Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dislocated shoulder

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2018, 09:49 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Dislocated shoulder

Well I've truly fekked up my Christmas this year. Yesterday morning I slipped down my stairs @2am,I grabbed the banister with my right hand but but bodyweight shot down wrenching my arm outwards and over my head. I ended up in a+e where they told me after numerous xrays that I had a dislocated shoulder,a crack in my shoulder blade along with a possible acute tear in my rotator cuff. There is also tissue damage to my pectoral muscle.

I now have my arm in a sling and I'm loading up on pain killers........merry fecking Christmas.

absolutely the most painful thing I have gone through and the reduction process (re-locating the shoulder) was like torture.
Old 17 December 2018, 12:12 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Owch. Can only sympathise,at least you are off work, unless self employed?

Plenty of cocodamol, unless they can give you something stronger (probably not as they banned all the decent stuff), or maybe sample some single malts.

All the best fella!
Old 17 December 2018, 06:10 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Owch. Can only sympathise,at least you are off work, unless self employed?

Plenty of cocodamol, unless they can give you something stronger (probably not as they banned all the decent stuff), or maybe sample some single malts.

All the best fella!
im lucky that i have 3 weeks off work starting today. im taking some decent painkillers that my mrs has stashed away. plenty of jd in stock aswell lol
Old 17 December 2018, 09:51 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Ouch. You really know how to prepare for the holidays don't you Shrek?

You have my sympathy. Women complain about childbirth!!!!!!
Old 17 December 2018, 12:15 PM
D17KDB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in your club unfortunately. I dislocated my left shoulder on Friday. The worst pain I have ever felt in my life.
I start physio next Monday. Not looking forward to that at all.
Old 17 December 2018, 12:31 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D17KDB
I'm in your club unfortunately. I dislocated my left shoulder on Friday. The worst pain I have ever felt in my life.
I start physio next Monday. Not looking forward to that at all.
how did you dislocate yours? I'm dreading physio aswell, I've been trying a few small exercises but I can barely move it so it may be too soon
Old 17 December 2018, 12:41 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Ouch. You really know how to prepare for the holidays don't you Shrek?

You have my sympathy. Women complain about childbirth!!!!!!
Lol yep, I had so many plans for my 3 weeks off and now I cant even sit and play my xbox because I haven't got much use in my right hand.
Old 17 December 2018, 01:55 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
Lol yep, I had so many plans for my 3 weeks off and now I cant even sit and play my xbox because I haven't got much use in my right hand.
Are you left hand wiping now then?
Old 17 December 2018, 01:57 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

how did you dislocate yours? I'm dreading physio aswell, I've been trying a few small exercises but I can barely move it so it may be too soon
You shouldn't be doing anything until you have been assessed by a consultant and/or physio . There will be swelling, bruising which will need to settle down before beginning movement and rehabilitation
Old 17 December 2018, 02:08 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
You shouldn't be doing anything until you have been assessed by a consultant and/or physio . There will be swelling, bruising which will need to settle down before beginning movement and rehabilitation
Agree with this.
Old 17 December 2018, 02:14 PM
D17KDB
Scooby Regular

I'm a bricky. I slipped grabbed the scaffold and like you. My body went down and my arm stayed where it was. I'm doing minimum movement at the moment.
Again I had loads of plans. That are up in the air now.
It's the no driving that is killing me at the moment.
Old 17 December 2018, 02:19 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Are you left hand wiping now then?
Trying to yes.........my left arm seems to wander off on it's own lol.
Old 17 December 2018, 02:21 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

I'm a bricky. I slipped grabbed the scaffold and like you. My body went down and my arm stayed where it was. I'm doing minimum movement at the moment.
Again I had loads of plans. That are up in the air now.
It's the no driving that is killing me at the moment.
My 2nd car is a jeep auto so I managed to drive myself to a + e and back but that's all I've done really as I'm monged out on pain killers at the minute so driving is a no no.
Old 17 December 2018, 02:24 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

I have noticed alot of swelling today, my Mrs has taken pics of each shoulder and there is clearly a difference. The top of my pec near my armpit is really swollen.

I'm more concerned about how numb my arm/hand feels at times
Old 17 December 2018, 02:45 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

I have noticed alot of swelling today, my Mrs has taken pics of each shoulder and there is clearly a difference. The top of my pec near my armpit is really swollen.

I'm more concerned about how numb my arm/hand feels at times
Rehabilitation starts after swelling has begun to settle down. You sound like the swelling has/is causing nerve issues. This will either settle down as the swelling goes down or may take longer if you have damaged the nerves in the shoulder area . See a consultant for assessment
Old 17 December 2018, 02:51 PM
D17KDB
Scooby Regular

I do not seam to have any bruising or swelling in my shoulder or sarounding area that I can see. My dislocation came more in the way. It was sitting a good few inches in from where it's meant to be. The x-rays looked mental.
Old 17 December 2018, 03:47 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

hope you get sorted pal

I treated mine with equipoise when I smashed it last year in the gym lol!
Old 17 December 2018, 03:47 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

You get trapped nerves in there aswell bro
Old 17 December 2018, 06:22 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Wish you a speedy recovery fella sounds very painful
Old 17 December 2018, 06:36 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Russell38
Wish you a speedy recovery fella sounds very painful
thanks buddy but speedy it wont be i dont think
Old 18 December 2018, 09:30 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

No how’s your father for you sadly..
Old 18 December 2018, 09:38 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
No how’s your father for you sadly..
? ?
Old 18 December 2018, 10:49 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

