Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fitbits/'sports' watches and apple watch.ack

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2018, 03:20 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Fitbits/'sports' watches and apple watch.ack

Only ever been shown to me by really unhealthy people who look pretty ill. Top tips for healthy life. And it is not a watch :-

1. Eat breakfast at breakfast time. Not a full English every time but once a week doesn't hurt. But a good breakfast is a good thing.

2. Eat a normal lunch at lunchtime with water. And skip your crisps for 'pudding'

3. Have a proper dinner with veg. And again forget the pudding

4. Drink water as your drink

5. Do NOT rely on electronic devices to tell you if you are going to snuff it.Get a Casio like mine

6. You just need the time and date ( maybe a stopwatch ) on your wrist.Not something that tells you your heartrate because you have a call or message incoming. It will kill you

7. Stop subsidising apple. They prey on your belief you have a need for crap

8. Jack, I apologise , but it is what we are sold. Utter crap at a massive price.

9. Common sense? 32 cakes at lunch a a bit bit much and pringles for tea?

10. Last one. Eat well. Forgoe these stupid devices. Be fairly healthy. Without technology telling you things. You must be mental. Done 29 steps doing this.lol

11. Just eat well, be well not fat with a swanky crap watch.Thing.Not really a watch. An obsessive stress inducer

Last edited by lozgti1; 27 May 2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 27 May 2018, 03:27 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

And apologies. Just had that 400th eejut show me their ****e fitbit and it send me crazy.lol
Old 27 May 2018, 03:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Can we add: "I don't know why I'm fat, I eat healthy" brigade into this? As they usually have fit bits and think spending 1hr a week in the gym pumping 10kg fixes everything.

Meanwhile you witness them fill a bowl to the brim with cereal and pour on half a pint of milk

Common sense....anyone ever weighed how much cereal they put into the bowl then looked on the side of the box to realise just how much sugar they've portioned for themselves? Clue: the average bowl holds at least three times the amount of cereal that you need.
Old 27 May 2018, 08:25 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

lol. Different times we live in

Common sense gone out the window
Old 28 May 2018, 07:11 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oddly I was having this conversation with my wife yesterday ..

Food + nothing = fat

Food + Exercise = healthier

Healthy food + Exercise = well .. guess
Old 28 May 2018, 10:52 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you milk sheep?

Sell them Apple products.
Old 28 May 2018, 01:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Wouldn't be without mine. Never carry a wallet anymore.
Old 28 May 2018, 07:05 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Wouldn't be without mine. Never carry a wallet anymore.
You're so on trend.You we be telling me next you have a beard & tattoos.

Old 28 May 2018, 11:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
You're so on trend.You we be telling me next you have a beard & tattoos.

3 year old watch is on trend. Cool. Beard no tats.
Old 29 May 2018, 09:50 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Only ever been shown to me by really unhealthy people who look pretty ill.
Does that say more about the average fitness watch wearer or the people you talk to?

I (mostly) eat healthily and do regular and varied exercise. I have a fitbit, which is of little use for improving my health but does give an interesting insight into longer term trends in my activity.

I actually didn't really want the fitness tracker, I originally bought the Fitbit Aria scales for keeping a log of my weight and body fat, but the fitbit came free with it.

I also have a Suunto GPS sports watch which is really great for tracking my actual sports activities and giving me great insights into my fitness levels and helps me to better plan activities for improved fitness without over-stressing.

If you want to get fit, get a dedicated sports watch with a HR belt (wrist HR is pretty useless for sports). Step trackers maybe motivate a few people to get off the sofa, but are generally only interesting data.

Smart watches are good for people who can't hear their phone ringing in their pocket, but are really only an extension to your smartphone and not really a fitness/sports watch.
Old 29 May 2018, 12:33 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Does that say more about the average fitness watch wearer or the people you talk to?

I (mostly) eat healthily and do regular and varied exercise. I have a fitbit, which is of little use for improving my health but does give an interesting insight into longer term trends in my activity.

I actually didn't really want the fitness tracker, I originally bought the Fitbit Aria scales for keeping a log of my weight and body fat, but the fitbit came free with it.

I also have a Suunto GPS sports watch which is really great for tracking my actual sports activities and giving me great insights into my fitness levels and helps me to better plan activities for improved fitness without over-stressing.

If you want to get fit, get a dedicated sports watch with a HR belt (wrist HR is pretty useless for sports). Step trackers maybe motivate a few people to get off the sofa, but are generally only interesting data.

Smart watches are good for people who can't hear their phone ringing in their pocket, but are really only an extension to your smartphone and not really a fitness/sports watch.
If you want to get fit - eat less, do more, save money on buying sh*te that is forced on you by people who just want to make a profit and invest in decent shoes/boots/out door gear.
Old 29 May 2018, 01:35 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
If you want to get fit - eat less, do more, save money on buying sh*te that is forced on you by people who just want to make a profit and invest in decent shoes/boots/out door gear.
I am fit I just want to stay that way
Old 29 May 2018, 01:58 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
I am fit I just want to stay that way
A watch does not make you fit. What you do does.
Old 29 May 2018, 03:30 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

A watch does not make you fit. What you do does.
Absolutely right, if you're lazy, unfit and unmotivated, a watch won't change jack! But for those who are fit (or seriously trying to get fit), a watch does help you optimise you training sessions as part of an overall fitness regime.

