Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tilers - I need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2018, 08:20 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tilers - I need your help.

I've rushed something and had a brain fart!

I've used the wrong adhesive on the floor tiles, arghhh.

Question, will I get away with it?

I self leveled the floor two weeks prior so the floor is absolutely level, therefore it was easy to level the tile with the adhesive, and I know I have very good even coverage with the notched towel

Advise please.

Robert.

Old 27 May 2018, 08:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Whats wrong with it ?

you just need waterproof grouting now ?

i wasnt brave enough to seal down all my revised bathroom plumbing like this
Old 27 May 2018, 08:57 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

i used mapei flexible floor and wall grout , this was shower wall tiles above tray
Old 27 May 2018, 10:01 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its a timber floor, Id take up and use flexi, Tidy job, shame to redo, but if it,s not set take up now, imo.
Old 27 May 2018, 10:40 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Whats wrong with it ?

you just need waterproof grouting now ?

i wasnt brave enough to seal down all my revised bathroom plumbing like this
Wall adhesive on the floor. I've made the plumbing accessible for the waste, and all the supplies are plumbed well and are burried behind backer board so should be okay.

Originally Posted by dpb
i used mapei flexible floor and wall grout , this was shower wall tiles above tray
I've got this mate, so no issue there.

Originally Posted by alanbell
If its a timber floor, Id take up and use flexi, Tidy job, shame to redo, but if it,s not set take up now, imo.
Concrete mate, no signs of cracks/movement in the original for, and I've since levelled it to make the job easier, just wrong adhesive - I blame Liverpool as I was doing it when they were playing, or at least attempting.

Robert.
Old 28 May 2018, 11:35 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I reckon it'll be fine.
Old 28 May 2018, 04:40 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I reckon it'll be fine.
I hope so, going to risk it.

I've got the walls to do, so I'll walk on them whist doing these (will cover with a sheet of course) and watch for any loosening or cracks before grouting.

I'm absolutely adamant the floor is level, a 5 foot float was perfect with no gaps under in every direction, and I've notched troweled the adhesive onto the floor and back of the tile evenly (over kill) but that's what I always do to ensure full coverage.

So the only problem I have is weight compression I think, will they take the foot traffic..... Time will tell, I'll buy some spare boxes just in case and store them,, it's only £50 worth as it's a relatively small area.

Robert
Old 28 May 2018, 07:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Does mapai have a technical helpline? It's a long shot that you'll talk to somebody that knows, but they could be able to tell what the technical differences between their floor and wall adhesive is.

I have no idea but ultimately it has to be either porosity, strength/grip, or resistance to pressure/deflection. Or is there some ingredient included to prevent reaction between plaster or screed?

Obviously the product won't be warrantied, but will it work? It's a good product and some wall tiles can be as heavy as floor tiles. And plasterboard flexes ALOT.

Worse case is redoing it all, but how much are the tiles? You are going to end up with breakage, especially if you have to chip adhesive off the tiles. If they are cheapies I maybe inclined to leave it, especially if the fracture easily.
Old 28 May 2018, 07:44 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Does mapai have a technical helpline? It's a long shot that you'll talk to somebody that knows, but they could be able to tell what the technical differences between their floor and wall adhesive is.

I have no idea but ultimately it has to be either porosity, strength/grip, or resistance to pressure/deflection. Or is there some ingredient included to prevent reaction between plaster or screed?

Obviously the product won't be warrantied, but will it work? It's a good product and some wall tiles can be as heavy as floor tiles. And plasterboard flexes ALOT.

Worse case is redoing it all, but how much are the tiles? You are going to end up with breakage, especially if you have to chip adhesive off the tiles. If they are cheapies I maybe inclined to leave it, especially if the fracture easily.
They were cheap mate, I think sub £15msq so I ain't bothered about the cost, more about the time it would take to redo if I have too as the two cuts around the shower were a pita, ended up using an angle grinder with a gentle touch as the time cutter was too aggressive.

