Dyson Cordless vacuum

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2018, 08:23 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyson Cordless vacuum

Guys

I need a new vacuum cleaner, and cordless appeals to me, and going on reviews, the Dyson models seem to get top marks
Do anyone of you own the V8 or V10 range of cordless vacuum cleaners?

My biggest concern is battery life, now I will rarely be using it myself, but could it be used to hoover a full 3 bedroom house which will always be in a reasonably clean state to begin with, cat hair being the exception.
Reviews are mixed on this, most seem to say it can do a full clean, but there a some who disagree.
Old 13 August 2018, 01:36 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The Vacuum itself is good.... we have the v6 Animal (its purple) - but its been superceded now I believe - had ours about 2 yrs.
I love it, just for the sheer convenience, it takes seconds to pick & use, and replace. Wife has mixed feelings about it, she hated it to begin with, but considering our old DC1 upright bad boy hasn't been out of the cupboard now for well over a year I guess she's come to terms with the handiness!

It has 2 modes:
Normal - battery lasts approx 15-20mins - sucks OK, especially on hard floors
MAX - this batters the battery, but probably doubles the suction - its great on this mode - but be quick.... battery - i'd say 7-8 mins max!

The collection bin is a bit small - so you have to empty it pretty much every time, and if you let it fill up solid its a bit of a mare to clean out, but it all comes apart in seconds.
The motorised rotating head is also good, but you have to keep it clean & free of long car/cotton etc, but again it all comes apart in seconds to clean.
You have to wash the filter occasionally, but this makes a big difference in performance, and the new filters aren't cheap (about £12)
You need to find a good location for the charging station, which it hangs on, and keeps the tools clicked in place - you need a 240v socket close by. (ours is under the stairs just inside the doorway for ease of access)

Considering we had the original Dyson, the DC1, for about 20yrs and was almost fully rebuilt (as you can get everything for those, and it became a bit of standing joke with my wife who wanted a new one, but I kept fixing the old one! hahaha) and I used to have to take that apart and clean it every now & then, I would say its been a very good replacement.

The sheer convenience, size & lightness is a winner for me. We have never broken anything on it although some people say they look flimsy,

Think I heard that Dyson are no longer making corded vacuums any more - so they must be convinced too!
Old 13 August 2018, 02:02 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

We have the Dyson v8 absolute I think it's called, it's great. Max power rapes the battery but only really need to use that on stubborn pet hairs. It comes with heads for hard and soft floors.

it can clog up as previously mentioned but it's a doddle to clean out. We have it hanging up in our cupboard/shoe room so it's never in the way. I believe we got 2 years warranty aswell from Dyson.
Old 13 August 2018, 02:04 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Have a look at the Bosch cordless standup vacuums. They use exchangeable battery packs that are also compatible with many of their home/garden power tools.
Old 13 August 2018, 02:21 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
We have the Dyson v8 absolute I think it's called, it's great. Max power rapes the battery but only really need to use that on stubborn pet hairs. It comes with heads for hard and soft floors.

it can clog up as previously mentioned but it's a doddle to clean out. We have it hanging up in our cupboard/shoe room so it's never in the way. I believe we got 2 years warranty aswell from Dyson.
Cheers
Yeah, its a 2 year warranty.

Old 13 August 2018, 03:05 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by urban
Cheers
Yeah, its a 2 year warranty.
Everything has to have a 2 year warranty under EU law. Companies often use the lack of knowledge about EU warranty rules as an extra selling point, like they are offering you more warranty than they need to, but they are non (unless they are offering more than 2 years!). Even if its not stated that you have 2 years warranty, you still have it (for now!), whatever you buy!
Old 13 August 2018, 03:52 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Really, two years warranty on whatever you purchase?
Old 13 August 2018, 04:15 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Really, two years warranty on whatever you purchase?
Yes, really!

