Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Grenfell Bonfire

Old 06 November 2018, 12:07 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Grenfell Bonfire

Found this quite sickening to be honest.

Old 06 November 2018, 12:20 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

disgusting

wonder if if they did that with the twin towers when they fell ehhh sick b4sturds
Old 06 November 2018, 01:57 PM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe don't share it then? Sharing/viewing it just gives them more satisfaction that they are 'famous'. As if the 10 O'Clock News wasn't famous enough.
Old 06 November 2018, 02:03 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
disgusting

wonder if if they did that with the twin towers when they fell ehhh sick b4sturds
Good point.
Old 06 November 2018, 02:05 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boggissimo
Maybe don't share it then? Sharing/viewing it just gives them more satisfaction that they are 'famous'. As if the 10 O'Clock News wasn't famous enough.
You could say that about many posts on here. This is what this section of the forum is for, non scooby related.
Old 06 November 2018, 02:17 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Twin Towers jokes like this ?
Old 06 November 2018, 02:30 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig

Twin Towers jokes like this ?
fackin jokers pal
prat’s like this need CRUCIFYING with barb wire rusty nails and a sledgehammer end of....

only my opinion and how I would deal with them...
Old 06 November 2018, 07:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Set fire their shed

that would be funny !
Old 06 November 2018, 07:23 PM
hackisfun
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 people have been arrested in connection with this incident for "hate crimes"
Old 06 November 2018, 08:23 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Stuff like this happens every July in Northern Ireland.
Old 06 November 2018, 09:20 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Whilst it is distasteful, should it be illegal?
Old 06 November 2018, 11:19 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Whilst it is distasteful, should it be illegal?
Any arrest or charges will be for posting it publicly on the interweb with the intent of causing upset, distress, etc. If you want to burn cardboard effigies of bunny rabbits, girl-scouts and Her Majesty the Queen in the privacy of your own garden, you're perfectly entitled to do that, so long as that's where it stays.
Old 06 November 2018, 11:23 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Utter c*nts to make a joke out of such a disaster and the horrific deaths of those caught inside. I'm hoping the press name and shame them.
Old 07 November 2018, 12:36 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I’m sorry, yes this is offensive, inappropriate, bad taste, satire gone too far (re:’victimfell’ ).

BUT

Hate crime? police involvement? The media flying Drones over their house?

FFS

When five kids got stabbed in the same week in the same city, what is more important? Some inbred pissed up cockneys pratting around in their private garden, or organised crime, gang culture and the grooming of teenagers to do the dirty work of their peers? Where do want you police resources focussed on, prosecuting a bunch of prats or chasing down gang leaders and murderers?

To me this stinks of a slow news day...Nothing new about Brexit, Trump/midterms are still pending, and nobody got killed/injured from faulty fireworks or shoddy displays.

This was a headline grabber...it will be totally forgotten this time next month. I feel we are fast heading into a world where we get offended for sake of being offended; Whilst yes this is offensive, it’s down to you to choose if you want to be offended...I’ve heard worse conversations from builders and Stuart Lee comes close on some occasions too...has he been arrested for public order offences?

Perspective:

Discuss..,

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 November 2018 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Meh!
Old 07 November 2018, 09:14 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whilst the Grenfell Tower effigy was very bad taste, I still don't understand what crime has been committed ? How is it any different to this : thousands-gather-to-watch-theresa-may-and-boris-effigies-burn-on-lewes-bonfire . Don't see anyone kicking up a fuss about the latter.
Old 07 November 2018, 09:23 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Is it the same as ridiculing a particular controversial public figure though ?
Old 07 November 2018, 09:29 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
No it's not and that is the point here. They have ridiculed the horrendous deaths of 72 people which isn't just offensive but utterly abhorrent.
Old 07 November 2018, 09:42 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Yet we deem it acceptable to burn effigies of some Catholics every year, people who were rebelling against extreme religious persecution, and who endured the most terrible deaths.

Time, it would seem, is how we determine what is acceptable, not the tragedy of what actually transpired.

I think they were foolish to do it, but it does seem a bit of a waste of resources to see this through.
Old 07 November 2018, 09:58 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Yet we deem it acceptable to burn effigies of some Catholics every year, people who were rebelling against extreme religious persecution, and who endured the most terrible deaths.