As said earlier I think I'll leave it for now and fit the wall tiles, so whilst I'm foot trafficking on them I guess I might see how they cope. I'll also get some decent card and cut a template of the two corner tiles so it'll save me some time later if I've to redo it.

Gut feeling says they won't last..... But hey hoo.......

I'll report back in a few days when I've done the walls.

Robert
Old 28 May 2018, 09:37 PM
DTB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might help answer your question

https://www.tilersforums.co.uk/threa...dhesive.13122/
Old 28 May 2018, 11:44 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DTB
This might help answer your question

https://www.tilersforums.co.uk/threa...dhesive.13122/
Cheers pal.

I've actually scrolled the net so I've seen this, I was hoping for someone who might know for sure with the actual adhesive in using, as pictured.

I'm not on an DIY forum hence why asked here. I know most professionals would suggest no unless a cowboy???
Old 29 May 2018, 10:26 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Waiting on a plane has resulted in me gaining a more in depth knowledge of adhesive than I ever needed ....

Turns out there's three types: Dispersion, Cement and Resin. To confuse things the latter is a hybrid that can use dispersion and cement components but is usually a 2-part product.

I've only ever used cement-based; Having to re-tile mosaics on the floor of a swimming pool a few years after it being built, due to what was suspected as a badly mixed/expired batch of adhesive being used (soul destroying).

Dispersion adhesive seem to be of ready ready-mixed variety, so I guess that's what you have, it seems to be the key for that to work is its ability to dry as its water-based so need to allow evaporation to go-off and set (cement will set regardless of moisture -to a point).

So I guess the issue here is the ability for it to dry, and/or it reacting with whatever it is on the floor. I know you said concrete but that can mean anything, if it's had sealer put on top or a expoxy self-leveller etc. Concrete alone likes to holds moisture it can also react (sulphation, efflorescence etc.) so the issue here I'm guessing is its going to take longer to set and gain full strength before you can put weight on it and before you can grout, and if the concrete reacts with the moisture in the adhesive it may never make a strong bond anyway. So that's probably why the pro's will say no.

I've only ever used cement based and never used ready mixed - Only ever done floors and pools. So I could be totally wrong

The first few pages of this kind of helps explain the differences: http://www.qualicer.org/recopilatori...s/9203032e.pdf
Old 29 May 2018, 10:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I would grout BEFORE walking on them if you have decided to keep it as is. It stabilises them.
Old 29 May 2018, 02:11 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
I would grout BEFORE walking on them if you have decided to keep it as is. It stabilises them.

Definitely. I doubt that there will be any problem with the floor tiles. Tidy cutting btw.
Old 29 May 2018, 04:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

i used aquapanel shower wall one side and tile straight to render other

Didnt fancy repercussions water getting into multifinished plasterboard
Old 29 May 2018, 04:55 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone particularly Ali for going above and beyond with research. Contrary to what's been said, I was advised to leave the joints exposed so it allows air to get to the adhesive where possible, but I do understand what you guys are saying. I'll probably grout them in a few days.

I PVA/water mixed the walls this morning, and i've just drawn my lines for the walls so I'll get this finished tonight, and in the process I'll be walking over the floor tiles so they will get plenty traffic. Up to press I've not seen any movement or sinkage.

Ref the question on the concrete, the original screed was sealed before I self leveled the floor, and then two weeks later I PVA/water the new substrate before affixing these tiles, so yes sealed, but not with solvent.

I'm a little more optimistic that I might get away with this.... But have succumbed to the possibility of redoing it if required, time will tell I guess....

Pictures as it is now, ready for the walls, it's a second downstairs bathroom so not the end of the world of I've to lift them, but as you can imagine it will be a pain and I might need to level again to flatten the surface delaying things further. Anyway I've just bought more "WALL" adhesive for the "WALL" tiles haha. Pictures of one of the vanity units, obviously going where soil is, but just thought I'd show what i'm putting in.