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm
Old 13 August 2018, 05:41 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Is a cordless really as powerful as a mains fed upright?

i have a dc50 ( I think) and it’s the last upright dyson did.
IMO the best upright that is aimed at dog owners. It’s awesome and the thought of having a battery powered. Handheld doesn’t feel right.

what about battery life too?
Old 13 August 2018, 05:49 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK

IMO the best upright that is aimed at dog owners. It’s awesome and the thought of having a battery powered. Handheld doesn’t feel right.

Dyson claim their cordless are just as good as main powered. In fact they say they've stopped development of mains power vacuums.
The new machines say they have 60 minute running time.
Old 13 August 2018, 06:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Doesn’t Henry do a cordless version and they will be better than dyson
Old 13 August 2018, 06:25 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

battery life is fine, we can do our 3 bed detached on a single charge with a few short blasts on max power where our 3 cats have been sleeping, certainly beats dragging the wire and plug around all the time. i wouldnt go back to an upright ever again.

the canister could be bigger, in fact i think they have just released the v10 version which has a larger canister but its not much of an issue.

every month or so we pull out the filter from the top and wash it out/let it dry and put it back in..........no issues at all so far.

Old 13 August 2018, 06:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Got a V8. It's good for what it is; A glorified dust buster. To be fair it blows any dust buster out the water, but even so it's not perfect.

Biggest con is battery life, as mentioned using it on MAX will suck it pretty quick, especially if using the floor attachment (motorised brush bar also consumes battery). 10mins tops.

'Normal' mode suction is barely adequate, does the job. But you know it sucks more crap out the carpet on MAX. Same with cleaning the car. So really, unless using it on MAX all the time, it's really more suited for light cleaning, keeping the main vacuum for the 'deep clean'.

Charger is S L O W. This is my main gripe, I have Li-ion power tools (Makita etc.) with 4000mAh batteries and these charge in 30mins from flat...yet the Dyson V8 takes hours and hours (3.5hours), bear in mind it's only 2800mAh, so why is it so slow when most decent power tools with much bigger batteries can fast charge?

Other gripe is the floor tool is too narrow for whole-house cleaning...it needs to be bigger so you can get more area done in one pass (and therefore use less battery ).

As a glorified dust-buster it's superb, it's great for getting the fluff off the hard floors which appears so quick. In between spruce-ups, clearing spills/messes, stairs, car etc. But it's not really a replacement for the main vacuum (DC14), that has more suction and does more area in one go, so it's quicker (albeit less convenient with lugging it about).

Oh yes, almost forgot...you need to empty it after every use....otherwise if you place it on the wall mount/charger the dirt falls back out the suction hole...dust busters had a little one-way flap....the V8 very much needs one too!

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 August 2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 13 August 2018, 06:47 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

one gripe i do have is the price of a spare battery, around £60-£70 i think. we were going to get one as a back up but i refuse to pay that much, we have been looking on ebay for 2nd hand ones but all there is are the cheap brand ones which will probably burn our house down when on charge.
Old 13 August 2018, 06:57 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Doesn’t Henry do a cordless version and they will be better than dyson
yeah. But it's a big bulky lump of a thing
Old 13 August 2018, 07:31 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Got a V8. It's good for what it is; A glorified dust buster. To be fair it blows any dust buster out the water, but even so it's not perfect.

Biggest con is battery life, as mentioned using it on MAX will suck it pretty quick, especially if using the floor attachment (motorised brush bar also consumes battery). 10mins tops.

'Normal' mode suction is barely adequate, does the job. But you know it sucks more crap out the carpet on MAX. Same with cleaning the car. So really, unless using it on MAX all the time, it's really more suited for light cleaning, keeping the main vacuum for the 'deep clean'.

Charger is S L O W. This is my main gripe, I have Li-ion power tools (Makita etc.) with 4000mAh batteries and these charge in 30mins from flat...yet the Dyson V8 takes hours and hours (3.5hours), bear in mind it's only 2800mAh, so why is it so slow when most decent power tools with much bigger batteries can fast charge?

