Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Major slump for UK record industry

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2003, 02:48 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

The British record industry has experienced its biggest sales decline in decades
The industry is blaming piracy, including illegal duplication and distribution by international criminals, for the decrease.
story

That's a laugh[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] We all know that the reason is the poor quality of manufactured boy/girl bands and other s**t like Will Young[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] And all those rubbish retro guitar bands[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

None of it is *worth* buying, and it's all over priced anyway Good riddance to 'em all....

UB
Old 10 February 2003, 02:50 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

It is also due to the mass piracy and illegal availability of music. You can't deny that.
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Wink

I deny iT!
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

£3:99 for a single good riddance to em!!

Pete
Old 10 February 2003, 02:51 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It would help things if we weren't subjected to songs for 6 months before they get released. You hear a song you like (rare, these days) think "I'll buy that" then the DJ says "and that'll be released in January 2008" so I think "Kazzaa here we come..."

The first time you hear a record should be the day it's released, IMHO.

Old 10 February 2003, 02:52 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I buy music I like - I'm not an MP3 council estate scumbag - only problem is there is no decent music (boy bands harumph!!!)

ditto
Old 10 February 2003, 02:53 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

rik - that's a crock m8. Cassette tapes have been around for years and years, and they never made a difference.

That is the 'officiasl' music biz excuse for their lamentable policies of not supporting or developing 'quality' music acts, and just churning out cheaply manufactured talentless garbage. Don't believe the hype.
Old 10 February 2003, 03:02 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Consider.

a) Hear song you like but it's only on album & I'm not gonna buy the whole album for one song so I download it (payed or otherwise).

OR (and importantly)

b) Download song, like it, download another from same artist, like that artist then I go buy the CD.

MP3's can actually lead to more sales from people who wouldn't have bought the CD in the first case. Now some lesser known artists have exposure to the market that TOTP and record companies don't give them.

Current record sales are mainly down to the CRAP and over manufactured sh1te that is everywhere at the mo. I wonder if sales of non-manufactured artists are down to the same extent?
Old 10 February 2003, 03:23 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Consider also my mp3 collection. You won't find Will Young, Robbie Williams or S-Club in there.

The stuff I like is either mostly not available in HMV or Virgin or I would have to trawl around record fairs and the like to find a scratched old vynil copy and pay a collector's price to own it.

So how is that damaging the record industry??
Old 10 February 2003, 03:26 PM
ChrisB

It's also tosh because CD releases have declined.

Take the US, RIAAs own figures show approx 38,900 titles were released in 1999. In 2001, this figure fell to circa 27,000.

Less to buy = less sales, what's complicated about that?

Add in the vast majority of dross being released, over inflated prices in the UK and things become clear.

Teaser time. When was the last time a single went up to number one? A single used to enter the middle of the charts and work it's way up to #1. These days if a single doesn't make #1 on first day, there's little to zero chance to get there. As REV as says, there's so much pre-launch play for a record, everyone is board of it when it gets into the charts.
Old 10 February 2003, 03:27 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Angry

They should move with the times - we can easily share electronic files of all varieties and it makes the world a better place (except for Garry Glitter etc)

I bet all the **** shovellers went on like this when motor cars first took to the streets!

Would be nice to take the money out of the whole business IMHO so we may get some creative talent instead of mass produced sh1te - they make enough money from people ringing in to vote on Pop Idol anyway. If there was not so much money in recorded music it might revive the live music scene too - people will always pay to see a talented band live (if there were many left)
Old 10 February 2003, 03:28 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

I wonder if their figures take into offshore sales from the likes of cd-wow and play.com, I doubt it - its the prices charged by virgin, our price etc. that's the crime.
Old 10 February 2003, 06:05 PM
Luke
BANNED

Dont waste your money............600+ cds at least 400 copies from abroad. malaysia been the best copies. Total :£350.00...much cheaper and it helps the Artists suffer less drug problems....

Most of the new stuff doesnt deserve any money!!
Old 10 February 2003, 06:47 PM
Jye_0
BANNED

People pay for pre-recorded music, mainly fillers?

If bands can make it live in my neck oh the woods once in a while then np, but work for it if u want my cash ffs.

Guess I better get rid of me ol tape collection
Old 10 February 2003, 08:01 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

When (or if!) the record co's manage to eliminate piracy, and they are still knocking out the same old cr4p, which still no one buys, sales will still continue to fall.

Who or what do they blame then?

The record co's are just taking the short term view of ££££/$$$$, instead of looking at the real problems.

John
Old 10 February 2003, 10:19 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Remember when VHS killed off the film industry? It was swiftly followed by a boom in movie going...? The music business gets no symapthy from me.
Old 10 February 2003, 11:01 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

I never used to buy music, used to just record the charts off Radio 1 onto a C90

I buy more music (legally) today than I ever did. It just happens it is none of the sh*te that is in the charts (usually).

I would argue that I download music to listen to, yes, fine. If I like it I'll go and buy the CD. How is that different to listening/taping off the radio then if you like it going and buying the CD etc. ?

