right now, preferably with witnesses who have heard what the perpertrator has been saying. Proof, eg; voice recording of them saying it would be very helpful as well.

I'd also look at the T&C's of the employee contract as it might make reference to unwanted physical, verbal and mental abuse.
Old 18 August 2005, 02:23 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Hi
I know all workplaces are different but has anyone worked anywhere where someone has been sacked for slagging people off behind their back.I dont mean just general "bad" comments but really nasty stuff.
ie if someones wife died saying its the best thing that could have happened to the ugly cow.Really mean stuff over a continuos period of time,and where a lot of it gets back to the intended person and causes them stress.

Is that (in general) as discplinary offence?
Is this scenario in the Public sector or private sector - I have no management experience in the private sector - but can advise based on my 12 years experience of managing people in the public sector.

disciplinary offence - yes (if complaint is made by offended party)

Sackable offence - probably not, unless said individual has already been disciplined for something or is a repeat offender or is proven to be ongoing harrassment.

Something is offensive if the offended person finds it to be offensive, the fact that you or I are not offended by it does not make it inoffensive.

Difficult thing will be getting some action from management. If you were the manager of the offending individual, would you want the 'hassle' of dealing with it? And without support from your personnel dept you will be on a hiding to nothing.

possibly the root cause needs to be examined too - its a pretty vindictive comment to make. One would assume there is ill-feeling which goes back a bit....

From my own experience of managing people my advice would be dont get directly involved even if you are one or other's manager - push it up the chain of command - get thier support and agree a course of action with them first. Put up that umbrella and cover your ***.

TT
Old 18 August 2005, 03:32 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

I had an example of this. Though I made the mistake of taking direct action against said individual. Which resulted in both of us loosing employment.

What I was told (aftewards) was that I should have informed my immediate manager. If he didnt do anything then go to his manager and so on and so on until you get the sensible result. Even up to MD level if needs be.

I chose not to, because (for my sins) Im no grass. This ultimately counted against me.

Its a real pain, but the beast advice I can say is speak to your manager or HR department. Bullying is mis-conduct and can carry dismissal.

Best of luck
Old 18 August 2005, 03:38 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by rr_ww
I had an example of this. Though I made the mistake of taking direct action against said individual. Which resulted in both of us loosing employment.

What I was told (aftewards) was that I should have informed my immediate manager. If he didnt do anything then go to his manager and so on and so on until you get the sensible result. Even up to MD level if needs be.

I chose not to, because (for my sins) Im no grass. This ultimately counted against me.

Its a real pain, but the beast advice I can say is speak to your manager or HR department. Bullying is mis-conduct and can carry dismissal.

Best of luck

Or if that don't work, a swift smack in the mouth does!!!!!! I've said it before and I will say it again I hate bullies and will always stand up for someone if I think they are being picked on.
Cheers
Colin
Old 18 August 2005, 03:41 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

Get the management on side.

We had a case at my current workplace where the manager of the team I was on would bitch(really nastily, racially sometimes about a Ugandan guy who worked with us) about people behind their backs, yet she would be their best friend to their face.

Myself and one other guy who started at the same time as me decided enough was enough after about a year or so, rallied round the rest of our team, and called a meeting with the MD and the HR Manager.

We all voiced our concerns, which were taken on board fully and officially recorded.

The Manager was pulled in, told this was unnacceptable and made manager of a new section where she had no people under her.

Essentially the management sidelined her to a department(created for her) as they couldnt fire her as no witnessed incidents had happened within 3 days of when we complained. They had hoped she would say she didnt want to take the new role so they could use constructive dismissal.

A month later she left of her own accord, obviously didnt like having no power. We gave the evil old wench a hearty round of applause as she walked out

Last edited by Angry; 18 August 2005 at 03:51 PM.
Old 18 August 2005, 03:41 PM
slickrick
Scooby Regular

i was a victim of this a few years back,i reported it to my manager.it only made things worse (people writing on my locker,toilets e.t.c.)at the time i was going thru a divorce.and i ended up leaving the company!
Old 18 August 2005, 04:08 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slickrick
i was a victim of this a few years back,i reported it to my manager.it only made things worse (people writing on my locker,toilets e.t.c.)at the time i was going thru a divorce.and i ended up leaving the company!
Thats terrible.