Other gripe is the floor tool is too narrow for whole-house cleaning...it needs to be bigger so you can get more area done in one pass (and therefore use less battery ).

As a glorified dust-buster it's superb, it's great for getting the fluff off the hard floors which appears so quick. In between spruce-ups, clearing spills/messes, stairs, car etc. But it's not really a replacement for the main vacuum (DC14), that has more suction and does more area in one go, so it's quicker (albeit less convenient with lugging it about).

Oh yes, almost forgot...you need to empty it after every use....otherwise if you place it on the wall mount/charger the dirt falls back out the suction hole...dust busters had a little one-way flap....the V8 very much needs one too!

this is the exact reason I’m glad I didn’t buy one.

i have a 4 bed and IMO you need max pressed in at all times as there’s no point half heartily sucking the floor.

im gutted they are ending uprights and I have no idea what will replace this.
curby and shark are ****.

i guess I’ll have to get a vax
Old 13 August 2018, 08:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

this is the exact reason I’m glad I didn’t buy one.

i have a 4 bed and IMO you need max pressed in at all times as there’s no point half heartily sucking the floor.

im gutted they are ending uprights and I have no idea what will replace this.
curby and shark are ****.

i guess I’ll have to get a vax
Being honest, I'm glad I did buy it. I was highly sceptical, and thought at worst it would replace the dust buster, but it gets a lot more use than I expected. The kitchen constantly needs the floor sweeping, and this is far better than the dustpan and broom. Quick spruce up before guests arrive or quickly vacuuming the car after a tip run, it's convenience is the main winner, just grab it and go.

BUT it could be so much better...if only it had a bigger battery and/or a fast charger. If the latter was offered you could do the car or a few rooms, have a cup of tea and be good to go again. And I'd have one for work just to do out the foot wells (after a pollen filter change) and air filter housings.

The big question is if the V10 addresses the issues mentioned. I don't think it does really

I don't think they've stopped making corded, they just aren't going to develop replacement models. Not that I'm in a position to need one...my old DC04 still lives on at work, my DC14 shows no signs of letting up yet and I've recently inherited a DC03 which I intend to use as a "upstairs vac" to save lugging up the DC14, needs new post and pre filters first though as it reeks of *** ash.

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 August 2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 14 August 2018, 09:54 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Two guys I work with have the dyson machines
One has a V6, the other the V7.
Guy with V6 says battery is the only thing he dislikes about it, as he only gets about 20mins time.
But he says they only hoover their 2 bedroom house once per week, and they get it done in under 20 mins as only stairs, landing and bedrooms are carpeted, bathroom is tiles, downstairs is wooden flooring.
V7 man says he's happy with it.

Both commented on handiness.

So need I need to find a discount code I think.
Old 14 August 2018, 12:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've always had Vax.

And Dyson isn't developing any more corded ones due to EU rules, 1500W or less......
Old 14 August 2018, 01:26 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've always had Vax.

And Dyson isn't developing any more corded ones due to EU rules, 1500W or less......
Erm, no! Dyson aren't developing corded ones because they have developed an incredibly efficient motor that means they can get the performance and endurance they need without needing to be plugged in! The EU rule to limit power (and its 1600W actually) has encouraged innovation to create more efficient motors and other technologies that enable them to generate higher levels of suction with less power! Dyson was never even affected by the law!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-cleaners.html
A new law banning vacuum cleaners rated above 1,600 watts came into effect on September 1, as part of the European Commission’s plans to meet targets on energy efficiency.
Dyson was not affected by the changes, as none of its vacuum cleaners are rated above 1,400 watts.
When the ErP (Energy related Products) legislation was first mooted, we were campaigning for lower limits – in fact we wanted a 700 watt limit,” said Mr Dyson.
Old 14 August 2018, 01:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've always had Vax.

I thought the lastest ban restricted it to 900watts!

LOL But those idiotic beuraucrats left a gaping loophole meaning you can have a 3000watt motor in a battery operated vacuum cleaner that would be banned from sale as a corded.

