Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So ... flat earthers

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2018, 05:59 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question So ... flat earthers

So ... flat earthers, whats the story there . and how is it possible to be that dim and still seemingly 'function' in society
Old 10 May 2018, 08:49 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it works because every bit on nonsense has an element of truth in it - just enough to ensnare (uncritical thinkers) people

even flat earth

the page I previously linked to in the RT thread suggests the following

"Philosophy can explain why. Consider one, standard, flat earth line: “Can you prove the world is round?” Maybe you point to the (often artificially assembled) photos of Earth from space. Or possibly you rely on the testimony of astronauts. The flat earther knocks it all back. The standard of proof is higher, they say. You haven’t been to space. You haven’t seen the round earth.

Perhaps you then start to appeal to science. But unless you’re unusual, you probably don’t know all of the details of the scientific proofs – is it something to do with ships and horizons? Or eclipses? And even if you know the details, unless you’ve indulged existing flat earth literature you are unlikely – right here, right now – to be able to cogently, concisely and comprehensively respond to the lengthy rebuttals flat earthers will give to each and every scientific proof."

so the point is I doubt the average snetter could rebut the arguments of a well trained flat earther and "prove" the earth is round (and that is the same for 911, Climate Change, Chemtrails etc etc)

also I have previously posted on the science deniers use of the word "proof" - a total misunderstanding of science - science does not seek to "prove" anything

anyway you might say "but we have pictures from space"

they will say -"these are photo-shopped by NASA" - and they will link to a NASA page

and yes NASA do build images of the earth using composite imaging (Photoshop to flat earthers)

"scientists and visualizers stitched together months of observations of the land surface, oceans, sea ice, and clouds into a seamless, true-color mosaic of every square kilometer (.386 square mile) of our planet. These images are freely available to educators, scientists, museums, and the public."

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fe...lobe-east.html

so in the law of internet debating 1 nil to the flat-earthers

unless you "know" how to rebut this nonsense - much like "the climate has changed before" "CO2 is a trace gas", "the twin tower fell straight down" - all true statements btw, but in the context of what the deniers are arguing (in the same way that NASA do "Photoshop" images of the earth) irrelevant to the ACTUAL point they are making

you will lose a debate to a well briefed denier - and as I have posted before

"if you argue correctly you're never wrong" - (a great line from the film "thank you for smoking")

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 10 May 2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11 May 2018, 07:32 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

What about that thing where you keep going in one direction and end up where you started?
Old 11 May 2018, 07:58 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by matt-c
What about that thing where you keep going in one direction and end up where you started?
Good question. The suspension of disbelief involved (in trying to convince oneself that despite this patently proving the Earth is spherical, it's still somehow flat) would be astonishing.
Old 11 May 2018, 08:21 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

in a flat earth you just go round the outside

they then launch into rebuttals based on analysing aircraft flight plans and "proving" by looking at departure and arrival times etc that a round earth is impossible

just google "flat earth flight times"

they also point to the fact that pilot fly straight and level at all times, even from the UK to Australia - and NEVER have to take into account the fact that the earth is curved (which is absolutely true btw, but they miss the secret ingredient)

ergo the earth is flat!!!!!

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 11 May 2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11 May 2018, 08:56 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Some people just like to argue i think, and take pleasure from adopting ridiculous positions and seeing if they can successfully argue it.

It's a shame they don't use their brain power for something more useful.
Old 11 May 2018, 08:58 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
in a flat earth you just go round the outside

they then launch into rebuttals based on analysing aircraft flight plans and "proving" by looking at departure and arrival times etc that a round earth is impossible

they also point to the fact that pilot fly straight and level at all times, even from the UK to Australia - and NEVER have to take into account the fact that the earth is curved (which is absolutely true btw, but they miss the secret ingredient)

