Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Canada & New York - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2000, 08:12 PM
IDRIS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just managed, by the skin of my teeth to get booked for Toronto and New York!

It would great if those of you who have exprienced either place could offer advice about, things to see, places to go, shopping malls, blah, blah.

So any advice, will be well taken!

See Ya!
*IDRIS*
Old 13 July 2000, 09:00 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Been to NY 3 times. I love it, never stops buzzin.
Make sure you go to a store called Century 21. Its by the World Trade towers(another must)
Its a store full of designer gear at cool prices!
Empire state in must.
Sax department store.
Bloomongdales department store.
Central Park (good on a Sunday morning to see native New Yorkers relaxing)
Rockafella Centre.
Broadway and take in a musical its awsome.
If you can go and try to get some tickets to watch the New York Rangers play ice hockey.
I cant describe the atmosphere .
Basically theres too much to do and see in 1 visit so go again!
Hope you enjoy,
Regards,Arron.B.
Old 13 July 2000, 09:50 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Ah Toronto very nice. Just on the US side of the border there we several " factory outlets" which were outrageously cheap for stuff like decent branded trainers and jeans. Got a top pair of cross trainers for £12 which I saw for £70.00 over here.

Toronto has a good mix of cultures and a big Chinese and Japanese community so if you like this type of food you'll be spolit for choice.

One word of warning..avoid Tacho Bell at all costs !!

AllanB
Old 13 July 2000, 10:34 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with Arron B if you have not booked hotel yet(ie flight only) highly recomend The Eddison just on time square. And if there are a few of you make sure you do a helicopter ride round statue of liberty they do it from just by the USS Enterprise (i think but might be star trek flashback) Big boat on hudson) also recomend going round said bought if you like that sort of thing

Cheers
Simon
Ps Go with empty suitcases and first stop century 21
PPs if you do helicopter at night make sure your camera flash can be turned off mine cant and ive got no decent photos
Old 13 July 2000, 11:08 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yep cool places..

Been several times...

Dont forget Niagra falls..

J.
Old 14 July 2000, 12:23 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Talking

Regarding that glass floor in the CN Tower. Wait until everyone's stood on it and then run on and jump up and down. Amazing how quick people scatter )(and the glass is only about two feet thick!)
Definitely take emnpty suitcases (or just buy them there if you want to pay low prices for top luggage). Clothes and shoes/boots are silly money. Paid £30 for £90 Caterpillar boots... Check out Queen Street for some groovy shops and bars (A bit Campden Town-ish if you like that sort of thing)
Keep all your receipts as you can claim either state or country VAT-type tax back when you get back which works out about 7%. Add <>15% to all prices as tax not included. Forget Canada for electricals - get them in USA. Came back with about 30 CDs/DVDs last time out there
Niagara Falls are awesome, but the town is like Minehead on a bad day. 2-3 hours drive if I remember. In Toronto, you can even walk around at night and feel safe. Very odd feeling...

Imprezas are rarer than Rocking Horse Poo. Seen one in 4 weeks

Enjoy
Joolz
Old 14 July 2000, 08:03 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

NY

Take the open top bus trip on first day - get to see all mid and down town, then decide what you want to go back and see properly.

Circle line ferry also very good. Saks is a must, I found Century 21 disappointing, Macy's was better from bargain perspective. The veiw from Brooklyn of the Manhatten skyline at night is another must. Time Square Brewery for meal. China Club for star spotting (we saw Micheal Douglas & Robert DeNiro + supermodels, sportstars etc etc) but club doesn't get moving until 1-2am. Grenwich Village and Soho both during day and at night..............
Old 14 July 2000, 08:46 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Cool

If you like heights /views make sure you do the CN tower in Toronto with its glass floor ! Also top of the World Trade Centre in New York, twin towers, one has a viewing deck on the roof which is good on a clear day and the other has a bar on the top floor which is simply amazing on a clear night. It can be a bit worrying looking down on planes and helicopters though !
In NY there is a big speed boat called The Beast that runs from Pier 17 Seaport - I've not managed to get round to it yer but it is supposed to be great fun !