Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who do you use to send car parts? Not Royal Mail or Parcelforce

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2018, 06:14 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who do you use to send car parts? Not Royal Mail or Parcelforce

Got to send a backbox, but getting some extortionate quotes. Used Royal Mail in the past, until a few years ago some damage was done to some Sti lights I sent. They then told me they don't insure car parts...despite me breaking my type r, and sending everything through them! Quick enough to take all the money for sending bits they don't insure!
Old 29 October 2018, 06:17 PM
hackisfun
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not personally used them but had previously heard good things about Paisley freight

https://www.paisleyfreight.com/car-parts-courier
Old 29 October 2018, 06:27 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

i used these earlier this year to send a backbox to a member on here, i think it was around £20 odd insured

https://www.ipostparcels.com/?gclid=...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 29 October 2018, 11:47 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hackisfun
not personally used them but had previously heard good things about Paisley freight

https://www.paisleyfreight.com/car-parts-courier
Sizes for the exhaust seem odd, width can't be more than 30cm? I'm pretty sure it was 45cm earlier, must be all the bubble wrap!
Old 29 October 2018, 11:54 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
i used these earlier this year to send a backbox to a member on here, i think it was around £20 odd insured

https://www.ipostparcels.com/?gclid=...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
That exhaust was extremely well packaged tho Shreksta ☺
Old 31 October 2018, 02:35 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Just use hermes. I laugh at people who cue up for ages in the post office wasting there day paying over the odds. You can send a small parcel tracked by hermes for £2.79 under 2kg. Insured upto £25 you can increase insurance.

Bargain. If you want it collected from your house £3.15. People will slate them, but I've never had a problem. One item got lost had money for it within 2 weeks. No hassle.
Old 31 October 2018, 09:05 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Just use hermes. I laugh at people who cue up for ages in the post office wasting there day paying over the odds.
And i laugh at people who use the likes of My Hermes, if you don't mind this sort of thing then fair enough

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...guttering.html

Old 01 November 2018, 09:04 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

lol amazing. To be fair I don't think hermes recruitment is as good as other companies in some areas. But how many stories have you heard around Royal Mail drivers steeling Mail. I've had a problem with every courier going.

The thing is you can't judge a courier company by a driver. Its how they deal with customers and problems I've put a thread on here about how UPS a big company tried to rip me off claiming a parcel I sent was bigger than I'd put down.

Luckily I managed to get photos of the package on to prove them wrong.

Bought some audio equipment from abroad using DHL years ago when knew nothing about import duty etc. Bought multiple items over a few months and then over 6 months later started getting import duty bills from DHL for another 6 months. So a year after still paying import duty, then a few bills they claimed I had not paid so spent ages finding old payments. Crazy.

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
And i laugh at people who use the likes of My Hermes, if you don't mind this sort of thing then fair enough

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...guttering.html

Old 01 November 2018, 09:38 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

I had a parcel stolen by a Hermes driver, i dropped the parcel off at our local pick up point which is a BP garage and that was the last that anyone saw of the parcel. Hermes were a joke to deal with, it was long winded and caused me even more inconvenience. After a long and i mean long process they tracked it as being collected from the BP garage but that was the last time it was ever seen on their system, i know the people at the BP garage as i go their quite a bit for fuel and a few other things, they told me it was a foreign agency driver that did the collection from them that day, it basically never arrived back at their depot, it was a fairly expensive item. I know a fair bit about the parcel and letter industry as i've been in it for most of my life, i know a lot more about Royal Mail than you probably think. Their are only 2 companies that i would trust to deliver anything, especially an item of any value, Royal Mail and DPD.

Hermes business structure to employ mostly agency workers isn't a great foundation to build a business on, they have a high turn over of staff which isn't surprising given what i know and i've seen. You might get away with it quite a few times by sending parcels via a cheaper option, eventually you'll come unstuck as it's just law of averages with these type of operations. No business is perfect but it's how you get dealt with if something did go wrong, you should try getting through to a speaking voice at Hermes if something did go wrong, when i had to deal with them it was all via an automated email or message system from memory, i did get through once i think which was by shear luck and the person at the other end was foreign and about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Generally in life get what you pay for, the same way you can get cheaper no frills flights and some of those cheaper flight companies have been hitting the headlines recently for poor customer service and a generally poor overall experience, things are cheap for a reason, if i had something valuable to send and i wanted it to arrive with care i certainly wouldn't be going down the cheaper option, like i said you might get away with it a few times but eventually you'll get caught out in my experience, would you send a brand new iphone or android phone costing close to £1k with Hermes or another cheap courier firm ? You wouldn't, you wouldn't send a fragile or high value car part with them either if you've got any sense, their will be some decent cheaper courier firms out there but generally your better playing safe with expensive items.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 01 November 2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01 November 2018, 10:13 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

If your talking small expensive item then no I wouldn't use hermes. It's Royal Mail special delivery insured to £500 as standard. Sent ecu off my other car that way. As if it got lost couldn't use the car.

But cheaper small parcel items hermes every day. Found there customer service really good. I don't expect much for £2.79 tracked. Tried to claim off Royal once and was a right long winded claim. Said they wanted receipt even though I had a tracking number. Hermes just sent money to my account within a week. No hassle easy to claim.
Old 01 November 2018, 10:15 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I've used paisley frieght and DPD . both absolutely fine
Old 01 November 2018, 10:34 AM
AT@JDM
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Used Hermes loads send number of parcels only had a few small issues. Hermes bulky parcel service is a different kettle of fish. Guy came in unmarked van didn't say what courier he was, took a parcel for DHL. Never saw it again. Although Hermes gave a full refund asap. Also use Royal Mail DHL, don't use fedex and UPS. DPD are also very good courier.