ergo the earth is flat!!!!!
This is all well and good, but it's easily countered by advising sceptics of a spherical Earth to simply take regular compass readings and make regular observations of the position of the Sun on their round-the-world journey. Or do flat-earthers not believe in such things?
Old 11 May 2018, 09:30 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently New Scientist is funding an expedition to search for the edge of the flat earth, take a few photos and bring back some samples. It seems that the mysterious vanishings usually attributed to the Bermuda triangle were probably caused by people going too far and falling off. The proposal is to erect a high perimeter fence to prevent further losses.
Old 11 May 2018, 09:52 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
This is all well and good, but it's easily countered by advising sceptics of a spherical Earth to simply take regular compass readings and make regular observations of the position of the Sun on their round-the-world journey. Or do flat-earthers not believe in such things?
who knows - the ancient Greeks worked out the circumference of the earth to within 3% using the position of shadows relative to vertical poles placed in the sand (and other "shadow" based experiments)

but if you engage them on any particular point - like you say above, they will have a ready rebuttals at hand, it may be nonsense but they will never concede a point, and they can get some "hits" as I point out with the "NASA Photoshop's images of the earth"

I suppose the point is that if "evidence" was enough to convince them they would not believe what they do

but they also misrepresent what science is all about - that's why they insist on "proof"

it is a powerful tool - they simply say, "can you prove it" - and the answer is "not really no, certainly not to they level of proof they require"

but science is not about proving anything - it is about understanding our world based on Scientific theories which are supported by hypotheses and evidence/data

these theories (Evolution, Heliocentricity, Relativity, Gravity) then lead to technical advances that work, like GPS and DNA/Gene therapy

Moreover scientific theories such as Gravitational Theory have undergone revision, and are still being revised - nothing is sacred in Science

so although classic Newtonian gravitational theory is enough to get planes of the ground and get us to the moon and back etc (and incidentally the secret ingredient that explains why Pilots do not have to account for the curvature of the earth) it does not explain Gravity in its entirety

Darwinian Evolutionary theory has been revised, it was not that Darwin was wrong, but simply that we have better data and a better understanding of how evolution works

But it is common to all cranks, flat earthers and creationist etc to point to past errors and say "see science gets it wrong all the time"

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 11 May 2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11 May 2018, 10:14 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who knows - the ancient Greeks worked out the circumference of the earth to within 3% using the position of shadows relative to vertical poles placed in the sand (and other "shadow" based experiments)

but if you engage them on any particular point - like you say above, they will have a ready rebuttals at hand, it may be nonsense but they will never concede a point, and they can get some "hits" as I point out with the "NASA Photoshop's images of the earth"

I suppose the point is that if "evidence" was enough to convince them they would not believe what they do

but they also misrepresent what science is all about - that's why they insist on "proof"

it is a powerful tool - they simply say, "can you prove it" - and the answer is "not really no, certainly not to they level of proof they require"

but science is not about proving anything - it is about understanding our world based on Scientific theories which are supported by hypotheses and evidence/data

these theories (Evolution, Heliocentricity, Relativity, Gravity) then lead to technical advances that work, like GPS and DNA/Gene therapy

Moreover scientific theories such as Gravitational Theory have undergone revision, and are still being revised - nothing is sacred in Science

so although classic Newtonian gravitational theory is enough to get planes of the ground and get us to the moon and back etc (and incidentally the secret ingredient that explains why Pilots do not have to account for the curvature of the earth) it does not explain Gravity in its entirety

Darwinian Evolutionary theory has been revised, it was not that Darwin was wrong, but simply that we have better data and a better understanding of how evolution works

But it is common to all cranks, flat earthers and creationist etc to point to past errors and say "see science gets it wrong all the time"
You ought to distinguish between young earth creationists and evolutionary creationists.
Old 11 May 2018, 12:02 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
You ought to distinguish between young earth creationists and evolutionary creationists.
yes, sure

and I think most sensible evolutionist do to a certain extent - Evolution says little or nothing about the origins of life/universe

In fact I was watching a great Carl Sagan interview only yesterday where the interviewer asks him the same point

i.e. whether acceptance of evolution precludes a belief in creator, and naturally he say not - just that evidence is required
Old 11 May 2018, 04:15 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

yes, sure

and I think most sensible evolutionist do to a certain extent - Evolution says little or nothing about the origins of life/universe

In fact I was watching a great Carl Sagan interview only yesterday where the interviewer asks him the same point

i.e. whether acceptance of evolution precludes a belief in creator, and naturally he say not - just that evidence is required
You may find this site interesting, Hodgy.

https://biologos.org
Old 11 May 2018, 04:30 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Well stupid me, I shouldn't have but I did ... and ended up at this thread:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/...?topic=61991.0

Old 11 May 2018, 07:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonnys3

Honestly, I don't care what shape the planet is, let alone waffle on and on about it or the people who believe in it: Let them be wrong (or right ), there's far more important things in life to deal with: Does it even matter if the earth were flat?

