Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Difference between 50Hz and 100Hz Television?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 10:20 PM
chump
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Difference between 50Hz and 100Hz Television?

Looking to replace my TV. Going for a 32" Widescreen. Not Plasma or LCD.

However there are two options as far as i can tell. 50Hz and 100Hz. Will I notice much of a difference between the two refresh rates on a TV?

Thanks
Chump
Old 18 May 2005, 10:33 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chump

However there are two options as far as i can tell. 50Hz and 100Hz. Will I notice much of a difference between the two refresh rates on a TV?

Thanks
Chump
Yep one puts pics on the screen twice as fast as the other :-) well not exactly correct but its a similar effect, basicly the time to scan the screen top to bottom is a 100 cycles per second,,, and yes if you look closley they are less flickery. simply becouse your eyes can't percieve the flicker the faster it is... like a flourencet light flickers at around 50 times a second looking at it you cant tell, wave your hand around at just the right speed and you'll notice the stobe effect!
If the difference is not not too much $$$ then go for the 100hz m8

Dazza
Old 18 May 2005, 10:34 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chump

Thanks
Chump
A big difference, on the 100Hz there will be no flicker. Downside is the way it works, effecively "storing" the frames, which on some sets can cause judder during fast-moving scenes, titles etc...

Definately reccomend one, what make of TV were you looking at?
Old 18 May 2005, 10:37 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
Yep one puts pics on the screen twice as fast as the other :-) well not exactly correct but its a similar effect, basicly the time to scan the screen top to bottom is a 100 cycles per second,,, and yes if you look closley they are less flickery. simply becouse your eyes can't percieve the flicker the faster it is... like a flourencet light flickers at around 50 times a second looking at it you cant tell, wave your hand around at just the right speed and you'll notice the stobe effect!
If the difference is not not too much $$$ then go for the 100hz m8

Dazza
Beat me to it!
Old 18 May 2005, 11:05 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

what you will probably find is that you wont notice the relative difference if you move to a 100Hz however if you watch a 50Hz again after that, you really see how they compare
Old 18 May 2005, 11:33 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

If you are planning on a Widescreen, especially a big one, go for 100Hz as this is where you will really notice the difference.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:56 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

You notice flicker more in peripheral vision, and on white backgrounds. Look slightly away from the TV and compare the two.

They are quite different.
Old 19 May 2005, 12:21 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I'd go for 100Hz TV where possible, for the reasons stated. I find I can watch for longer without getting sore eyes.

The only reason not to get a 100Hz TV is if you have an old Nintendo NES with the light gun and you really like playing Duck Hunt.
Old 19 May 2005, 12:37 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Me and a mate of mine have got exactly the same telly, a 28" panasonic, the only difference is mine is 100Hz and I find I notice the flicker on his after watching ours.
Old 19 May 2005, 07:09 AM
chump
Scooby Regular

The TV will mainly be used for playing Xbox and Xbox360 (when it comes out) games. Also DVD's and maybe a bit of TV too. Its just at the minute on my existing older 32" 50Hz Windscreen TV (even with the RGB cable) the Xbox display doesn't look all that good. A little pixalated. Not sure if this is just a trait of blowing the picture up onto a big screen or what?
Old 19 May 2005, 09:51 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Originally Posted by suprabeast
what you will probably find is that you wont notice the relative difference if you move to a 100Hz however if you watch a 50Hz again after that, you really see how they compare
My words exactly - try watching the sky tv guide on a 50hz set after watching it on 100hz - OWW MY EYES!!

If it's for the XBox 360 then get one that supports HDMI. The next gen consoles are using hi-def outputs. I get pixelation on my 32" on the XBox - it's the RGB SCART - ditch it and get S-Video leads, got them on the PS2 and the picture is superb.

Last edited by messiah; 19 May 2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 19 May 2005, 01:05 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I have a Sony 32" widescreen with DRC (100Hz). The DRC thing does some clever trickery to increase the resolution of the picture so the number of pixels on each axis is doubled IIRC. Phillips have Pixel+ which is similar.

All I can say is the picture is very sharp and detailed, many of my mates who have watched it have commented.

The main thing with 100Hz tellys is the incoming analogue signal is captured digitally, then processed, before being feed to the screen at a higher scan rate and sometimes higher definition. On early sets the processing power was quite up to scratch so on some fast moving stuff, e.g. football, objects would sometimes get a bit blurred giving a sfot picture.

More recent 100Hz tellys have a lot more processing power and this problem seems to have been pretty much sorted.

Make sure you feed it RGB signals from the digi-box, PS2, XBOX etc (via a fully wired SCART) for the best possible picture.