Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

One night in an hotel in the UK: over £100?

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2018, 09:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default One night in an hotel in the UK: over £100?

WHY?
And that's with no breakfast.

Whereas in France I can find both for around €60
Old 25 August 2018, 09:25 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Cool story Bro . . . . .
Old 25 August 2018, 09:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Higher price accomodation generally here

Also , continental breakfast doesnt involve staff
Old 25 August 2018, 09:42 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Cool story Bro . . . . .
Old 25 August 2018, 09:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Trivago?

Anyhoo, bank holiday at peak season what did you expect?

Wait 'til you find out what they charge to park the f**king car, or bring a dog!

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 August 2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 25 August 2018, 10:44 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

LateRooms.com ?
Old 26 August 2018, 10:28 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

It's not for this weekend, it was for next.
Old 26 August 2018, 10:49 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Where
Old 26 August 2018, 10:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Many people book weeks off as part of bank holiday weeks ( use up less holiday entitlement that way as some employers treat bank holidays separate to statutory holiday entitlement).

Combine that with everyone else on the same bandwagon = Supply and Demand.

Same goes for hotels near a Premiership football team that is playing on that weekend.

Premier Inns and Travel lodges blatantly do this...a £40 room suddenly becomes £150 without breakfast! As I found out when I was dragged to a wedding in Swansea on a bank holiday week. Most expensive ****ehole I ever stopped in. Considering I've stopped in 4/5 star luxury UK hotels for less than half that with breakfast

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 August 2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 26 August 2018, 12:09 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

This is nothing new, and I can't see it ever changing. Might be worth giving AirBnB a try, although options might be limited if wheelchair access is needed.
Old 26 August 2018, 05:23 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Bed and breakfast is always better value; cheaper, proper breakfast and cleaner, if you pick well.
Old 26 August 2018, 06:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

It was going to be near telford, for the exhibition centre.

Not happening now.
Old 26 August 2018, 07:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

https://www.trivago.co.uk/?aDateRang...Sitemap=false&
Old 26 August 2018, 07:34 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

What’s wrong with paying £100 a night. Most good hotels are over that and if it’s in an excellent location then £100 is cheap.
Old 26 August 2018, 08:26 PM
sparrowdclxvi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markjmd
Might be worth giving AirBnB a try
Just don't. We booked a weekend in London a couple of months ahead of time, along with other paid for outings, so we couldn't just cancel.
Fekkers cancelled the minimum 7 days before, leaving us with nowhere to stay.

A friend had the same, they lost their entire summer holiday when their host cancelled at the last possible minute.

Not worth the aggro.
Old 26 August 2018, 08:41 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
It was going to be near telford, for the exhibition centre.

Not happening now.
we stayed at the Exhibition center hotel, it was ****e! There is nothing there except the shopping center nearby. One of the most soulless nights of my life.( I'd confused the engineer Telford with the new town)
Lucky escape, saved dosh back in pocket.
Old 26 August 2018, 08:51 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don’t see the problem with over £100 a night. What do you expect. Think about what the owner pays for the property in rent, taxes etc, staff wages and everything else on top. Unless you want to stay in an absolute hole of a place I would say that was reasonable
Old 26 August 2018, 11:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
we stayed at the Exhibition center hotel, it was ****e! There is nothing there except the shopping center nearby. One of the most soulless nights of my life.( I'd confused the engineer Telford with the new town)
Lucky escape, saved dosh back in pocket.

Yeah the place is a pretty anonymous hole, was a social housing dumping ground when it was first constructed to offload from Birmingham and Wolverhampton conurbations, hence the issues with drugs and child sex gangs. You don't really want to go out your way to stop or dine there unless you had no choice. I'd rather pay the £80 taxi fare back home LOL.

Best bet round there is somewhere outside of the town in one of the many surrounding villages. Converted pubs and manor houses are a plenty.

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 August 2018 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Taxi quote LOL
Old 26 August 2018, 11:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by johnlogie
Don’t see the problem with over £100 a night. What do you expect. Think about what the owner pays for the property in rent, taxes etc, staff wages and everything else on top. Unless you want to stay in an absolute hole of a place I would say that was reasonable

You can get 4star accommodation for as little as £60 if you pick the dates right. Last deal I had was Ashford international in Kent, which I stopped over at to catch a early crossing over to Calais. You can double that to stop there now.
Old 27 August 2018, 09:16 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

All those doing the usual "acceptance" thing, "What's wrong with £100 per night?", are just avoiding two points:

WHY can I get the same WITH BREAKFAST for €60 per night in France, which is more expensive than the UK, and,
WHY are you accepting high prices instead of complaining? YOU are part of the problem!

