This stupid ***^&!!! sugar tax.

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2018, 11:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default This stupid ***^&!!! sugar tax.

What is it SUPPOSED to do?

Came back from France where they don't have it, but where the choice of soft drinks is much higher than in the UK.

So last night I called into Tossco, and was utterly appalled to find that my choice of soft drinks WITHOUT artificial sweeteners was limited to two: Orange, or Lemon San Pellegrino, and VERY expensive too. Not even going to start on what I am supposed to drink if I don't like Coke/Pepsi

But why? Surely, the decision as to whether I consume sugared drinks should be mine to make, and not taken away from me by Tossco buyers or HM Government?

They have NOT done the same with either alcohol or cigarettes, so why sugared drinks??????

Old 27 June 2018, 12:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

High juice , 2.60 for one now

Instead 3 quid for 2 lol
Old 27 June 2018, 12:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

High juice , 2.60 for one now

Instead 3 quid for 2 lol
Old 27 June 2018, 12:26 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

sugar is much worse than fats/salt . Good job they are taxing it. Have you seen how many fat ******* of all ages are about these days?
Old 27 June 2018, 12:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
sugar is much worse than fats/salt . Good job they are taxing it. Have you seen how many fat ******* of all ages are about these days?
Sugar turns into fat. But religion kills more people than sugar.
Old 27 June 2018, 12:40 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

You still have the choice, you just have to pay more for it!

From my experience of France vs the UK, the French have far less need for the fat tax!

My (non alcoholic) drink of choice... Water! If I want some more flavour in my water, I add some low sugar cordial. If you want something fizzy, get a soda-stream. If I know I'm going to be out so long I'll need a drink, I take water with me. I pretty much never buy cans/bottles of drinks - not only does it save me a fortune, its healthier and more environmentally friendly. Once you remove sugary drinks from your diet, after a couple of months you don't even miss them anymore!

Good tip for you when flying; you can take an empty bottle through the security check and most airports have water fountains where you can fill it on the other side. In my experience the ones that don't are in countries where the tap water is safe to drink. I have one of
these these
which I rarely leave home without.
Old 27 June 2018, 01:06 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar

Came back from France where they don't have it, but where the choice of soft drinks is much higher than in the UK.

So last night I called into Tossco, and was utterly appalled to find that my choice of soft drinks WITHOUT artificial sweeteners was limited to two: Orange, or Lemon San Pellegrino, and VERY expensive too. Not even going to start on what I am supposed to drink if I don't like Coke/Pepsi

But why? Surely, the decision as to whether I consume sugared drinks should be mine to make, and not taken away from me by Tossco buyers or HM Government?

They have NOT done the same with either alcohol or cigarettes, so why sugared drinks??????

You know what...?

I agree with you

Won't be able to get any fizzy drink soon though if they run out of Co2

Last edited by Martin2005; 27 June 2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 27 June 2018, 02:21 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

tell me about it

I have a pub and my coke has gone up £10 a case

so it means I have to put mine up 15 - 20 pence per serving

but only for full fat
Old 27 June 2018, 03:00 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Suck it up buttercup, they will be taxing the over 40s for being over 40 next.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-over-...-care-11418170
Old 27 June 2018, 10:04 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

USA has an obesity problem so the UK follows. McDonalds, Burger king, Pizza hut, Dominoes, Pizza express etc. etc. All the American franchises that helped to make Americans obese are all here in the UK. The government tax sugar missing the goalposts again. They`ve taken down posters advertising some burger joint in the London underground but on TV I can watch cooking shows 24/7 without really trying. During the ad break an ad for B.K. shows a guy boasting about putting on eight pieces of bacon on a burger then a guy chomping down on it (in slow motion), probably around 1500 calories. Theres cheap high calorie food in abundance everywhere you look and plenty of food **** on the telly to work up an appetite, sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Old 27 June 2018, 10:31 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait till you get minimum alcohol pricing based on how many units it has like scotland
Old 28 June 2018, 06:05 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I don’t often drink fizz but try finding a sugar free drink without sweetners!

literally the only option is water or pure fruit juice which with apple juice I do add water.

i thought aspertine was worse for you then sugar.
Old 28 June 2018, 08:20 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Whats wrong with drinking just water! The human race has survived for millennia on just water
Old 28 June 2018, 09:49 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Cos it's full chalk , well it is here - and isn't cold unless run it for 1/2 hour

Old 28 June 2018, 10:39 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Has anybody noticed how even the full sugar drinks have been drastically reduced in sugar recently? Both my parents are diabetic and use sugary drinks to help control their blood sugar levels sometimes. So they now have to drink a lot more of the stuff to get the same amount of sugar, totally thrown off how they deal with it. When Lucozade reduced the sugar in their Energy drink, the NHS sent them a letter but there was no warning for this change. They only know because I thought one drink didn't taste quite the same as usual so looked on the label. Then they made sure to check others and they've pretty much all been reduced, probably been replaced with the additives some people hate in diet drinks.

Yet again, the government completely forgets that these things can genuinely impact negatively on some people.

I really don't see it making much, if any, difference to the amount of sugar most people consume. We've always known it's bad for us but still went and consumed it anyway.
Old 28 June 2018, 10:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

My lad reckons aspartame is a carcinogen, and banned in several states in the USA.

