Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gatwick airport drone

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2018, 06:24 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I’m pretty certain if I had an AR-15 with a red dot scope I could get five rounds into it before it hit the ground.
From experience - no chance.
A shotgun is way more effective, produces only short distance collateral damage but will ground the drone.
In the Korean War the British used a cannister round. The chinese would swarm tanks, you fired a 105mm cannister round at each other to knock them off. Also an excellent de-foliant.
Shot guns
Old 20 December 2018, 07:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
This is currently on route to Gatwick

I’d imagine that hovering that above a drone would create enough downdraft to overwhelm it and force it to the ground!
Old 20 December 2018, 07:21 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Interesting
Old 20 December 2018, 07:49 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Interesting
Old 20 December 2018, 09:10 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Interesting
that,s some funny **** right there...
Old 21 December 2018, 12:07 AM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Lol!
Old 21 December 2018, 06:10 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

This is a joke now!
Old 21 December 2018, 09:08 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how are the police so much better prepared today then I wonder, if this drone ******** decides to return
Old 21 December 2018, 10:01 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The military are there.
Old 21 December 2018, 10:41 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
The military are there.
And?
They didn't do much yesterday
Old 21 December 2018, 10:51 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Dotting a couple of these round the airport should solve the problem
Old 21 December 2018, 01:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by urban
And?
They didn't do much yesterday

Ah, but now they’ve filled in the risk assessment form and faxed it to their superior who has since returned from his round of golf. Meanwhile staying on hold to their insurance company for 3 hours waiting for policy clarification about any possible injury cover for a falling drone, getting cut off several times during the process before finally being told they will call back, which they didn’t.

Since then, some influential big wig, after hearing of the havoc has told them “Stop faffing and just shoot the sodding thing”.

The BBC did a nice article about your typical employee...One in Five actually does nothing productive despite ‘looking busy’. Yesterday, it was that person who was in charge at Gatwick.
Old 21 December 2018, 05:32 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Fcuked again
Old 21 December 2018, 06:01 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

heard today that who ever is doing it has a phd in electronics to be able to control said drone using frequencys that are unjamable using standard jaming equipment, this was said by a electronics wizard
Old 21 December 2018, 07:10 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

absolute idiots. they will spoil the hobby for everyone after this as the new drone regulations are getting looked at in 2019 i,ll bet they are much tougher now because of these pillocks. i thought they might have deployed one of these : https://dronecatcher.nl/#
Old 21 December 2018, 11:00 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Apparently they have brought on site a Rafael drone dome which the MOD bought 6 back in August.
Old 22 December 2018, 12:16 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It is a good job the Germans didn't have £50 argos drones or the battle of Britain would have had a totally different outcome.
Old 22 December 2018, 10:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Seems the couple that were arrested appear to relatively normal people living in suburbia. Just throwing this out there, but has anyone living near a flight path noticed more aircraft operate lower at more unsociable hours?

I live on the fringe of a approach route to BHX, never a issue...until more recent times when after midnight I get the odd low flying plane right over my house. And it’s ALWAYS a 787. I’ve sent the odd complaint to their complaint dept but just get the standard scripted reply.

I fear that because these newer planes, like the 787 are supposedly quieter, they are allowed to use certain approach paths at unsociable hours where a more traditional ‘noiser’ jet wouldn’t be allowed. I can assure you a 787 is no quieter....

Would someone who has suffered a change and increase in noise from aircraft distrupting their sleep on a regular basis become motivated enough to disrupt the airport? It crossed my mind the last time one woke me up.

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 December 2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 22 December 2018, 10:52 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Be interesting to see how this one pans out. The blokes boss said it can't have been him he was at work at the time of the drone sightings. So either his boss is a liar and needs him back at work or the Police/Media are naming and shaming the wrong people before they have been convicted of anything!
Old 22 December 2018, 11:24 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drone rifles have been available for some time - I'd have thought they would have been a tactical option for Airport police? The drone threat, be it nuisance or terrorism related has been on the cards for some time, shocking to watch how unprepared the airport and authorities were for this over the last few days.