Its also important to distinguish between types of watches:
  • Smart watches have nothing to do with getting fit, they're just an extension of a smartphone.
  • Step trackers are actually very good for motivating people to move more by setting a daily target.
  • (multi-)sport watches are for people who are serious about improving their fitness using data and a planned fitness program
Buying a step tracker or sport watch doesn't automatically make you fitter, but they can be a useful tool to improve your fitness if you are motivated to do the real work!
Old 29 May 2018, 03:44 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

3 year old watch is on trend. Cool. Beard no tats.
My watch is a 44 years old analogue although I hardly ever wear it.Have a small beard for 30 years because I can't grow sideburns
Definitely no tats!They do not show any individuality if most of your peer-group has them.Quite the opposite in fact.
Old 29 May 2018, 03:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's the notion that sooner or later you'll be Required to have one or have increased insurance that is the concern, surely ??
Old 29 May 2018, 03:58 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the wife a fitbit blaze and it is cool for quickly letting her know if a patient has texted her, without her having to check her phone every two seconds, plus the stuff for counting steps and calorie burning etc. is handy - she eats healthy, is much healthier than I and uses the thing as just a nice thing to have that adds convenience.

She doesn't sit there uploading her recent walks/runs/bikerides, or whatever, to facebook. Doesn't preach to people about the wonders of wearable tech. It's just a thing she has, nothing more.

Each to their own. I can understand the frustration at people shoving it in your face, like it's a thing you NEED to know about It's probably more about themselves validating what they have and that they must be trying to be healthy, because look at the exercise gizmo - and a bit of showing off too.
Old 29 May 2018, 04:05 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dpb
It's the notion that sooner or later you'll be Required to have one or have increased insurance that is the concern, surely ??

What a beard or a tat???
Old 29 May 2018, 06:47 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Torquemada
I got the wife a fitbit blaze and it is cool for quickly letting her know if a patient has texted her, without her having to check her phone every two seconds, plus the stuff for counting steps and calorie burning etc. is handy - she eats healthy, is much healthier than I and uses the thing as just a nice thing to have that adds convenience.

She doesn't sit there uploading her recent walks/runs/bikerides, or whatever, to facebook. Doesn't preach to people about the wonders of wearable tech. It's just a thing she has, nothing more.

Each to their own. I can understand the frustration at people shoving it in your face, like it's a thing you NEED to know about It's probably more about themselves validating what they have and that they must be trying to be healthy, because look at the exercise gizmo - and a bit of showing off too.
Does it monitor the intake or type of food? No = Useless!
Old 29 May 2018, 08:40 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Does it monitor the intake or type of food? No = Useless!
That's down to the person to be responsible about but in fact there are many programs that utilize this info and help create plans (the wife uses one, I think). Combine this with the data that the fitbit uses and it does indeed become useful.
Old 29 May 2018, 08:44 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Has america embraced the normal sized dinning experience yet ?
Old 29 May 2018, 09:01 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Has america embraced the normal sized dinning experience yet ?
hahaha, eff no. OMG it's unreal.

You have to be so careful. Here in my neck of the woods in Dallas it's either the super fit or the super fat. I need to sort my **** out or I will turn into the blob!

It's far too easy to eat out all the time or have it delivered and the portions are massive. Some places also give you the option of 'Texas-Sized' portions, because everything is big here, of course - ok, now I am hungry.....
Old 31 May 2018, 08:24 AM
Reinhold
Scooby Regular

Electronic aids won't help at all. Cut out refined sugar and related products and obesity disappears. Read 'The Obesity Code' by Jason Fung, it's a major eye opener.
Old 31 May 2018, 08:50 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Electronic aids can definitely help, setting and achieving goals is a great benefit.
Old 31 May 2018, 10:41 AM
Reinhold
Scooby Regular

Electronic aids can definitely help, setting and achieving goals is a great benefit.

Goals can be set and achieved without an expensive electronic gizmo. They're just a crutch for the uncommitted and their novelty value soon wears off.
Old 01 June 2018, 09:15 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Reinhold
Goals can be set and achieved without an expensive electronic gizmo. They're just a crutch for the uncommitted and their novelty value soon wears off.
Well of course that's true, but sometimes a gentle tap on the wrist is all the encouragement needed to be just that bit more active. And as someone that gets a lot of notifications, and needs to act immediately on some, not having to dig out a telephone adds up to a lot of time that could be spend on something other than technology.
Old 01 June 2018, 10:18 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Strava has often doubled or trebled my excersise, is that a bad thing? Admittedly I only have the day 1 Apple watch so it's not as good an up to date device but even so I am evidence that using technology is good for you.
Old 01 June 2018, 10:34 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Jack, turn back to being a normal human being and make your own decisions in life.Goodness me
Old 01 June 2018, 10:38 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

You are a human with a brain. Not controlled by a device. But suspect I am very wrong
Old 02 June 2018, 12:00 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the machine.

Quick Reply: Fitbits/'sports' watches and apple watch.ack