Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speeding/Motoring Policy....Have your say!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2002, 08:32 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Have received the following, sounds like a worthwhile cause, initial sceptisim alleviated (for me) by the second email received after I had logged my 'vote'

1st Message....

Have the Govt lost the plot over Speeding/Motoring policy? Log your answer below.

Theygotitright@aol.com
Theygotitwrong@aol.com

Our overzealous government, and frequently power-crazy police force are making you public enemy number one for daring to exceed the speed limit by even 1MPH (despite that the same speed could well have been perfectly safe the month/year earlier).

These overzealous speed detection (so called Road Safety measures) mean we now have to spend more time watching for grey boxes, unrealistic speed limit signs, hiding police cars/men/women/cameras, etc rather than watching the road.

No longer do the Police allow a 10% variance (or 10% + 2mph as they are advised to do). They WILL nick you at 31/32/33mph in a 30 limit, even if it is perfectly safe to do more than that. Since being allowed to keep speeding fines, Police forces target their officers on the numbers of speeders caught to maximise speeding revenue.

Speeding cameras are appearing everywhere. They were supposed to be placed at accident blackspots, but are more usually found on safe roads with no accident record, but WITH an unrealistically low speed limit to maximise effectiveness....revenue not road safety.

BUT it isn't just your money the Government want - it is your FREEDOM. Get caught at 31mph in a 30 zone 4 times in 3 years - YOU WILL LOSE YOUR LICENCE FOR 6 MONTHS. Get caught at 90 on a motorway 3 times and you will likewise lose your right to drive. No car? No job?

Worse of all though, despite a massive increase in speed cameras (400-500% more in a year!!) road death's have INCREASED.

Around 5% MORE people died on british roads in 2001 than in 2000 despite 1000s of extra cameras and police speed traps.

Don't sit in silence, reply to the below and log your say. The results will be sent to the government and the national press.

Theygotitright@aol.com - I agree with the Government/Police stance, practices and policies.
Theygotitwrong@aol.com - I disagree with the Government/Police stance, practices and policies.

On top of that, the Government are taking or 'stealing' over £33bn
(£33,000,000,000) from the motorist in taxes and underhand charges. All these taxes were implemented to pay for the repairs to the road network and fund alternative transport option yet LESS THAN £5bn is returned to the 'roads'. They are stealing almost 90% of the money for themselves (Tony's war-chest)

Every time your fill up with petrol/diesel, over 80% of the money you pay is going straight to the government. That's over £40 in a £50-tankful. The tax on fuel is over 500%. If they was no tax on fuel, we would be paying around 15p per litre.

Theygotitright@aol.com - I agree with the Government/Police stance, practices and policies.
Theygotitwrong@aol.com - I disagree with the Government/Police stance, practices and policies.

*Campaign for REAL road safety and common sense

2nd message 'reply'

Thanks for your response.

So far out of 627 responses, 2 have supported the govt, but 625 think they have indeed 'lost the plot'. All that in just over a week of this survey, and accurate at 10pm, 2/10/02.

Still unsure what it will achieve, but if I can get a massive response, and a continued massive condemnation of govt. policy and police attitude then perhaps some good will come of the findings.

Apologies for the low-rent email approach but I don't have the knowledge to set up a website. Furthermore, I am in the public eye, so visibly enlisting others help is difficult, therefore setting up 3 email accounts was the easiest option for me, AOL was the most manageable!

Please keep spreading the word about this simple poll, the more responses the better!

I am unable to answer emails sent to this address, difficult to send an acknowledgement as it is with so many sent, but for any queries over this content being spam/bandwith waste etc, please feel free to direct people at my home/source email for this poll GovtDOYOUAGREE@aol.com and I will try and answer as many as I can.

Thanks again

Your campaigner for REAL road safety