Robert

Last edited by Rob Day; 29 May 2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 31 May 2018, 10:15 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Still no movement, so grouting the pesky buggers this weekend...

Old 01 June 2018, 11:09 AM
DTB
Scooby Regular

Waiting on a plane has resulted in me gaining a more in depth knowledge of adhesive than I ever needed
I do love the way a thread like this results in a whole load of people learning more about the subject in question as they search around trying to find information to help the OP. I've inadvertently learned about all manner of things via the "Non-related" sub forum threads over the years

Looking forward to photos of the finished article
Old 03 June 2018, 09:48 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Decided to finish the other wall before grouting.

Still no movement and I've had ladders on them!!

Window tiles and trim to finish, fecking sick of tiles now!!

Old 04 June 2018, 01:40 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Great job Rob!Worth the effort.It looks good.
I especially like the loo with the extra 'Curry Night' extractor fan option.Gotta get me one of those.

Old 04 June 2018, 11:54 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Great job Rob!Worth the effort.It looks good.
I especially like the loo with the extra 'Curry Night' extractor fan option.Gotta get me one of those.

Haha yeah mate.

There is an extractor above the loo which I haven't shown, that was an angle grinder cut job!!

Pretty pleased with the result, just fed up with it now!

Hopefully finish the window surround tiles tonight and get grouting this week so I can finally start to see it come together.

So close from what was a f_cking nightmare!

I wasn't going to do this bathroom until winter this year as I have enough on, but the room adjacent was showing signs of damp, which was strange as I built another stud wall 6" away from the original bathroom wall so the damp issue must have been bad, and the only way to tell was to rip the tiles off the wall......

yuk!!!

Old 09 June 2018, 04:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I just scrolled down and saw the 'before' pics without reading and had that uh-oh moment thinking you've just ripped it all out again

Looking good though; I need some motivation/inspiration to get my **** into gear with this house of mine.
Old 12 June 2018, 08:50 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

I just scrolled down and saw the 'before' pics without reading and had that uh-oh moment thinking you've just ripped it all out again

Looking good though; I need some motivation/inspiration to get my **** into gear with this house of mine.

Haha, no bollox to that, it's been a bigger job than I was hoping!!

Still not grouted them, as I've found other things to be getting on with. Will definitely grout this week and finish the window surround.

Old 16 June 2018, 06:57 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Finally grouted.... Fingers crossed
Old 16 June 2018, 09:21 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking good.
Old 17 June 2018, 03:14 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Certainty is !
Old 17 June 2018, 04:06 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Father's Day progress!!

Old 20 August 2018, 09:40 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Well I finally managed to finish this room off, just need to clean down the tiles at some point.

Please to say there is no movement in the floor tiles, but I suppose time will tell.

Last few jobs took me a while as I simple ran out of steam due to doing other jobs on the house. Fit Shower (PITA), Skirting boards, tile around window with trim, extractor fan, mirror, painting architraves and skirting boards - job done!

The final result is not as glamorous as I was hoping for, but it will do!
Old 20 August 2018, 09:57 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Do your tiles go underneath the shower ? ( i cant recall )

doesnt look as though need skirting
Old 20 August 2018, 01:16 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Do your tiles go underneath the shower ? ( i cant recall )

doesnt look as though need skirting
No I sand and cemented the shower tray in, then cut the tiles around it to try and keep the step into the shower as minimal as possible. Quite easy to do really with a little patience, I used some card to make the templates first and used an angle grinder to finely cut away what I needed.

I put skirting against the two walls that don't have tiles on them as I plastered those walls to the floor as I didn't want too much tiling the room to help with temps. I also didn't bother with an under floor heating as this is the second bathroom so its not likely to be used a great deal for showers etc.

Robert.

Last edited by Rob Day; 20 August 2018 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Tilers - I need your help.