Got a NIP thru the post today :(

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2005, 12:43 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a NIP thru the post today :(

Hello

Got an NIP through the post today for doing 49 in a 40 (A322 going out of Bracknell).

Firstly, my name is spelt wrong on the NIP.
Secondly i am sure the speed limit is 50mph there, but will check later on.
Thirdly the date of the alleged offence is 2/2/05 and i received the NIP today on the 24/2/05 so thats a whole 22 days after, which i beleive is too long (14 days).

I had a look on the pepipoo site and it seems to confirm the 14 day thing, but whats the deal if they spelt my name wrong ?

Dave
Old 24 February 2005, 12:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were doing 49 in a 50 then FIGHT!!!!!

If, however, you were speeding just pay up and move on - not too fast this time!!

Pete
Old 24 February 2005, 12:51 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

If i am in the wrong i will willingly pay up and move on. They expect me to adhere to processes and timescales, so is it wrong of me to expect them to do the same ?

Dave
Old 24 February 2005, 12:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

There is the 14 day thing, UNLESS its not registered to you - then they have longer

I have heard all the huff and puff and blow the speeding house down over and over again ..... fact is, everyone pays up and gets on with life - its a bummer, but if it serves to slow traffic down and save lives then its surely got to be worth supporting?

Pete
Old 24 February 2005, 12:58 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
If you were doing 49 in a 50 then FIGHT!!!!!

If, however, you were speeding just pay up and move on - not too fast this time!!

Pete
Pete.... am I going to have to dredge up your post again where you were blubbing and bawling because you thought you had been done and asking advice on how to wriggle off the hook?
Old 24 February 2005, 01:15 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation Be careful.

If they got your name off the DVLA database and your name is incorrect on the V5 then you have committed an(other?) offence as you are responsible for ensuring that details are correct.
Old 24 February 2005, 01:25 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say, its a company car but i am the registered keeper.
Old 24 February 2005, 01:46 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Have to say...I'm all for cameras but i'd still take a shot at getting of if you can....why not?
Old 24 February 2005, 01:50 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Where is there a camera on the A322 from Bracknell? Were you going to the M3?
Old 24 February 2005, 01:51 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

14 days to registered keeper must be 1st class post as a minimum.
Old 24 February 2005, 02:05 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

---snip---
but if it serves to slow traffic down and save lives then its surely got to be worth supporting?

Pete
If speed cameras and the speed kills policy did save lives then yes it would be worth supporting, it doesn't, so after 9 years of it not working maybe it's time to look at something else that may work?
Old 24 February 2005, 02:06 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Where is there a camera on the A322 from Bracknell? Were you going to the M3?
Hello

They have lots of speed vans that sit on the A322. They also keep playing with the speed limit.

Steve.
Old 24 February 2005, 02:20 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

i'm not for or against
i'm FOR if they put cameras at accident spots, potential speeding areas etc.

and AGAINST, for hiding them behind a tree painted green,
putting them places where you couldn't be speeding anyway

however i would be more happy if the money fined would actually went to charities
Old 24 February 2005, 02:34 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
i'm not for or against
i'm FOR if they put cameras at accident spots, potential speeding areas etc.

and AGAINST, for hiding them behind a tree painted green,
putting them places where you couldn't be speeding anyway

however i would be more happy if the money fined would actually went to charities
In otherwords: use them where and in a manner that they really do work, but do so as part of a broader road safety policy that encompasses other methods of making our roads safer where cameras are ineffective or may have a negative safety effect?
Old 24 February 2005, 02:37 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

There is the 14 day thing, UNLESS its not registered to you - then they have longer

I have heard all the huff and puff and blow the speeding house down over and over again ..... fact is, everyone pays up and gets on with life - its a bummer, but if it serves to slow traffic down and save lives then its surely got to be worth supporting?

Pete
Why the hell is slowing down traffic a good thing? A slow car is a car which is causing more pollution per mile travelled than one that's making 'good progress'.
Old 24 February 2005, 02:47 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Druddle, if it's a company car then they have longer check out the PACE defense on Pepipoo if you wish to fight it.
Old 24 February 2005, 03:09 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Its worth making it as difficult as possible, i recently got out of a NIP that was served over 60 days after the offence (although the car was a a hire car). It got a bit worrying at one stage but it never went to court and i've not heard anything for a few months now.
Old 24 February 2005, 03:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I hope the late delivery will be enough to get you off. IIRC NIP's from fixed camera locations require there to be a speed limit sign clearly visible in the prosecution photograph. Whether I am correct on this or not, you will need to see the photograph as you certainly shouldn't accept being told you are guilty of a crime and the subsequent punishment without ever having seen what evidence was used to incriminate you. You may also wish to question the road signs in the area around the said camera, as there are many (most) roads in Britain with signage outside the legal requirement. As someone else said, check out Pepipoo for the PACE issues, but also do a search on here for posts by hedgehog relating to "1689 Bill of Rights" which states that only a court of law can impose a penalty, not a copper, not a Safety Scamera Partnership, not a council etc. Is there anyone else insured and legally OK to drive the vehicle such as wife or g/f, if so then of course you will have to ascertain which of you was driving which again, may require the photographic evidence.

