Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gatwick airport drone

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2018, 08:22 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gatwick airport drone

Why can't someone just go and shoot the ******* thing down?
Old 20 December 2018, 08:41 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
thats what i was thinking, shoot it down and then examine it for finger-prints and then go and taser the ****-pig who it belongs to
Old 20 December 2018, 09:13 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

If it's shot and comes down on someone it'll be far worse than some people being late to holiday.
Send a drone up to follow the ******!
Old 20 December 2018, 09:45 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

There's no people on the airfield except staff sure, and nothing flying above, so send Jimmy out with the shotgun to sort it out and tell the staff to take cover for a bit
Old 20 December 2018, 10:22 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Id love to know what drone can stay in the air for 12 hours !!!
Old 20 December 2018, 01:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I’m pretty certain if I had an AR-15 with a red dot scope I could get five rounds into it before it hit the ground.
Old 20 December 2018, 01:23 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Its a disgrace, why won't they shoot them down, there must be more than one I would assume.
Old 20 December 2018, 01:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Lads, lads...are we all forgetting just how much CO2 HASN'T been spewed into the atmosphere by those awful planes while they have been grounded.

We should surely be encouraging the closure of every airport to support our drive against the nasty Global warming, or whatever they have renamed it now, shouldn't we???
Old 20 December 2018, 01:33 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If they catch who's doing it they will be in for a world of pain - nutters! - its a 5 year jail sentence flying within 1km of an airport
BBC reckon its not a 'retail' drone but a big one...
Old 20 December 2018, 01:34 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

**** the atmosphere, people are stranded here, these ********* are ruining peoples holidays, they could very well have connecting flights to get to a final destination to be with family over the holidays.
Old 20 December 2018, 01:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

**** the atmosphere, people are stranded here, these ********* are ruining peoples holidays, they could very well have connecting flights to get to a final destination to be with family over the holidays.
Ah yes, but if we halt AGW, won't everyone be safer? And happier? What's a few holidays with that goal in mind?

Old 20 December 2018, 01:37 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

He said police had not wanted to shoot the devices down because of the risk from stray bullets.
What risk is this then I wonder?

I also note it says devices
Old 20 December 2018, 01:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Probably too many people in charge talking too much and procrastinating in fear they may actually be held accountable for taking a course of action; Indefinitely closing an airport shouldn’t even be an option.

Anyway, here is proof as to why you should not centralise your transport infrastructure round London.

Drone, airport screwed
Terror alert, airport screwed
Fire in terminal, airport screwed
Snow, airport screwed
Fog, airport screwed
Major aircraft incident (crash landing with debris everywhere), airport screwed
Major traffic incident on M25, nobody can get there
Major incident or RMT strike on railway, nobody can get there.

The UK needs to expand other non-london airports and interlinking infrastructure (road and rail) inbetween them to provide alternate travel, I bet well over 50% of travellers in/out of Gatwick aren’t going to/from a London/South East destination, same for Heathrow.

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 December 2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 20 December 2018, 01:52 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Probably too many people in charge talking too much and procrastinating in fear they may actually be held accountable for taking a course of action; Indefinitely closing an airport shouldn’t even be an option.

Anyway, here is proof as to why you should not centralise your transport infrastructure round London.

Drone, airport screwed
Snow, airport screwed
Fog, airport screwed

The UK needs to expand other non-london airports and interlinking infrastructure (road and rail) inbetween them to provide alternate travel, I bet well over 50% of travellers in/out of Gatwick aren’t going to/from a London/South East destination, same for Heathrow.
Some of the lucky sods on a flight from JFK have ended up at Donny. I can see them walking out the front doors of the terminal building and going...... errr what now. I suppose they can wonder around the perimeter fence and look at XH558 dumped next to the sewage works.
Old 20 December 2018, 02:00 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Drone, airport screwed
Snow, airport screwed
Fog, airport screwed

I wouldn't say I'm fan of centralization for its own sake, but still struggling to see how a large airport in any other part of the country wouldn't be similarly affected by any of the potential problems you point out here.

Old 20 December 2018, 02:11 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

XH558 dumped outside --- please say it's not so...… :: I thought it was in a hanger?
Old 20 December 2018, 02:41 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Has no one heard of radio frequency jammers, I am not a drone expert but if it loses signal does it not return to where it came from or just hover?
Maybe they should add this feature into the firmware of them, if it loses signal it will return to where it came from even if it regains signal. Then the 5.0 can just follow it to where it lands.

once it is hovering knock it out of the sky with a helicopter, or blast it from above with a shotgun.

