Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Waking up thinking there's someone at your door.

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2018, 12:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Waking up thinking there's someone at your door.

Just reading the thread about Jehovahs in Russia, and was minded of this.

I often wake suddenly, convinced I have heard someone banging on my door. (Ive read somewhere it's supposed to mean someone who has passed on is trying to connect?)

Two nights ago, I awoke at 5.30, first light here, and was sure I'd heard someone banging on my Velux window, above my bed. I put it down to the usual, and almost jumped out of my skin when it came again. Door, maybe, but on my fekking ROOF????

I got up and opened the blind to find a huge crow pecking hell out of the window glass...must have seen his own reflection when the blind was shut.
He took off once he could see into the room...mind, so would I have: I'm not a pretty sight first thing...
Old 19 June 2018, 01:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm woken at the crack of dawn by tap dancing magpies and horny pigeons.

One of the joys of a living in a typically insulated (Britsh=Nowhere near enough and done badly) Dorma roof house

Do the French properly insulate and soundproof?

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 June 2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 19 June 2018, 01:56 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't know about the French buildings, but the modern German buildings are very well insulated.

I'm currently building a "plus energy" house in Germany; The installed solar panels will generate more electricity than I require for heating, hot water and other day to day electricity needs and I'll get money back for the lekky I don't use myself, which offsets other bills such as water and rubbish collection. Also installing a wood burner that will further reduce the electricity needs for the heating. The total estimated monthly house costs are €8/month for 3 bed 150m2 + cellar.

In Germany, the current minimum building regs require you to build a house that uses 80% energy compared to the average house. My house will use 40% energy compared to the average, and as such, I'll get just under €20K subsidies which goes a long way towards the aprox. €25K additional cost to meet that standard. So effectively, for a €5K investment, I reduce my monthly bills to almost zero. The calculated break even point is under 7 years, without accounting for energy price inflation (which as a net energy provider, is actually advantageous to me!).
Old 19 June 2018, 03:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The insulation was done by yours truly, so I'm happy with it.
I can just about hear a large bird dancing on my tiles, but when they start on the Velux window....

Once Mrs Alcazar gets retired, we intend going solar hot water and having some leccy panels for the free leccy.
Old 19 June 2018, 05:07 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'm woken at the crack of dawn by tap dancing magpies and horny pigeons.

One of the joys of a living in a typically insulated (Britsh=Nowhere near enough and done badly) Dorma roof house

Do the French properly insulate and soundproof?
Same problem for me with the tap dancing, same type roof. Only difference seems to be the noise of the magpies round here, maybe its because they see cats, because that does seems to set them off making a racket
Old 19 June 2018, 05:22 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Don't know about the French buildings, but the modern German buildings are very well insulated.

I'm currently building a "plus energy" house in Germany; The installed solar panels will generate more electricity than I require for heating, hot water and other day to day electricity needs and I'll get money back for the lekky I don't use myself, which offsets other bills such as water and rubbish collection. Also installing a wood burner that will further reduce the electricity needs for the heating. The total estimated monthly house costs are €8/month for 3 bed 150m2 + cellar.

In Germany, the current minimum building regs require you to build a house that uses 80% energy compared to the average house. My house will use 40% energy compared to the average, and as such, I'll get just under €20K subsidies which goes a long way towards the aprox. €25K additional cost to meet that standard. So effectively, for a €5K investment, I reduce my monthly bills to almost zero. The calculated break even point is under 7 years, without accounting for energy price inflation (which as a net energy provider, is actually advantageous to me!).

You kept this a secret!!!
Old 20 June 2018, 07:37 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Wurzel
You kept this a secret!!!
Did you not see my tree cutting antics on FB? Bout time we had a catch-up mate!
Old 21 June 2018, 11:02 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Did you not see my tree cutting antics on FB? Bout time we had a catch-up mate!

No will have to go and check and yes I agree, Neal stayed at my place last night, first time I have seen him in years.
Old 21 June 2018, 12:09 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Wurzel
No will have to go and check and yes I agree, Neal stayed at my place last night, first time I have seen him in years.
I guess he didn't bring all the little Käsekuchle with him
Old 21 June 2018, 12:44 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

I guess he didn't bring all the little Käsekuchle with him

Nope he was up in Frankfurt for a couple of days so stopped the night at mine on his way back to Munchkinland.