I do not seam to have any bruising or swelling in my shoulder or sarounding area that I can see. My dislocation came more in the way. It was sitting a good few inches in from where it's meant to be. The x-rays looked mental.
any bruising appeared yet? i have some nasty bruising coming up around my pectoral muscle/armpit and for some strange reason all down the inside of my bicep aswell so looking and feeling like i have torn that aswell. top of my arm now looks massive with all the swelling. pain is really getting to me now.
Old 03 January 2019, 09:09 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

so its been about 3 weeks now since i had the accident, i have re-visited the fracture clinic last friday and my shoulder blade isnt getting worse so thats good......

however.........

i still have very very limited movement in my shoulder, i cant hold my arm out full length,i cant lift over-head and i cant reach behind my back. certain movements feel like it will dislocate again and is very very painful.
am i expecting too much too soon? it almost feels as though its still slightly dislocated, for example putting my hands on my hips, it should be symmetrical but i cant replicate it with my damaged arm and its not the pain thats stopping me i physically cannot get my arm into that position.

i am back in with my GP tomorrow so will see what he says
Old 03 January 2019, 09:42 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Suspect you've torn some ligaments in or around the shoulder when you did this. It will take quite a while for these to heal and the pain to subside unfortunately. Don't push yourself too far too fast. Let it heal and then possibly get some physio on it to help get movement back into it.

It's going to take months.
Old 03 January 2019, 09:45 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Suspect you've torn some ligaments in or around the shoulder when you did this. It will take quite a while for these to heal and the pain to subside unfortunately. Don't push yourself too far too fast. Let it heal and then possibly get some physio on it to help get movement back into it.

It's going to take months.
yeah your probably right mate, i hate being off work especially now i have just had a promotion. i had damaged my bicep and pectoral muscle aswell as a massive botchy bruise spread the length of my bicep and onto my chest but thats about gone now although still painful in those areas.

damn stairs.......

Old 03 January 2019, 10:06 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Have you seen a consultant, had scans, either MRI, Xray etc. After I shattered my Calcaneus, I went private, literally from leaving NHS hospital, because they didn't have an expert. I spent a few thousand quid having MRI, Xrays with 4 weekly checkups and recasts to maintain comfort. Money well spent, allowing me to recover and rehabilitate to almost full normal movement. I was predicted to only be able to walk with the aid of a stick.
Old 03 January 2019, 10:14 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Have you seen a consultant, had scans, either MRI, Xray etc. After I shattered my Calcaneus, I went private, literally from leaving NHS hospital, because they didn't have an expert. I spent a few thousand quid having MRI, Xrays with 4 weekly checkups and recasts to maintain comfort. Money well spent, allowing me to recover and rehabilitate to almost full normal movement. I was predicted to only be able to walk with the aid of a stick.
as it stands at the minute ive had a few x-rays on the day it happened in A&E then seen by numerous doctors/nurses to have my shoulder put back in (this was all done on the 16th december)

then nothing but pain killers and a sling until another x-ray on the 28th, they were 2 hours behind with appointments so after my xray i had my consultation with the doctor who literally asked if i could move my arm forward and backward (which i could and always have been able to even on the day of the accident) so i said yes and he said thats fine just continue with painkillers and start swimming/gentle exercising when possible. i think as they were so far behind he just got me in and out as quick as possible. i certainly didnt feel like i got a decent amount of info/care from him. as of know im still taking my partners painkillers as the hospital hasnt once prescribed me any.

i will see what my own gp says tomorrow
Old 03 January 2019, 11:01 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

as it stands at the minute ive had a few x-rays on the day it happened in A&E then seen by numerous doctors/nurses to have my shoulder put back in (this was all done on the 16th december)

then nothing but pain killers and a sling until another x-ray on the 28th, they were 2 hours behind with appointments so after my xray i had my consultation with the doctor who literally asked if i could move my arm forward and backward (which i could and always have been able to even on the day of the accident) so i said yes and he said thats fine just continue with painkillers and start swimming/gentle exercising when possible. i think as they were so far behind he just got me in and out as quick as possible. i certainly didnt feel like i got a decent amount of info/care from him. as of know im still taking my partners painkillers as the hospital hasnt once prescribed me any.

i will see what my own gp says tomorrow
different scans can see different issues. If youve torn ligaments-they might need surgery- who knows? If you leave it too long then repair might be hindered or unviable. Im not suggesting you go out a spend a fortune, It just seems reasonable to have a thorough diagnosis to the damage. You can see a private consultant and have a scan privately and then jump back into NHS if needs be. Get the information. Just ring up a BUPA local hospital.

I spent two days in NHS, the morning I left, I had seen by a private consultant at lunch and had a MRI and Xray by the afternoon, assessed and given a prognosis and method treatment by same consultant. Cast removed, from NHS and new position of cast reapplied
Old 03 January 2019, 12:07 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

different scans can see different issues. If youve torn ligaments-they might need surgery- who knows? If you leave it too long then repair might be hindered or unviable. Im not suggesting you go out a spend a fortune, It just seems reasonable to have a thorough diagnosis to the damage. You can see a private consultant and have a scan privately and then jump back into NHS if needs be. Get the information. Just ring up a BUPA local hospital.

I spent two days in NHS, the morning I left, I had seen by a private consultant at lunch and had a MRI and Xray by the afternoon, assessed and given a prognosis and method treatment by same consultant. Cast removed, from NHS and new position of cast reapplied
Totally agree. Realistically they can't tell anything from an X-ray. X-ray will not show up ligament damage at all, CT scan may not show either but MRI should. In most cases. Even when I had my knee done last year the scans all looked fine until they opened me up to reveal a partial ACL tear that wasn't shown in any of the scans.

If possible it's worth going private to get this looked at asap. As Andy said above, you really don't want this to heal in a bad way that will restrict your movement forever.

Quick Reply: Dislocated shoulder