Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Royal Family costs

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2019, 05:58 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Royal Family costs

Why do we need a Royal family, and why do we have to pay for their property repairs.

They cost a bloody fortune, and look at the recent 2.4 million to renovate the newly wed couples house - WTF
Old 25 June 2019, 07:24 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea this is true and they get allocated £82million a year for everything, but they bring in more than twice that.
Old 25 June 2019, 07:30 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Houses are crazy prices full stop !
Old 25 June 2019, 09:13 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Will the haters not enjoy the 3 days off when lizzy clocks it.
Old 25 June 2019, 10:24 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

What the royal family brings in tourism more than offsets their costs. They also have a huge contribution in negotiating international trade, particularly in the arms business, particularly Prince Andrew. The Queen also contributes a significant amount in taxes on her private income. Whether you are a fan of the royal family or not, their benefit to the UK economy is undeniable!
The following users liked this post:
Old 26 June 2019, 09:02 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont care for them at all, but they do more good than harm to the country,
Old 26 June 2019, 09:14 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Doesnt the world have too many arms allready ?
Old 26 June 2019, 09:40 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
Doesnt the world have too many arms allready ?
I've only got two

But on a serious note, the arms industry is pretty much the only significant industry left in the UK where we are still world leading. In a post Brexit world both the arms industry and the royals are only going to be more important to the success of the UK!
Old 26 June 2019, 12:55 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Hmmm, £1.24. I am sure I can live with that.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-royal...-year-11748503
Old 26 June 2019, 01:44 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Hmmm, £1.24. I am sure I can live with that.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-royal...-year-11748503
Don't forget, part of their costs are to perform official duties as head of state which would otherwise have to be done by a president. If we replaced the royals with a president, I doubt we would save much!
Old 26 June 2019, 02:27 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
Why do we need a Royal family, and why do we have to pay for their property repairs.

They cost a bloody fortune, and look at the recent 2.4 million to renovate the newly wed couples house - WTF
The Crown Estate gives HM Treasury about £350million a year, and then they are funded out of that, so it's a nett gain from the Royals (not even including the tourism).

You only have to look at the huge entourage that some goon like Trump drags around with him to realise that a head of state is expensive, whether hereditary or voted for! At least the Queen isn't a national embarrassment

Last edited by Mr Fuji; 26 June 2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 26 June 2019, 05:52 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Why is it that the minute anyone mentions the cost of the so-called Royal Family all common sense and reason goes out of the window?
Even the normally rational, sensible commentators on here seem to lose their marbles.

They boost our tourism? Well in that case how is that the USA (no royal family) earns 5 times as much from international tourism as the UK? How is it that Germany (no Royal Family) and France (no Royal Family and a similar sized economy to us) each earn roughly the same from tourism as the UK? *

They make good Heads of State? FFS, ever heard of Mary Robinson? Probably not. You won’t have read much about Ireland’s former HoS in any tabloid. I’ve never heard an embarrassing word about her and she’s nowhere near as expensive. None-royals can be good Heads of State too. You just have to be careful who you choose.

They great value: Really? I could do the job for half the price and give much better value. I just need to raise my boredom threshold and practice my small talk.

They’re good at selling arms? Then give them jobs in aerospace and put them on sales commission.

They do more good than harm for the country: God help us! That interbred shower underpin Britain’s class system, stifle merit-based attainment and entrap our nation in social immobility and encourage nothing more than fawning obsequiousness. But they keep the tabloids busy and prop up our titillated celebrity culture, I suppose.

The Queen/Queen Mother/DoE are/was really wonderful? I doubt they really are/were. They’re just people running a family business. I’ve lost count of the amount of ‘amusing’ anecdotes I’ve heard about the royals that from anyone else would be marked down as mindless, banal chit-chat.

And, even if you convinced me that the Queen really is wonderful, how many of you, a few good years from now, will happily strike up that first ‘God Save Our Gracious King’ without a baulk of hesitation at the thought that you’re singing about her son.

But all of that is trivia really. The thing I hate the most about the Monarchy is that it make’s me a ‘subject’. I don’t want to be a subject. I don’t want to be subject to the whim of a Parliament empowered by a Monarch.

I’m a republican. I’d like to have a constitution that’s written down. I’d like to have a Bill of Rights.

I want to be a citizen.

__________________________________________________ _____
* source: worldatlas

Last edited by SouthWalesSam; 26 June 2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 26 June 2019, 09:54 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
Why is it that the minute anyone mentions the cost of the so-called Royal Family all common sense and reason goes out of the window?
Even the normally rational, sensible commentators on here seem to lose their marbles.

They boost our tourism? Well in that case how is that the USA (no royal family) earns 5 times as much from international tourism as the UK? How is it that Germany (no Royal Family) and France (no Royal Family and a similar sized economy to us) each earn roughly the same from tourism as the UK? *
The USA is easily 10 times the size of the UK, France has far better weather, and Germany has far better wine
Old 26 June 2019, 11:38 PM
Alex_Rochester
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You Brits with "repblican' tendencies can always revisit your own civil war, form another New Model Army........
Old 27 June 2019, 09:21 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

No-one does Pomp & Ceremony quite like the Brits - the envy of the world - long may it continue
Old 27 June 2019, 01:50 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by markjmd
and Germany has far better wine
I would seriously question that
Old 27 June 2019, 02:11 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok, slightly better wine, but better weather and lots of other stuff to see
Old 27 June 2019, 02:42 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

White wines are fantastic, red wines are terrible!
Old 28 June 2019, 01:46 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
But all of that is trivia really. The thing I hate the most about the Monarchy is that it make’s me a ‘subject’. I don’t want to be a subject. I don’t want to be subject to the whim of a Parliament empowered by a Monarch.

I’m a republican. I’d like to have a constitution that’s written down. I’d like to have a Bill of Rights.

I want to be a citizen.

It mean absolutely nothing to be a subject, what's the problem? In the US, you have to swear an oath to the flag, it's just words, who cares? If we were a republic, it would not make on jot of difference to you.

However, having a president with executive power could have serious consequences. Look at what Trunt is doing in America with executive power. At least here Parliament holds the PM to account!

As for a Bill of Rights, we have one, it's still valid and has been used recently?
Old 01 July 2019, 08:36 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I like it that the UK is different to rest of the world. For me it makes the UK more interesting. USA makes me laugh there obsessed with there chuffing flag.
Old 01 July 2019, 09:42 AM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markjmd
The USA is easily 10 times the size of the UK, France has far better weather, and Germany has far better wine beer
edited for accuracy
Old 01 July 2019, 02:10 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

They are utter bollocks...but they are a net gain to the economy through various means so despite the privileged existence they have they have a positive input to UK plc.
Old 01 July 2019, 04:38 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I like it that the UK is different to rest of the world. For me it makes the UK more interesting. USA makes me laugh there obsessed with there chuffing flag.
A lot of them are also obsessed with our flag, ironically. Their flag is like a holy thing to them but it's a 50/50 as to quite how fanatical they are about it.

I too will be worshiping the flag this week on 7/4 - gone proper native

Many over here love the idea of Royalty in the UK and it's certainly something many spend their $ on by visiting the UK regularly.

The Royals have their place and do indeed benefit us more than they eff us. I didn't always feel this way but then I changed my opinion a bit and saw them for the tools they are - take that as you wish, haha