Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fixed price ISP's???

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2000, 12:25 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought Breathe were doing something like £50 one of fee but I had a quick look on their site and couldn't find anything...
Old 14 July 2000, 11:34 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Due to changes at work, I now have the ability to work from home. The company is going to pay £30 each month for me to have fixed rate internet access.

The suggestion has been BT SurfTime (£20/month) and using one of the recommened ISP's (£10/month)

This should offer 24hours a day, 7 days a week, fixed rate internet access.

Does anyone know of any other companies willing to do this??

All help appreciated!!

Cheers
Andy
Old 14 July 2000, 01:16 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Question

got a feeling excite were doing one as well?

robski
Old 14 July 2000, 04:56 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Andy,
I am currently using ntl through a bt line ,i dial an 0800 number for free access 24/7 the only catch is you have to make £10 worth of phone calls a month through ntl,which i easily do anyway and they are far cheaper than bt .
Old 14 July 2000, 07:19 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Andy NTL service is excelent but you must be either NTL cable(not cable and wireless even though same company) or BT to use the service. Also you get kicked of if on longer than 2 hours no matter what but can go back on straight away no probs also if inactive for 20 minutes you will be dissconnect not a real prob as yuo can set something like outlook to autocheck mail every 15 minutes (probably a better way to do it but i dont know it).

Cheers
Simon
Ps here is there site http:/www.askntl.com
Old 15 July 2000, 04:30 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys!

I think I'll give NTL a call.

Cheers
Andy
Old 15 July 2000, 09:15 PM
Andy H
Scooby Regular

Angry

Andy

You will be lucky, ive been waiting since march for my disk, just keep getting emails saying sorry for the delay due to the overwelming demand.

Let me know if you get a disk before the end of August as i will be extremly P***ed of if you do, but at least it will give me some ammo against them as they promised to sort out exsisting customers first.

Andy H
Old 16 July 2000, 03:02 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Andy i preorderd my disk for release date got it 3 days earlier and could use straight away.

Cheers
Simon
Old 16 July 2000, 03:08 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Try this site :
Old 18 July 2000, 09:25 AM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

Talking

For info on BT's ADSL offering, go here:
Old 18 July 2000, 10:04 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I've got my name down for ADSL. It is avaliable in my area, and it will be £40 per month for an unlimited connection.

It's looking like August before it will be avaliable!!!

So I'll need something in the mean time!!
Old 18 July 2000, 12:21 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

You might want to have a look at BT's (or others) ADSL offering, tho they might not do it your area. I think you get basically a permanent free connection, plus 520Mbit speed, a bit more like it for working form home. Some sites offering ADSL mention contention others don't e.g. BT site doesn't. Contention means you have to share the connection with other users, upto 20 I think, which seems to me less than a modem if everyone's going for it, so you'd need to check this out, I haven't got to the bottom of it yet, but haven't tried very hard.

I think it's about £40 a month, not sure tho.

I have only just started looking into it so sorry I can't be more helpful.

Cheers

Simon
Old 18 July 2000, 06:29 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

simes,

on ADSL i believe that BT contend at twenty to one for business connections, and <B>FIFTY</B> to one for home/private ones.

Thus your 2Mbps downstream/512Kbps upstream link (dunno where 520Mbps comes from?) from your house to your local exchange is then shared onwards with 20 or 50 other folks (who, having chosen ADSL, will probably be heavy users n'all).

How does 2Mb divided by fifty compare with ISDN/Home Highway (or even V90)???!!!!

And seeing that BT provide the "local loop" from your house to the exchange in most cases, no matter what ISP you choose, you still rely on Busby/Ology/ET!

Oh, and you may well need a firewall, 'cos you get a fixed IP address (which is probably always on) - a wonderful target from crackers!!

mb
Old 18 July 2000, 07:01 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

While we're talking about DSL connections..

Contention will be an issue as it has been in the States. There are documented reports of ADSL users getting worse performance than a 56K modem.

The problems are similar to those experienced with cable modems. With cable modems, you are effectively in a LAN, sharing bandwidth with your neighbours. With ADSL the contention moves to the DSLAM (DSL Access Multiplexor - based in the exchange)and if you're not careful you can get problems.

This will be heightened when the service is first started - as everyone will want to try out their new connection.

Also be aware that ADSL connections are based on distance. Many of you will never get 512K because you will be too far away from the exchange (in theory ADSL can delivery anything upto 6Mb downstream, but only if you are within approx 1000 - 2000 feet from the exchange). The quality of the wiring also makes a big difference. ADSL is designed for copper, but I believe some parts of the country use aluminium wire which may affect performance. The gauge (thickness) of the wire will also have a bearing on performance.

Security is going to become a big issue. You need to consider a firewall, some ADSL modem/routers will have a built-in firewall and they will be sufficient. Having nothing is not an option if you value your data.

One other thing, don't be surprised if you see the Telco's introducing charges for the amount of data downloaded. This is one way to reduce the contention issue and it is reported that some operators in the States are looking into doing this. The last thing they want is everyone hanging web servers off their home connections.

All things considered though, I will be upgrading my ISDN link to ADSL as soon as it is available. Just don't believe all the hype and see it as the answer to all your problems.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited 18-07-2000).]
Old 18 July 2000, 09:23 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

I am sceptical of all things.

I have heard that ADSL trials went badly in some cases with bandwidth being reduced.

On the other hand I could well believe scare stories to be put round by BT themselves !!!!!! Quite simply because if ADSL is released and is a huge success they shoot themselves in the foot big time as ISDN is redundant overnight.

£10 a month for 24x7 ISDN is very good I think. £40 a month for ADSL is not so hot. And if it is shared forget it.

They'll not be getting MY money heh heh
Old 18 July 2000, 11:00 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lee

Good point - however the difference is that there will be competition. Within a year or so, BT is required to give up its monopoly of the local loop, meaning that you will suddenly have a variety of companies offering you these services (Redstone, NTL and COLT come to mind, plus a whole host of others).

BT will therefore have no choice. It must compete or lose its customer base. Telco's are always the same - services like ISDN and traditional leased lines (which in many cases already use DSL technology) are great revenue earners. There is no way they will give this up unless they are forced to - if you were in their position, would you?

I also think that BT is quoting 512K as an 'average' service, as I said in my previous post, the actual line speeds you achieve will vary greatly.

All services at some point become shared, it's just a case of how well you manage this!

Chris

-PS Sorry Andy, for hijacking your thread

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited 18-07-2000).]