So the message from HMG: don't get fat, get cancer....
Old 28 June 2018, 11:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Is it actually even possible to buy fruit squash without sugar or artificial sweeteners
Old 28 June 2018, 11:07 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I think there's a lot of false facts about aspartame. Worth a quick read of this https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/aspartame-facts/. Even the American Cancer Society says it's fine https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...aspartame.html.

It should be up to individuals if they wish to consume it but that choice is obviously being forced a little. I'll continue drinking anything containing aspartame without hesitation personally.
Old 28 June 2018, 11:13 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt drink that shoite if you paid me
Old 28 June 2018, 11:50 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Sugary drinks are bad for you
Cigarettes are bad you
Alcohol is bad for you

They are all taxed, but as it's a personal choice as to what you put in your body, you have a choice whether that outweighs the financial cost of having them.

Of course, it's a bit ironic that diet drinks are also bad for you, and taste awful, so now you have a third choice, drink something purely based on price that is neither good for you or pleasant
Old 28 June 2018, 12:01 PM
EndaITR
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

My lad reckons aspartame is a carcinogen, and banned in several states in the USA.

So the message from HMG: don't get fat, get cancer....

no its not
Old 28 June 2018, 02:05 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Cigarettes and Alcohol are taxed, quite heavily. But people still choose to smoke and drink.
Old 28 June 2018, 02:38 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
Cos it's full chalk , well it is here - and isn't cold unless run it for 1/2 hour

use a water filter if the water is too chalky, although better to avoid if you can as they also filter some of the good minerals.

There is a wonderful invention call a fridge which can make drinks cold. Fill a water bottle from the tap, stick it in the fridge, then drink cold from the fridge rather than the tap. Use a couple of bottles and you can make sure you always have a cold one available.

Sugary drinks are also not cold unless you put them in the fridge

Originally Posted by dpb
Is it actually even possible to buy fruit squash without sugar or artificial sweeteners
I don't know in the UK, but I would think so (at least hope so). In Germany you have to look hard to find cordials with added sugar or artificial sweeteners, most require you to keep them in the fridge after opening.

Alternatively, you can also dilute normal fruit juice, but you have to mix more fruit juice to water to get a nice flavour compared to cordial/squash (which is concentrated). Mixing with sparkling water from a soda-stream is particularly nice with fresh apple juice.
Old 28 June 2018, 06:01 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Cigarettes and Alcohol are taxed, quite heavily. But people still choose to smoke and drink.
The big difference is that in the case of tobacco and alcohol, the tax is paid by the end-consumer, whereas with the new sugar tax, it's paid by the manufacturers. This is having the end-effect that consumer choice is being reduced, because manufacturers and large retailers are now simply declining to produce or stock many soft drink varieties that aren't made with artificial sweeteners.
For those of us who have the will-power to consume such drinks in sensible, moderate quantities, this means we're no longer able to find the damn things in the shops, and are forced to either go without, or jump through hoops trying to find stockists online, or suck it up and settle for the stevia or aspartame sweetened alternatives, which are quite frankly disgusting.

Last edited by markjmd; 28 June 2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 28 June 2018, 06:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by markjmd
The big difference is that in the case of tobacco and alcohol, the tax is paid by the end-consumer, whereas with the new sugar tax, it's paid by the manufacturers. This is having the end-effect that consumer choice is being reduced, because manufacturers and large retailers are now simply declining to produce or stock many soft drink varieties that aren't made with artificial sweeteners.
For those of us who have the will-power to consume such drinks in sensible, moderate quantities, this means we're no longer able to find the damn things in the shops, and are forced to either go without, or jump through hoops trying to find stockists online, or suck it up and settle for the stevia or aspartame sweetened alternatives, which are quite frankly disgusting.

+1

Hence this thread: https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...weeteners.html

In addition Fanta has been ruined, along with Sprite, IRN-BRU etc. Why could they just stick to offering you separate diet/low/no sugar versions like Coca-cola and Pepsi do?

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 June 2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 28 June 2018, 11:32 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
+1

Hence this thread: https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...weeteners.html

In addition Fanta has been ruined, along with Sprite, IRN-BRU etc. Why could they just stick to offering you separate diet/low/no sugar versions like Coca-cola and Pepsi do?
Yes I agree. That said those brands have been continuously reformulated over the past few years in order to reduce sugar. Not because of health issues, ,but because sweeteners a much cheaper than sugar.
Old 29 June 2018, 09:37 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Yes I agree. That said those brands have been continuously reformulated over the past few years in order to reduce sugar. Not because of health issues, ,but because sweeteners a much cheaper than sugar.
Only because of EU import tariffs
Old 29 June 2018, 10:38 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

So when we're 'free' , big business / rich folk will be on a win win

archetypal brexit scenario

Last edited by dpb; 29 June 2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 29 June 2018, 11:56 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yes! ANOTHER Brexit win!!!

They just keep coming don't they dpb?
Old 29 June 2018, 12:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Certainly, if you were born with silver spoon !

Take back control !

( Of some long defunct empire )

Last edited by dpb; 29 June 2018 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: This stupid ***^&!!! sugar tax.