Time, it would seem, is how we determine what is acceptable, not the tragedy of what actually transpired.

I think they were foolish to do it, but it does seem a bit of a waste of resources to see this through.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...KAHN6g&ampcf=1

not quoting you to start an argument between sides , just purely that this is more recent people that have died and their names put on a bonfire. Very specific targeting (as in not burning a tricolour or Union Jack and the usual generic stuff)
Don't think its the passing of time thats the difference , just the fact its Norn Iron and it "just happens".

Last edited by CharlySkunkWeed; 07 November 2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07 November 2018, 10:56 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
No it's not and that is the point here. They have ridiculed the horrendous deaths of 72 people which isn't just offensive but utterly abhorrent.
It's interesting that you both use the word ridicule to describe the two - and that's sort of reinforcing the point I'm trying to make. Both are nothing more than acts of ridicule, it's just that one is perceived by many to be more offensive and tasteless than the other; but that judgement is purely based on personal opinion, not the law. Where is the crime ?

Old 07 November 2018, 11:59 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree - whilst it was utterly bad taste of the highest order, I do think it has been jumped on by the whole Grenfell media frenzy in desperate attempt to make it way more than it is.
But Hate crime? Prison time?
The biggest mistake was some muppet posting it online.
Old 07 November 2018, 12:29 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Clearly the replies show i'm in the minority in finding how abhorrent it is that the deaths of 72 people can be laughed at and to go to such lengths in making a detailed model of the disaster. I think it's more than just bad taste FFS. These people are sick in the head to do what they did, forget prison/police they need locking up in a mental institute. For anyone to find it funny they are deranged plain and simple.
Old 07 November 2018, 01:20 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Clearly the replies show i'm in the minority in finding how abhorrent it is that the deaths of 72 people can be laughed at and to go to such lengths in making a detailed model of the disaster. I think it's more than just bad taste FFS. These people are sick in the head to do what they did, forget prison/police they need locking up in a mental institute. For anyone to find it funny they are deranged plain and simple.
I'm with you, its totally disgusting and really shows a dark side to British culture at the moment which is truly shameful!

Sadly, what they have done doesn't appear to breaking any laws. Posting on the internet may get them, but there would have to be proof of intent to offend. My guess is it will be difficult to prove such an offence and if so, then only the person who posted the video, not all those who attended/contributed.

Given their address will be well known now within the community, one can only hope an appropriate level of social justice will be dispatched!
Old 07 November 2018, 01:20 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Sickening yes,

Illegal ? surely not,

Can't make everything that's morally wrong illegal,

Posting it online however is where the line is crossed imo.
Old 07 November 2018, 03:11 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

No, I don't think you're in the minority at all. I think we all agree their actions were abhorrent but what is being questioned is the actual criminality of their moronic actions and why valuable police resources are being wasted on them.
Old 07 November 2018, 03:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

They didnt have to fork out much to find them !
Old 07 November 2018, 05:01 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Blackadder Goes Forth to bring some context.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" (which is often misattributed to Voltaire himself) as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs. Hall's quotation is often cited to describe the principle of freedom of speech.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 07 November 2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07 November 2018, 06:07 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" (which is often misattributed to Voltaire himself) as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs. Hall's quotation is often cited to describe the principle of freedom of speech.
Are you sure that's a Blackadder quote. I'm Bladder nerd and I can't recall that line at all. That said I'm getting old and forgetful.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall made the original quote I believe
Old 07 November 2018, 08:07 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

Whether they have the right to say it I’m not disputing but for even thinking it was funny means they are a bit special in the head and need a visit from the men in white coats.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...cases-naturism

They could be done for outraging public decency or causing a public nuisance due to the wide interpretation of those charges as morality is covered. Personally I don’t see any value in that and what would be more damaging is the press outing those responsible and naming and shaming them.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 07 November 2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07 November 2018, 09:33 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Are you sure that's a Blackadder quote. I'm Bladder nerd and I can't recall that line at all. That said I'm getting old and forgetful.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall made the original quote I believe
Sorry I should have put a break in the text. I quote Bladder as a reference to jesting about horrible acts of human death.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grenfell Bonfire