Make it as hard as possible for them
Old 24 February 2005, 03:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You really are a hypocrite PSL. Time you wound your neck in.

Les
Old 24 February 2005, 04:28 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
Druddle, if it's a company car then they have longer check out the PACE defense on Pepipoo if you wish to fight it.
Neil - is that correct, bearing in mind that Druddle IS the registered keeper, according to his post?
Old 24 February 2005, 04:50 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Dave, the bit you are thinking about is a 40 I'm afraid to say mate. I've seen the scamera van sitting there many times and he catches people almost as soon as they come off the roundabout.

I've even seen the van sitting there at 7:30 in the morning when the traffic is lucky to get above 30!!

The van was also sat on the A322 stretch into Bracknell (the 70 mph bit) on Friday afternoon and he was clocking people there. However, you couldn't see him until you were a few hundred metres away as he was sat nicely parked in an entrance to a farm and nicely hidden from sight.
Old 24 February 2005, 05:08 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

which bit of the 322 druds?
Old 24 February 2005, 05:14 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

It's the bit as you come out towards Bagshot (dual carriageway) and you pass a harvester pub, a KFC & Shell Garage.

Quite sneaky as it's a 70 going into it, but it is definately a 40 limit to catch out the unwary, there are lines on the road too where there used to be a fixed camera but the mobile one is easier to hide in the name of revenue generation.
Old 24 February 2005, 05:18 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Dan, there has never been a fixed camera there. They simply put the lines there to give that impression and it worked well for the first few weeks as everybody was stamping on their brakes when they saw them.
Old 24 February 2005, 05:18 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
[pedant]
Not quite true.

They must inform the registered keeper within 14 days, in the case of coy cars, the registered keeper is usually the company or leasing firm. In that case the keeper would provide the drivers name at which point there are no limits except the 6 month limit termed "abuse of process".

Druddle has already stated that the car is registered in his name.
[/pedant]
Old 24 February 2005, 05:20 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Dan, there has never been a fixed camera there. They simply put the lines there to give that impression and it worked well for the first few weeks as everybody was stamping on their brakes when they saw them.
Wrong - there was one attached to the wall of the shell garage before it was refurbed, may not have been live but it flashed me once !!
Old 24 February 2005, 05:25 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Dan, Wrong. Whenever they turned the pump on that camera would take a picture of the people at the pump in front of it. If you had got petrol from that station you will have seen they had one at the other end as well.

I know this is fact as I filled up at that station at least twice a week and had my picture taken a fair few times!

Plus, the lines that are marked on the road are on the opposite carriageway, and at the other end of it!

Edited to add that there are actually lines by the Sports Centre - noticed them tonight.... either way, in all of the 8 years I've travelled that road every day there has never been a fixed speed camera on it.

Last edited by Scott W; 24 February 2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 24 February 2005, 05:38 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
Have to say...I'm all for cameras but i'd still take a shot at getting of if you can....why not?
Tommy tanker !
Old 24 February 2005, 06:21 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Yep, as Scott said, there have never been camera's though there are lines.

The camera's are for the garage!

BTW the reason its a 40 is because there are several housing estate rounds coming off and on that particular stretch, it is 40 for a reason, and has been as long as I've been going to and once lived in Bracknell.

The bit coming up to it is actually a NSL and so a 60 not a 70 as its not a full on dual carriageway.......
Old 24 February 2005, 06:48 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I *think* that I did once a year or two back actually see a fixed camera there - by the lines, opposite carriageway to the shell garage etc, but it's definitely a 40 limit. I'd say it's a 60 approaching it from the M4 / North direction, a 70 from the South / M3. That bit always irritates me as everyone who you've overtaken cos they were dawdling at 55 in the 60/70 tries to come back past by still doing 55 in the 40

Regards the 14 day thing - IIRC the requirement is that they have to send the NIP out to the registered keeper within 14 days. If you get it after 16 days, but it was postmarked/dated at 13 days, you have no escape.

Quick Reply: Got a NIP thru the post today :(