Last edited by Wurzel; 20 December 2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 20 December 2018, 03:13 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe they should do this.
Old 20 December 2018, 03:48 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Police won't shoot it down due to risk of stray bullets. Jammers can't be used due to the strength needed and the risk to the airports ILS and other sensitive transmitting equipment. The drones are being used once every hour or so and batteries are being changed over. It's a planned and coordinated attack to be able to maintain it this long without being caught. The drones being used can't even be followed as they are disappearing too quickly meaning either the operator knows the path back to home very well and keeps very low or its using programmed way points so it can fly fast and low without operator error and crashing. They can be anywhere in a 5 mile radius from the airport if they are using professional class drones so not easy to find.

Those responsible for this need to be going to jail. It's ruined a lot of peoples Christmas, closed down one of the World's busiest airports and cost vast amounts in resources in trying to find those responsible. It will also do untold damage to the future use of drones by law abiding operators.
Old 20 December 2018, 03:51 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Has no one heard of radio frequency jammers, I am not a drone expert but if it loses signal does it not return to where it came from or just hover?
Maybe they should add this feature into the firmware of them, if it loses signal it will return to where it came from even if it regains signal. Then the 5.0 can just follow it to where it lands.

once it is hovering knock it out of the sky with a helicopter, or blast it from above with a shotgun.
Rumour has it it was a very large industrial type of drone..

As for returning to home, most decent consumer grade drones have it.. mine has the option to return home, hover or land where it is when signal is lost. Your 50 quid argos special wouldnt do that but they only have about 8-10 mins flight time anyway.
Old 20 December 2018, 04:05 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Military sources have told Sky News that help will be provided

Well that's it then, 4 squaddies with GPMGs will have the thing down in seconds
Old 20 December 2018, 04:15 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Military sources have told Sky News that help will be provided

Well that's it then, 4 squaddies with GPMGs will have the thing down in seconds
This is currently on route to Gatwick

Old 20 December 2018, 04:57 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought they had hawks and falcons at airports trained to take these things down? One thing is sure that when they are caught it’s definite jail term
Old 20 December 2018, 05:06 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Lads, lads...are we all forgetting just how much CO2 HASN'T been spewed into the atmosphere by those awful planes while they have been grounded.

We should surely be encouraging the closure of every airport to support our drive against the nasty Global warming, or whatever they have renamed it now, shouldn't we???
Weirdly enough you are about right , i wouldn't be surprised if it was Sir David ****in' Attenborough with the drone as a last ditch attempt to get people to wake the **** up and take notice ,climate change deniers are starting to sound more like flat earthers every day ,deny climate change people look at you like you're stupid [you are] pretend not to believe in climate change to troll people and you're damaging the future of the planet for the rest of our species ,how do you not understand this,

the Earth is not flat, it is round [or oblique spheroid],, climate change is real where do you think all the burnt carbon goes to.?

The last 16 hottest years on record have been in the last 17 years, glaciers melting at record rates, global converging droughts spell armageddon level food shortages and food wars ,but trump says no problem because he's sucking oil/coal dollar **** the lousy lying *******, when your scoobyneters children and grandchildren are suffering look back to now you'll be ashamed you did nothing you can't give a **** for their future, shame on you ,shame...

So fly that fukin drone Sir Dave , 'cos someone needs the ***** to spark some REAL changes that no politician ever will...

Old 20 December 2018, 05:11 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I thought they had hawks and falcons at airports trained to take these things down? One thing is sure that when they are caught it’s definite jail term
No that's for pigeons

Eagles have been trained to take drones down but it's not a reliable solution and certainly not widely available.
Old 20 December 2018, 05:13 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

stray bullet hit in head kill public problem
Old 20 December 2018, 05:16 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

There's no people on the airfield except staff sure, and nothing flying above, so send Jimmy out with the shotgun to sort it out and tell the staff to take cover for a bit
shotgun too short range airport huge
Old 20 December 2018, 05:22 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

...anyway can't talk now , this drone won't fly itself.
Old 20 December 2018, 05:33 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Why have we not seen any evidence of these drones yet?
Old 20 December 2018, 05:52 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Why have we not seen any evidence of these drones yet?
Because they are small relative to the airport and from only 100 feet away they almost disappear from view ,plus I guess it's an alien flat Earth conspiracy
or maybe a tiny alien spacecraf,t with aliens shocked at our huge bodies and vast planes
whatever is going on it's 'cos of brexit

Last edited by matty01; 20 December 2018 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Gatwick airport drone