Typical UK: and then we wonder why so many folk in this country RIP US OFF.
Old 27 August 2018, 09:35 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell - Just ignore all the posters lol

Heres another one .

The pound is weak , because of you know what

So hotels are cashing in on passing foreigners
Old 27 August 2018, 09:37 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Its probably because of some EU regulation than only affects the UK! Everything will be better when we leave the EU next year
Old 27 August 2018, 10:06 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
All those doing the usual "acceptance" thing, "What's wrong with £100 per night?", are just avoiding two points:

WHY can I get the same WITH BREAKFAST for €60 per night in France, which is more expensive than the UK, and,
WHY are you accepting high prices instead of complaining? YOU are part of the problem!

Typical UK: and then we wonder why so many folk in this country RIP US OFF.
Seriously, what planet are you on? Accomodation in France is generally far cheaper than in the UK, full stop. As a second-home owner over there it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume you'd be more than averagely aware of the fact!
Old 27 August 2018, 10:54 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Seriously, what planet are you on? Accomodation in France is generally far cheaper than in the UK, full stop. As a second-home owner over there it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume you'd be more than averagely aware of the fact!
That has little to do with it. House prices in Germany are way more expensive than the UK, as are wage costs, but you can still easily find a hotel in Germany for €60 a night with breakfast, never mind £60. The difference in the UK is (other than in a handful of seaside resorts or London) there are very few independently run hotels around, the hotel market is overrun with hotel chains such as Premiere Inn who control the market and inflate prices - its very typical of corporate Britain where the tax system favours larger corporations over small independent businesses. In most of Europe, there are many more independent hotels with no shareholders to pay dividends to, so they can operate at much lower costs. The tax systems often encourage small businesses over corporations, so small hoteliers can easily survive with low prices.
Old 27 August 2018, 11:08 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
That has little to do with it. House prices in Germany are way more expensive than the UK, as are wage costs, but you can still easily find a hotel in Germany for €60 a night with breakfast, never mind £60. The difference in the UK is (other than in a handful of seaside resorts or London) there are very few independently run hotels around, the hotel market is overrun with hotel chains such as Premiere Inn who control the market and inflate prices - its very typical of corporate Britain where the tax system favours larger corporations over small independent businesses. In most of Europe, there are many more independent hotels with no shareholders to pay dividends to, so they can operate at much lower costs. The tax systems often encourage small businesses over corporations, so small hoteliers can easily survive with low prices.
I can only assume this is heavily dependent on which part of Germany you're talking about, and which part of the UK. Otherwise I would beg to differ very much, and I base that not only on my own knowledge of the housing markets in both places, but also on the endless whinging I was subjected to from several expat Germans in the office, who were appalled at how much less house they could buy for the money here in SE England than they could back home.

With regards to hotels, even if you were right about the relative lack of independents here in the UK, it stands to reason that the over-inflated price of property here must play a major part in this too.
Old 27 August 2018, 11:18 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Well i heard the tax system / social contributions in france were pretty punitive , once a business employs more than couple people
An eating place we stopped at on canal lateral de loire would only take cash or CHEQUE ! ...... , local shop ( only one ) was actually closed for 2 weeks on hols , no fill in staff . Post office similar

DO as we say not do as we do .

got love em
Old 27 August 2018, 11:26 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Logis seems to have cleaned up since we were in France last time , buying up various places

Ill bet theyre owned by shareholders
Old 27 August 2018, 11:34 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Also read article in which town councils were up in arms at the proliferation airbnb

since it took business away from local ( probably 1/2 shareholder owned ) hoteliers
Old 27 August 2018, 12:26 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

I can only assume this is heavily dependent on which part of Germany you're talking about, and which part of the UK. Otherwise I would beg to differ very much, and I base that not only on my own knowledge of the housing markets in both places, but also on the endless whinging I was subjected to from several expat Germans in the office, who were appalled at how much less house they could buy for the money here in SE England than they could back home.

With regards to hotels, even if you were right about the relative lack of independents here in the UK, it stands to reason that the over-inflated price of property here must play a major part in this too.
Well, I live in one of the most expensive areas in Germany, both property and wages wise, yet there is still an abundance of independent hotels with <=€60 night, including breakfast, free parking and free wlan! The property value only has an impact if there is outstanding debt on the property. Many hotels have been hotels for generations and there is no outstanding debt, so the property value is often irrelevant.
Old 27 August 2018, 12:30 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

It's supply and demand factored up to whatever the local market will bear.
On some Central London hotels the net profit margins (rental income minus costs) are running at around 40%.

Quick Reply: One night in an hotel in the UK: over £100?