Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice on logging an official complaint with a NHS Hospital?

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2002, 04:52 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just wondered the best way to go about this?
I am going to write a letter, but who do I send it to..

C/O ???????

Cheers, Alex
Old 03 July 2002, 05:10 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Which Hospital?

I can find out who
Old 03 July 2002, 08:40 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Generally agree with Bravo2Zero.

A few years ago my mum went into hospital for a hysterectomy and an apparent routine operation on her bladder. During the op they cut a tube to a kidney, realised this and repaired it. After a few days of my mum complaining of pain and being told not to be so silly by the staff she was discharged. A week or so after she was rushed back in and had a further operation that discovered the repair had split therefore the ruin and removal of what was a perfectly good kidney. It was not until this happened that we were told about the original repair.

Fortunatly my parents contents insurance had legal cover and they agreed that it would be worthwhile pursuing this thru the courts. After 4 years and numerous amount of stalling tactics the NHS finally offered a settlement. At this time the court costs were more than 3 times the settlement. My parents had no option but to accept as the NHS lodged the settlement with the court which meant that if the court found less than this my parents would have been liable to their costs (this was in excess of £25k), they had to accept.

I am also very bitter about the NHS because of this.

By the way one of the consultants said that everything should be ok as the other kidney was fine. A very sobering thought.

I could go on for ages but you can probably see my point, You need to have a lot of financial back up and a watertight case.
Old 03 July 2002, 09:37 PM
Luke
BANNED

Take the individuals to court??? Could this work??
Old 04 July 2002, 01:26 AM
brendy
Scooby Regular

All hospitals have a complaints officer to deal with the large number of complaints - most of which come from scum bags wanting money for various alleged mistakes!!!
I am of course generalising and await your comments slagging me off.
It is a little known fact in the modern NHS a patient / nutter / chromosomally challenged idiot can make repeated compliants about anything and everything but due to the rules they will all be investigated and time will be wasted by a consultant replying to these no matter how stupid they are.
Write your letter - you may be surprised by the response - the system changed in 1998 and I presume most of the above incidents occured before this.
Old 04 July 2002, 09:30 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Alex, have a chat with anders from 22b.com, he's been most helpful with advice whilst my sons been ill.

Old 04 July 2002, 09:42 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Everything according to the NHS is a calculated risk of the procedure necessary to treat you. Therefore anything that goes wrong was always a possibility and risk that was possible from the start.

...... I wish it would be abolished and replaced with a medical care system that is safe and efficient.
I'm sure any advances you can offer to medical science to eliminate the risks inherent with medical procedures will be gratefully recieved acknowledged.

Take the individuals to court??? Could this work??
Depends what you're after. Assurances it will never happen again. Assurances that procedures will be reviwed to minimise risks. the individuals to be prevented from practicing medicine again. Real money to help with ongoing costs caused by genuine negligence. A large cash bonanza to help you get your next car because "you can" and its not "real money" anyway.

If its any of the first reasons then yes. If its the latter (like too many complaints/court actions thses days) then I'll keep my comments to myself.

Deano
Old 04 July 2002, 09:09 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Dear all,

Just for the record, I'm not looking to sue them or similar, I am mearly looking to log a complaint about the way things were handled. If I want to sue I'd be on the phone to my solicitor.

But, I'm only too aware the NHS has limited funds and I'm not interested reducing that further, and anyway in this case what they did or rather didn't do, only caused emotional distress - hardly worth suing over - but worth logging a complaint about.

AVI - the hospital in question was the ROYAL SURREY, Guildford.

Also, I don't want to waste anyones time, but do thing they need to dragstically improve the hand-over procedures they employ at the Royal Surrey, as the main problem was communication.

Alex
Old 04 July 2002, 09:39 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Hmmm. If in doubt swear at someone.

I'm sorry if you suffered personally from negligence. but. Everything in this life from getting out of bed, crossing the road, ragging the **** of a scooby, taking a panadol, any medical procedure - has risks. Some small. some large. You can't wish them away. some can be minimized. they can never be eliminated 100%. If someone screwed up , then yes they should be held accountable - I certainly didnt deny it. I certainly can't put the clock back. But the assumption that anything we do can be made 100% risk free is bollox. Its why I do a nice relatively safe office job - I couldn't live with the thought that every day I had the ability to cause people the sort of problems you've described.

Deano