The corded technically is more efficient as there is energy wastage in converting to DC and charging a battery then converting into AC again be it via a very inefficient brushed DC motor or a DC brushless with the complex inverter electronics to drive it (DC brushless motors are technically three phase motors hence the need for AC conversion aka a variable/high frequency inverter ), this energy conversion loss can be as much as 25% or more.

Old 14 August 2018, 02:05 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

I thought the lastest ban restricted it to 900watts!

LOL But those idiotic beuraucrats left a gaping loophole meaning you can have a 3000watt motor in a battery operated vacuum cleaner that would be banned from sale as a corded.

The corded technically is more efficient as there is energy wastage in converting to DC and charging a battery then converting into AC again be it via a very inefficient brushed DC motor or a DC brushless with the complex inverter electronics to drive it (DC brushless motors are technically three phase motors hence the need for AC conversion aka a variable/high frequency inverter ), this energy conversion loss can be as much as 25% or more.

The latest Dyson V10 has a 525W motor with 150 Air Watts of suction meaning it matches corded vacuums on suction power.

http://www.uprightswithhoses.com/oth...s-vacuums.html

Don't get sucked in by the anti-EU propaganda! It was the same with the 100W light bulbs! The EU ban directly resulted in the development of power LED lamps producing more light with far less energy. The people who are introducing these rules do their homework and know what can realistically be achieved if companies invest in technological innovations. In both the light bulb and vacuum cleaner restrictions, we've ended up with better products consuming less power!
Old 14 August 2018, 02:54 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

As I said previously, before you buy a Dyson, check out the latest Bosch Ultimate models with exchangeable batteries. From cleaning performance, they're somewhere between the Dyson V8 and V10, but with exchangeable batteries and 60 minute quick charge, they are somewhat more practical if you have a larger home. The batteries can also be used on other Bosch power tools which is a pretty neat feature that Dyson can't compete with! They're also a bit cheaper than the Dyson V10!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-BCS122GB-Unlimited-Cordless-Cleaner/dp/B07BZ6K8MD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534254539&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+bcs122gb https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-BCS122GB-Unlimited-Cordless-Cleaner/dp/B07BZ6K8MD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534254539&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+bcs122gb
Old 14 August 2018, 04:58 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Not much cheaper to be fair, and less add on bits, but quick charge and additional battery are both excellent.
Do you have experience of these Bosch machines, or perhaps you're in that line of business
Old 14 August 2018, 05:23 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Not much cheaper to be fair, and less add on bits, but quick charge and additional battery are both excellent.
Do you have experience of these Bosch machines, or perhaps you're in that line of business
No, but could do with a new vac and was also doing a bit of research, so looking at alternatives to Dyson.

Dyson is probably the top when it comes to cleaning performance, but if you clean regularly anyway, I doubt there is much real world difference.

The interchangeable batteries are the big bonus of the Bosch, particularly with the quick charge feature. I have some Bosch 18V tools too, so would be very practical for me. There is a cheaper version of the Bosch that only comes with 1 battery, so if you already have other Bosch 18V tools and you don't need the spare battery, then that could be a better option. Also when the batteries die in 5-10 years, you can pretty much throw the Dyson away, but the Bosch you can just buy a new battery and keep going.

I have a Dyson corded vacuum already with lots of different tools, but in reality over the 15 years or so I've had it, I've probably only used 2 tools, so the tools for me are a bit of a gimmick and would have little influence on my purchase. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Bosch as It will work well enough for my needs and its more practical with the common battery, but may wait another year or so until I move house.
Old 14 August 2018, 06:06 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

I know its all talk, but there appears to be claims from Dyson that the V10 battery will last for 15 years of daily use.
Don't know what to do really. £500 is a lot of money for a hoover, even if it is super convenient.
Old 14 August 2018, 06:20 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

