Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool Subaru Forester crash on M40

The driver and a passenger in the Subaru Forester, both in their 80s

https://news.sky.com/story/m40-crash...-lane-11527193
Old 16 October 2018, 03:29 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

My worst fear when driving is coming across an idiot driving the wrong way on the motorway!
I've never understood how anyone can get it wrong? Motorway junctions are pretty f-ing obvious!
I'd like to blame the phenomenon on old people and use it for grounds for OAPs to be regularly tested and encouraged to hang up their keys, but sadly there seems to be idiots of all ages get this wrong. Its about time they also included motorway training as part of the required driver education in the UK.
Old 16 October 2018, 03:42 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by BMWhere?

My worst fear when driving is coming across an idiot driving the wrong way on the motorway!
I've never understood how anyone can get it wrong? Motorway junctions are pretty f-ing obvious!
I'd like to blame the phenomenon on old people and use it for grounds for OAPs to be regularly tested and encouraged to hang up their keys, but sadly there seems to be idiots of all ages get this wrong. Its about time they also included motorway training as part of the required driver education in the UK.
we get ********* here aswell mate, there was one on the A8 a couple of months ago. My navi alerted me to it by flashing it up on the screen
Old 16 October 2018, 04:06 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurzel
we get ********* here aswell mate, there was one on the A8 a couple of months ago. My navi alerted me to it by flashing it up on the screen
I know, they're everywhere! Austria used to be really bad, they improved all the motorway junction signs a few years ago with big stop hands for the wrong way which has helped a lot, yet there are still idiots of all ages that manage to go the wrong way! How do these f-ktards ever get a driving license!
Old 16 October 2018, 04:06 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?

I believe they do now.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:24 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Struggling to see the funny side here. Three people are dead, very likely suffering horrific injuries in the process. What's with the smiley?
Old 16 October 2018, 07:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

At what point do you reckon he got an inkling he'd made a mistake

Old 16 October 2018, 08:17 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Rumour has it it had foreign plates.
but still from the clip I’ve seen they were going some.
surely no matter what age you can tell the traffic is flowing wrong.
Old 17 October 2018, 08:50 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Death by Subaru
Old 17 October 2018, 10:07 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by markjmd
Struggling to see the funny side here. Three people are dead, very likely suffering horrific injuries in the process. What's with the smiley?
Hmm so that is the only thing that concerns you about this story then?

If you check my posts you will see I use this smiley in atleast 9000 of my last 9200ish posts.
Old 17 October 2018, 01:37 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

If you check my posts you will see I use this smiley in atleast 9000 of my last 9200ish posts.
If you're asking me what else comes to mind when reading that story, I suppose it would have to be the pathos of an unintentionally suicidal driver meeting his tragic demise at the wheel of an unintentionally suicidal marque of cars.

Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it all
Old 17 October 2018, 05:53 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

That may be the case -- but in this instance it is inappropriate :: 3 dead doesn't need smilies

Old 18 October 2018, 02:25 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

First of all you feel for those that have lost their lives in this accident, especially the innocent person that got hit by the caravan and car.

I spend a lot of time on the motorways with my job, I just don't get how anyone can end up going the wrong way down a motorway, if you tried to go down the entry slip road the wrong way it would look wrong for a start as they are shaped against you. Secondly once your going down the slip road you would clearly see the traffic is coming towards you at a fast rate of knots, even if you got tol the bottom of the slip road and the motorway itself you only need half a brain cell to work out that you've gone the wrong way.

What an earth would then process anyone to try to get on the motorway going in the wrong direction against the traffic ?

Apparently the driver of the caravan was in his 80's, I've always said that people should be re-tested for a car licence at 55 or 60 as too many pensioners are dangerous, not only to themselves but to their passengers and other road users. They may have originally passed their test in their teens or twenties, they are not the same standard of driver 40 years or so later and their reactions, brain and fitness isn't the same either.

Also people shouldn't be allowed to buy a caravan without going on a course learning how to drive one, they should include the price of a course in the price of the caravan, and only when they've passed a course to show they are competent can they collect the caravan.

Just my thoughts, rant over.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 18 October 2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 18 October 2018, 02:41 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
First of all you feel for those that have lost their lives in this accident, especially the innocent person that got hit by the caravan and car.

I spend a lot of time on the motorways with my job, I just don't get how anyone can end up going the wrong way down a motorway, if you tried to go down the entry slip road the wrong way it would look wrong for a start as they are shaped against you. Secondly once your going down the slip road you would clearly see the traffic is coming towards you at a fast rate of knots, even if you got tol the bottom of the slip road and the motorway itself you only need half a brain cell to work out that you've gone the wrong way.

What an earth would then process anyone to try to get on the motorway going in the wrong direction against the traffic ?

Apparently the driver of the caravan was in his 80's, I've always said that people should be re-tested for a car licence at 55 or 60 as too many pensioners are dangerous, not only to themselves but to their passengers and other road users. They may have originally passed their test in their teens or twenties, they are not the same standard of driver 40 years or so later and their reactions, brain and fitness isn't the same either.

Also people shouldn't be allowed to buy a caravan without going on a course learning how to drive one, they should include the price of a course in the price of the caravan, and only when they've passed a course to show they are competent can they collect the caravan.

Just my thoughts, rant over.
f##k me, I need to book a test soon then.
Old 19 October 2018, 11:23 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I bet you any money they had stopped at Oxford Services on the M40 - these services are not either side of the motorway as they commonly are in the UK - you have to cross several islands to get back onto the motorway depending on the way you are going, and it can be confusing - especially if you don't fully understand the signage for motorways - you would not believe the amount of people who do not understand even basic north, south, east, west on road signs - they can't picture in their mind what direction they are travelling in.
I bet he he didn't cross across the islands - and just saw one entrance on the first island, thought that wasn't his entrance, carried on around the island and went down the next entry - wrong way down the motorway...
I've seen people reversing back up these slip roads because they've got on going the wrong direction at these Services - not going against the flow - just not realised the general direction they are heading is wrong!

I'm willing to put money on this is what happened. They really need to make the signage much clearer at these Services.
Tragic case all round
Old 19 October 2018, 08:18 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
I bet you any money they had stopped at Oxford Services on the M40 - these services are not either side of the motorway as they commonly are in the UK - you have to cross several islands to get back onto the motorway depending on the way you are going, and it can be confusing - especially if you don't fully understand the signage for motorways - you would not believe the amount of people who do not understand even basic north, south, east, west on road signs - they can't picture in their mind what direction they are travelling in.
I bet he he didn't cross across the islands - and just saw one entrance on the first island, thought that wasn't his entrance, carried on around the island and went down the next entry - wrong way down the motorway...
I've seen people reversing back up these slip roads because they've got on going the wrong direction at these Services - not going against the flow - just not realised the general direction they are heading is wrong!

I'm willing to put money on this is what happened. They really need to make the signage much clearer at these Services.
Tragic case all round

this was the exact thing people people were saying on the radio this morning.
saying they have seen endless people do it.
it was not a foreign car, they had driven for 7 yes 7 miles the wrong way and had previously had an accident the week before.
Old 19 October 2018, 08:59 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markjmd
when the BBC first reported this on their website there was no mention of any casualties let alone fatalities, in fact the news story had in car footage of the Subaru and caravan heading into traffic, presumably filmed by someone who had a near miss. In fact the original BBC news story was written in a 'stupid driver' tone - but the video soon disappeared and the news story took on a very different tone.

we had to steal my fathers car from him when his driving became so bad (82 & dementia) as there's no way of stopping him driving - doctor told him to stop driving, dvla and police wouldn't get involved. Serious gap in the law here.