Part of me was thinking as this was ongoing whether this was a tactic to contain thousands of people in one place in readiness of some kind of terrorist attack on the terminal building, thankfully it wasn't the case.
Old 23 December 2018, 02:36 AM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Drone rifles have been available for some time - I'd have thought they would have been a tactical option for Airport police? The drone threat, be it nuisance or terrorism related has been on the cards for some time, shocking to watch how unprepared the airport and authorities were for this over the last few days.

Part of me was thinking as this was ongoing whether this was a tactic to contain thousands of people in one place in readiness of some kind of terrorist attack on the terminal building, thankfully it wasn't the case.
No disrespect meant but "Drone Rifles". Others saying "shoot them down". "use jammers". If it were that simple it would of been done. It is truly not that simple. Firstly what goes up comes down, including bullets. Police do not have the correct protocols in place to shoot random things up, Humans yes. Animals yes. Drones no! "jammers", sure the technology has existed for some time now, however it is rather generic. It will knock out all mobile phones, comms eqpt (including all airport, police, emergency services etc etc) and most importantly AIRCRAFT eqpt. Then once you destroy any nefarious signal you cannot track it so you lose the ability to gather information that is essential to defeat it long term. You can't combat earth quakes, tsunamis, plaques or drone events without them first taking place and studying them and building up a bigger picture.

Look at the bigger picture here. This could of been a dry run for a bigger event. Do you stop it immediately? Do you look at what could come following it? You do the latter if no one is being hurt, gather information and project that forward.

I feel for anyone affected by this but people need think further on this. A large size drone can carry 5kg (if not more) on a short flight. Some of the worlds largest delivery companies can actually deliver you your parcels using drones. What if someone decided to deliver something else?

Now consider other uses of drones? This is far more wider reaching than people stuck in airports!

There are many many many other pieces of information to consider here, however it's not really forum information. There really needs to be some serious debates on this and there will be, but we will not here about it. In the next year or so all drones sold in the UK will be registered, more likely than not. their performance restricted and in time will likely all work on a frequency that is widely known and easy to combat.

The silver lining is this is now in the public eye, it has been a growing issue for 24 months if not longer in the UK. These people have actually done you and your families a favour you possibly just don't all see it yet!!!

It's a great topic though for NSR
Old 23 December 2018, 08:22 AM
karloswrxsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are an absolute **** keep your stupid comments to yourself in your padded room
Old 23 December 2018, 11:28 AM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pair questioned over drone sightings that closed Gatwick airport released without charge, Sussex Police say
Old 23 December 2018, 11:57 AM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Seems like they're struggling to catch anyone.
£50,000 reward now offered to arrest/convict suspect.
Old 23 December 2018, 03:08 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Be interesting to see how this one pans out. The blokes boss said it can't have been him he was at work at the time of the drone sightings. So either his boss is a liar and needs him back at work or the Police/Media are naming and shaming the wrong people before they have been convicted of anything!
What a surprise! The media and police completely **** up again and accuse 2 completely innocent people. I hope they sue for wrongful arrest and damages against the media. The police and media are a ******* disgrace.
Old 23 December 2018, 03:49 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

What a surprise! The media and police completely **** up again and accuse 2 completely innocent people. I hope they sue for wrongful arrest and damages against the media. The police and media are a ******* disgrace.
How do you know it was a wrongful arrest, as apposed to it simply being insufficient evidence to charge?
Old 23 December 2018, 05:05 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Felix why don't fly up and ****ing catch them, your always on the defence of useless bullied at school tossers who stitch innocent people up for brownie points. Happy Christmas.
Old 23 December 2018, 07:20 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

And now a hint that the drones may have not existed !?

"..He added there was always a possibility that there may not have been any genuine drone activity in the first place", but they were working on a range of information from members of the public, police officers and staff working at Gatwick who had reported otherwise..."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...there-13772183
Old 23 December 2018, 07:45 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Felix why don't fly up and ****ing catch them, your always on the defence of useless bullied at school tossers who stitch innocent people up for brownie points. Happy Christmas.
Keep out of the conversation if you can't answer the question without resorting to meaningless irrelevant rubbish.

In what context have they been 'stitched up'?

Last edited by Felix.; 23 December 2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 23 December 2018, 08:25 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.
Keep out of the conversation if you can't answer the question without resorting to meaningless irrelevant rubbish.

In what context have they been 'stitched up'?
Nothing meaningless or irrelevant just the truth about our supposed law.

Quick Reply: Gatwick airport drone