I know its all talk, but there appears to be claims from Dyson that the V10 battery will last for 15 years of daily use.
Don't know what to do really. £500 is a lot of money for a hoover, even if it is super convenient.
Will they back that 15 year claim with a 15 year guarantee on the battery? If you get 10 years of it, you've done well!
Old 14 August 2018, 08:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
The latest Dyson V10 has a 525W motor with 150 Air Watts of suction meaning it matches corded vacuums on suction power.

http://www.uprightswithhoses.com/oth...s-vacuums.html

Don't get sucked in by the anti-EU propaganda! It was the same with the 100W light bulbs! The EU ban directly resulted in the development of power LED lamps producing more light with far less energy. The people who are introducing these rules do their homework and know what can realistically be achieved if companies invest in technological innovations. In both the light bulb and vacuum cleaner restrictions, we've ended up with better products consuming less power!
You missed my point about the loop hole meaning you cans take whatever size motor you like in a cordless (bar battery limitations), but cannot do so with a corded without falling foul of legislation.

Our V8 is no where near as powerful on suction as our DC14 or DC04, that's with it on 'MAX'. Note that your link does not quote air watts for the 'Normal' settings which is what you are expected to use for 'whole house' cleaning and what is used to get the often advertised run times. If I recall the corded Dysons are around 250 air watts, whatever that is (same with motors...they should be quoted on amp draw, not watts dissipated but hey ho)...My comparison of V8 vs DC14/DC04 is not from stats, but from experience and being allergic to everything that lives in a carpet (so yeah,I'm OCD on this stuff).

Whilst we're here though I would like to point out that there is a problem with the attempts to make more efficient fan assembles used to create the suction...the principals are on par with that of turbos and centrifugal supercharger....the design geometries that consume less energy tend to flow less air. This is a crux of the power limits, at perfect efficiency it will take X amount of energy to move X amount of air. Sure, a more efficient motor and better stator/turbine designs as well as smoothing airflow pathways and reducing filter restrictions will improve matters, but the % gain is going to be around 10 to 20%, which is not enough to cover the 43% reduction in motor wattage. If manufacturers were submitting their claims as homework, the teacher would write across it all "show your working" in red ink and award it a C minus.

ps. Did you know a vacuum cleaner with blocked filters uses LESS electricity? If you flow more air you will consume more energy doing so in order to move it from inlet to exhaust. The maths also works for pumps, as I have done with swimming pools...reducing pipework restrictions increased current draw, luckily with most pool pumps, the impeller and stator on most models can be interchanged for one off a lower rated model with less flow capacity.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 August 2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 14 August 2018, 10:10 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

You missed my point about the loop hole meaning you cans take whatever size motor you like in a cordless (bar battery limitations), but cannot do so with a corded without falling foul of legislation.
I didn't miss it, the point is there are no cordless vacuums with higher than 900W motors. Yes, they are currently exempt from the regulations, but nobody is expoliting that. If the put a higher power motor you'd eather need such a huge battery you couldn't lift it or the battery would be flat in a couple of minutes.

When Dyson first came out with their cyclone technology, they gave the Vacuum cleaner market a well needed kick in the **** and showed that increased suction could be created with far less energy. Further refinements of the cyclone technology and vast improvement in brushless motor technology means that they can now get the suction power with a fraction of the electrical power that was needed in the past. As the article I linked above stated, Dyson wanted a 700W limit in the regulations.

The point is, the electrical wattage is a pretty bad way to compare vacuum cleaners as its the suction power (Air Watts) which is more relevant, and even that is only part of the picture as the brush heads also contribute to the cleaning effect. In the latest generation of cordless cleaners, they are approaching the pre-2017 (1600W) regulation level of cleaning power with ~500W motors and 1hr battery life. I've no doubt within a few years, they will be easily exceeding the cleaning power of the old corded vacs.
Old 15 August 2018, 06:48 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

My living room takes a good 7 minuted to hoover going both ways so a battery powered one wouldn’t do my house.

i do downstairs daily with a dog that mults profusely.

how do you do edges with the hand held?

Quick Reply: Dyson Cordless vacuum