Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to Corralejo in Fuerteventura?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2005, 09:05 AM
little miss fire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been to Corralejo in Fuerteventura?

Just booked up to go in September. Anyone been? Is it nice? What's the weather like etc etc etc

Ta

lmf
Old 23 June 2005, 09:49 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

I've been there twice. It is very nice and the weather was superb on both times. It's a bit cooler up that end of the island because of the sea breeze than Jandia on the south of the island - however that made it more bearable for us.

The fishing harbour is a nice area to go and eat (loads of restaurants) and the sand dunes you will pass on the way to Corralejo are superb. If you do take a trip to these be warned about two things:- naked Germans sunbathing and if you park your car (if you have a hire car) that it's still got a fair amount of tyre on the tarmac as they will charge you a small fortune (circa 50-100 Euros) to pull you out.

There is a lot more to this resort than there is to Caleta de Fuste or Jandia so you should be OK - that said, there still isn't a huge amount there but just more shops really.

I would actually recommend hiring a car and driving around as the drive down to Jandia, albeit a long one, is superb as the views you will see are stunning. Also, if you get the option to do the jeep safari, do it. It's such a laugh and you get to see some of the hidden beaches, etc... that you would never have normally come across.

Feel free to ask me any more questions.
Old 23 June 2005, 10:09 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Also been 2/3 times,for wintersun and windsurfing...
We stayed in a apartment in the capital there which was okay and ate out every night...a fair choice of possibilites.
We were lucky as the the winds were,v.unsually,from the north and we hired boards from a place straight across the bay from our appartment and had good time with this one particular wave (set up by the seabed and the north breeze).
We hired car and did flag beach (where the sand dunes are) didnt do jandia....but carried on to sotovento?.........but no wind hoooge long beach..bit bland,then over the middle top and went to Cortillo (north-west), awesome wave sailing possiblities....less crowded and more picturesque.
Old 23 June 2005, 11:21 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

we've been there too. can't remember too much of the detail (can't remember what i did at the weekend so that's not unusual) but i do recall enjoying it - and if you go to the sand dunes don't walk in bare feet or sandals!
when we went to one of the other islands (can't remember which one - can you see a theme here?) we found loads of info on a site called owen100 or owens100 or something like that.
i do recall it being bl00dy hot and as i'm not that good in heat (tend to sit in the shade most of the time), the breeze made things more comfortable
hope you enjoy it!
Old 23 June 2005, 12:10 PM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

Went several years ago and has turned into a bit of a kitesurfing mecca now.

Very warm, even in January when I went. Can be a bit windy. Nice places to eat and drink. Watch out for the hairy German nudists.

Well worth taking a day trip over to Lanzarotte to see the lava tubes and the temanfire (sp ?) national park. looks like something out of Planet of the Apes.
Old 23 June 2005, 01:53 PM
little miss fire
Scooby Regular

Thanks all. I'm well looking forward to it!

Scott W - we are planning to hire a jeep for a few days so we hope to find our own safari! Any tips on where to go?

Thanks

lmf
Old 23 June 2005, 01:58 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Have a look on:

www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk

We use it and its pretty good at giving you the real deal info and covers most holiday spots.

Bob
Old 23 June 2005, 02:01 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Whats the Hotel or Apartments your staying in?

There's lots of pages on Corralejo and its alphabetically sorted.

Bob

PS. No affiliation with that website, just find it useful!
Old 23 June 2005, 02:14 PM
little miss fire
Scooby Regular

4X4Bob - thanks for that. we are booked into the Bristol Playa - and there is loads of good reviews on there. Thank God! Even more excited now!
Old 23 June 2005, 02:35 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by little miss fire
4X4Bob - thanks for that. we are booked into the Bristol Playa - and there is loads of good reviews on there. Thank God! Even more excited now!
Looks like your in for a great holiday

For others these are 2 of the independant reviews

Bristol Playa Aparthotel - Corralejo
Operator and Date: Independantly - June 2005

Opinion submitted in June 2005 by : Laura Smith, Jonathan Perera - Wirral (26) (24)

Resort Rating: Excellent

Accommodation Rating: Excellent

My/Our Holiday Opinion:
We have just come back from a wonderful holiday in Fuerteventura. We decided to stay at the Hesperia Bristol Playa and we are glad we did!!

This hotel, although given a 3 star rating is definitly a 4 star hotel. The whole complex was really nice and very clean. The apartment we stayed it was lovely overlooking the pool and extremely clean. We couldn't have asked for more. The room was cleaned daily and we had clean towels and sheets every other day.

We were staying self catering but did sample food from the pool bar which was really nice - lovely cocktails too!

The Bristol Playa is about a 5 minute walk into the main part of correlejo where you will find some lovely restaurants and bars. I was led to believe that the resort was very quiet but was pleasantly surprised as there were plenty to places to eat and drink (we never ate in the same restaurant twice). Not that the restaurants weren't nice we just wanted to try more as there is so much choice. I would recommend Gibsons which is just off the high street, this is a lovely restaurant if you like to sample food from all over. The Bombay House Indian is also very nice. Waterside is a really nice (well hidden) place to go for lunch - it is just off Waikiki beach.