Angry,nice story.

Its a private sector firm.The comments have been numerous and constant,over about 2 years and witnessed by lots of people on a weekly basis and about nearly everyone.Some are things like "if i ever saw XYZ out of work i'd kick his *cking head in."
But all are said behind XYZ's persons back.

Linked to this post 12 months ago.
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...highlight=work
Old 18 August 2005, 04:11 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

I would tell the person that what they are saying makes you uncomfortable and would they please stop.

If they dont get as many people together as possible and make a complaint.
Old 18 August 2005, 04:14 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Angry
If they dont get as many people together as possible and make a complaint.
Lets just say that that has already happened.
I'm just tyring to pre-guess the outcome.
Old 18 August 2005, 04:18 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

If the management are savvy they'll realise that if numerous people have complained they will need to take whatever action is within their power to resolve the issue.

The employer has a duty of care to its employees, if this is not upheld go legal. Speak to the CAB and take it to tribuneral.
Old 18 August 2005, 04:32 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

What was that Reality??
Old 18 August 2005, 04:32 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The employer has a duty of care to its employees
Thats right,and the company i work for (big,well known)take this sort of thing very seriously.

I just come back to my original question.Is bad mouthing people a sackable offence.From the replies so far it would seem probably not.
Old 18 August 2005, 04:33 PM
Reality
BANNED

What was that Reality??
shhhhhshh - nobody else noticed.

You **** one sheep and you get yourself a name .
Old 18 August 2005, 04:39 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Reality shagged a sheep
Reality shagged a sheeeee-eeep
Reality shagged a Sheep.

Old 18 August 2005, 04:41 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by rr_ww
Reality shagged a sheep
Reality shagged a sheeeee-eeep
Reality shagged a Sheep.

If you upset me with such nastiness - I'll report you the the WebMeister - He doesn't stand for any of this nonsense
Old 18 August 2005, 04:44 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Come on guys,dont muppitise this thread....

please.....
Old 18 August 2005, 04:47 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by paulr
Come on guys,dont muppitise this thread....

please.....
You've got your answer .

I reckon someone should approach the individual making the remarks and ask him/her to stop as it's not pleasant.

Pick someone who's diplomatic - someone not like me
Old 18 August 2005, 04:50 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Reality
You've got your answer .
I'm just looking for more real life experiences of the same problem.

cheers
Paul.
Old 18 August 2005, 05:14 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

Sorry Paul I should have left it, he spotted a non existant spelling mistake then deleted his post pointing it out

As has been said they need confronting gently face to face and reporting to management, but thats already happened from what you say.

I remember how nasty it was working in an atmosphere like that, if it hadnt been resolved I probably would have left. I hope it all works out OK
Old 18 August 2005, 05:18 PM
Reality
BANNED

Old 18 August 2005, 05:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Looks like the resident pedant was at it again, lol
Old 18 August 2005, 05:35 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Father in law was suspended, he was manager of a branch for a certain company. A number of employee's had complained to the MD about his bullying management style.

I can fully believe it as he is an old school big head know it all who can't be told anything.

Anyway it all got messy, the company issued a dismissal letter, he started tribunal proceedings but they settled before the tribunal and he got early retirement.

I'm in a similar level of management and have built up a team around me, I can fully trust 90% of the people who work under me and most of the time we enjoy what we do and have some laughs.

We spend a lot of time at work in the UK and the jobs can be stressfull enough without working with *****.

Cheers
Lee
Old 18 August 2005, 05:44 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Looks like the resident pedant was at it again, lol
I though PSLewis had left?
Old 18 August 2005, 05:49 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I work for one of the largest companies in the country, if that happened he would be moved/seperated from victim, it happens all the time.
Old 19 August 2005, 01:14 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by logiclee

I can fully trust 90% of the people who work under me and most of the time we enjoy what we do and have some laughs.

Cheers
Lee
And isnt it great when its like that.
Old 19 August 2005, 01:16 PM
Reality
BANNED

I though PSLewis had left?
*snigger*
Old 19 August 2005, 05:34 PM
Angry