Cheers

Ian
Old 11 February 2003, 08:37 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You know what...?

If someone releases a really great and original sounding CD - lots of people buy it! (Take a look at 'By The Way' from the Chili Peppers - massively original and MULTI - platinum in many countries!!!)

If you release another 'me too' boy/girl/tranny band imitation of somebody elses ideas - then hey, its no great surprise that no one above the age of 12 is going to buy it. We are not all stupid enough to fall for the hype that the industry create (and blow budget on instead of supporting new artists)

The record companies have no one to blame but themselves for this sorry mess they call a music 'industry'. For a long time they have dictated what we should listen too. For a long time we did it. Now we choose to vote with our wallets and the general concensus is that the music industries choice of music is sheite!

Mak.
[/Musician's rant]
Old 11 February 2003, 09:37 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yep agree

its funny how when the monopolies and mergers commission looks into the over inflated price of CDs nothing ever happens! To quote Bono who once said "its not home recording thats killing music, its crap music thats killing music!" I for one are one of those individuals who prefers the 'real' article and still buys CDs in addition to downloading loads of stuff from kazaa, its a the same lame argument when casette tapes came out and when vcr's came out and neither of those did long term damage.

In the case of the film companies they are offering more, certainly in the case of DVDs I'll happily pay the money for a 2 disc collectors edition which is full of extras, rather than being palmed off with a remastered copy of an old film.

Old 11 February 2003, 11:07 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

It's the overpricing, IMHO, that's the main problem.
While you can still buy a CD in Britain for £12, and the same CD in USA for $12, people are bound to wonder.
And when the record companies trot out their crap excuse for their prices: how much it costs to make a CD, then you see a boxed set of classical music advertised on TV at less than £1 per CD, is there any wonder people vote with their wallets?
Alcazar[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11 February 2003, 12:50 PM
Scot123
Scooby Regular

Mak spot on mate.

EMI( I think) signed Robbie Williams for 80 million quid when the nearest offer was around 40 million, and this was after he split from his songwriter and said 'I'm past my best anyway'. WTF are these people on?????? I seriously doubt they're going to rake that back in quickly. They could have got him for 40 million and spend the rest on up and coming new bands. Who knows in a few years the could have ended up with 10 new U2s etc. Utter greed and sheer stupidity.

They are on their knees and they know it! I for one will cheer when they all go down the pan, it can't come soon enough.
Old 12 February 2003, 12:09 AM
Ralf
Scooby Regular

EVERY industry is down at the moment and CDs and records are the most unnecessary items in a crisis. So what do they expect??? They blame someone else for their own problems.

For piracy: Mick Jagger (not likely to fear loss of money any more but in the business for some time now) said he fears not piracy. The Rolling Stones are a live band. That cannot be caught on tape and downloaded.
Old 02 October 2003, 04:16 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

lol
I do buy some stuff- but rarely new. I also download loadsa stuff.

I download stuff to use @work....then buy a cheapy compliation album or whatever in a few months time when its in the bargain bin or reduced....simply to have the original somewhere for copyright reasons..ahem (PRS kiss my *** )
Id buy a lot more vinyl+Cds- if it wasnt so ridiculously overpriced in certain places....and also if there was better quality tunes.
Fed up of boy band/pupstars etc rubbish.

Simply laying the blame on pirates is a big cop out IMHO

[Edited by Freak - 2/10/2003 4:17:18 PM]
Old 02 October 2003, 06:41 PM
Eric the Fish
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think the popularity of TATU proves that Kazaa & the like can actually HELP to get the word out about new bands & new albums etc.

Their album, pictures, video, life story etc have been all over Kazaa for ages and they STILL manage to get to number one!

The UK record industy should learn to use the new technology to help promote music and make sure the deserving artists get paid for their performance, which is only fair.

I liken downloading to being like 'additional airplay' so I can decide if I really want to buy it. If I something find I really like I will most likely buy the CD anyway, as I'm still not won over with mp3 quality & I need it to go in the car (no mp3 in there yet)

I will also go to the concerts as I love LIVE music, but there is just so little good stuff to go and see!

I agree that most of it is their own fault for pandering to the 10-18 market with boybands & bimbobands, even if the later do look better

[Edited by Eric the Fish - 2/10/2003 6:44:11 PM]
Old 02 October 2003, 10:49 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hopps - I remember that debate (as well as the audio cassette one) too

mp3 is merely the latest 'version' of that. No threat to them. They are ruining it for themselves IMO.

Pete Waterman and that Lithgo bloke have a lot to answer for [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by unclebuck - 2/10/2003 10:50:33 PM]
Old 16 December 2014, 04:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just been listening to Blonde on Blonde on deezer, omg

Its probably not quite a fair comparison but it doesn't sound at as nice as the last time I played it ( on vinyl), probably 1982

Someone's got to it in other ways as well n
Old 16 December 2014, 06:05 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!!!!