Talking of beaches, the beaches are lovely. If you walk along the prom you will get to a beach called Waikiki which is a lovely beach with nice clear waters and a couple of reastaurants to eat lunch there too.

If you are a beach person you must head off to the Sand Dunes which is a 10 minute taxi ride away or you can get the number 6 bus from just outside the Bristol Playa. We went to a beach there called Glass Beach near the Rui hotel. It is called Glass Beach beacause the water is as clear as glass! It is beautiful and very similar to the beach in Cancun, Mexico (but without the waves!) very nice!

For a families and couples, Correlejo is the place to go and by far the Bristol Playa looked the best hotel.

Excellent holiday.
Bristol Playa Aparthotel - Corralejo
Operator and Date: Alpharooms.com April 2005

Opinion submitted in May 2005 by : Paul Howgate - Dewsbury (53,50)

Resort Rating: Very Good

Accommodation Rating: Excellent

My/Our Holiday Opinion:
Having stayed in various apartments in correlejo over the years,these are without doubt the best.Everything works including plenty of hot water.They belong to an upmarket hotel group who have invested in the apartments and it shows.Very friendly reception open 24/7.a lot of attention to maintenance and cleaning.All requests are attended to straight away,especially in the housekeeping depts.Rooms are well equipted.
It is situated in the spanish quarter,well away from the building sites that dot correlejo,so very quiet.On the sea front with lovely views and the promenade has been cleaned up!!No nasty smells or mossies while we were there.(wish we were back)!!
One advantage is the cheaper priced local shops.For food use Hiperdino supermarket,up the side st just above Jive Bunny at the back of the flats but for fresh bread try Pan Suso just up the side st below Jive Bunny.Open from 7am daily.Try the hot crossiants for breakfast.Size of a side plate for 50p.
Eating out...
We tend to stick to Spanish fish eateries such as sotovento,overlooking the harbour,try the fish & seafood casserole, but our favorite is Maison Eve(formally oscars)go through music square onto the cobbled street and its first on the left.Jose who runs it is a die hard Liverpool fan,great sense of humour & loves to talk about them.Give him a try,the food and the service are excellent & prices very reasonable.If you order sole,go hungry,they are huge!Spanish cuisine at its best.
For Italian try Di Napoli on the high st next to the Underground or for a real eat as much as you want, you can buy dinner for 19 euro at the 4 star Atlantis palace Hotel.First rate.
We would not recommend the italian San Borondon opposite music square. was delived a `hot` starter which was cold,started to eat it,sent it back.Was returned 2 mins later still part eaten but microwaved.Nice location but until they employ a chef its best left alone.
Wonderful holiday,clean unpolluted air and seas with white sand beaches the best this side of the caribbean.El Cotillo is worth a visit,the best beach is next to Bar Torino,on a clear lagoon safe for kids and idyllic.True paradise.Will return

Enjoy your hols!

Bob
Old 23 June 2005, 05:21 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Stayed at the Jandia Princess, lovely hotel, but the resort is full of krauts marching around, queue jumping and generally being ignorant etc.

Deffo a place to avoid while your staying there.
Old 23 June 2005, 07:15 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by dpb
Also been 2/3 times,for wintersun and windsurfing...
Is what most people seem to go there for I think One of my mates windsurfed there as well - said it was very good - not just for that either, but a nice place... I've never been mind you, so I've no idea
Old 24 June 2005, 08:35 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Also stayed in corralejo a couple of times. As previously mentioned, good choice of food around the harbour (local fresh seafood the best imo).

Good weather, nice relaxing holiday both times - would definately go back
Old 24 June 2005, 08:40 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool

watcha Franx - hope your fully mended now..
Old 24 June 2005, 09:30 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

been there but not stayed- day trips from Lanzarote, nice looking place, however I did not think it was that clean, my sister has been for a week and didnt rate it that highly- too many tacky english type bars. Be nice for a chill out holiday and the rest of the island is worth exploring..........even better if you surf!!
Old 03 November 2017, 07:44 AM
Kishor
Scooby Newbie

Have you guys been to Fuerteventura? It was one of those island that had always been on my traveling plan but had somehow never visited. But after reading this other article from https://www.canaryislandsinfo.co.uk/...entura/places/ makes me more willing to do some last minute changes on my travel list. They say that the waves in Costa calma and Playa de Sotavento would make a perfect for surfers and many water activities. And if your not into some water action I'm very sure that theirs a lot more to do in this fine island.
Old 03 November 2017, 04:00 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kishor
Have you guys been to Fuerteventura? It was one of those island that had always been on my traveling plan but had somehow never visited. But after reading this other article from https://www.canaryislandsinfo.co.uk/...entura/places/ makes me more willing to do some last minute changes on my travel list. They say that the waves in Costa calma and Playa de Sotavento would make a perfect for surfers and many water activities. And if your not into some water action I'm very sure that theirs a lot more to do in this fine island.
have windsurfed Sotovento

mental wind, good fun