By the way...the Egyptian gods were aliens and the pyramids were the landing docks for the spaceships
Old 11 May 2018, 09:18 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
You may find this site interesting, Hodgy.

https://biologos.org
I will have a look
Old 11 May 2018, 09:31 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnys3

what is fascinating (to me anyway) that listed at the bottom of this thread are self identifying "flat earthers"

of course their attempt at making the association is supposed to be ironic - but the real irony is they are pushing the same denialism as real flat earthers

yes the flat earthers thread highlighted is simply a proxy for denying climate change - but hilariously they use the same modus operandi as the flat earthers

namely that NASA is playing a massive hoax and faking the temperature data just like NASA faked the moon landings and fake the spherical globe

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 11 May 2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 16 May 2018, 04:32 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Are flat nerds saying all planets are flat?
Old 16 May 2018, 04:58 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Some people just like to argue i think, and take pleasure from adopting ridiculous positions and seeing if they can successfully argue it.

It's a shame they don't use their brain power for something more useful.
Yes I think it's partly that and they just watch a few videos on it and get brainwashed just like a cult ,like Scientology ,quite intelligent people but they have a massive spot in their awarenesses , they're hypnotised....it's not uncommon in society , it just stands out like a sore thumb in cults and this sort of quackery ... look around ,it's everywhere...

flat earth #facepalm
Old 16 May 2018, 10:00 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

And amazingly all the objects in the universe are facing us flat-face on!!! I therefore conclude I am the center of the universe.Always knew it was true.

I'm with them
Old 16 May 2018, 10:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
well the Solar System is essentially flat

but you have to cut flat earthers a little slack , I speak with Brexidiots who tell me it's all going swimmingly, yet we have the cabinet debating two customs partnerships that the EU have already said are delusional nonsense - now that is denial

flat earthers seems sane by comparison

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 16 May 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 17 May 2018, 09:25 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I speak with Brexidiots
Apparently you're supposed to call them Gammon now
Old 17 May 2018, 10:10 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

What I have never understood about the flat earthers is why would people say it's a sphere if it's not?

I can understand (but not agree) with 9/11, Kennedy assassination, moon landings, as you can see how some people may have had something to gain from those events being staged.

But a spherical Earth? If the Earth had been declared a sphere in recent times, you could argue it's in NASA's interests, or the GPS companies etc, but the Greeks worked it out! It has been accepted as spherical for millennia.

I guess some people just like to be different......
Old 17 May 2018, 10:35 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i have concrete and irrefutable scientific evidence the earth is not flat,

Old 17 May 2018, 10:38 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
What I have never understood about the flat earthers is why would people say it's a sphere if it's not?

I can understand (but not agree) with 9/11, Kennedy assassination, moon landings, as you can see how some people may have had something to gain from those events being staged.

But a spherical Earth? If the Earth had been declared a sphere in recent times, you could argue it's in NASA's interests, or the GPS companies etc, but the Greeks worked it out! It has been accepted as spherical for millennia.

I guess some people just like to be different......
alot of it is party stupidity and a massive, huge, planet sized dollop of paranoia about conspiracies.

most are just a bunch of thickos who don't think beyond what they are told by the flat earth 'expert's', which i use in the loosest of terms
Old 18 May 2018, 03:01 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

It's funny all this flat earth stuff. I've watched lots of videos on YouTube and some of the stuff does make you think. After all for centuries man believed the earth was flat.

There was an American expedition to the South pole where Admril Richard E Bryd gave an interview saying that there was land beyond the South pole, which backs up theories that the Earth has a Ice wall around it. So being flat not round. See link

There is also a Buddist map going back 1000 years that shows the Earth flat and things beyond the Ice wall. Which maybe is backed up by Admril Byrd's interview.

And as mentioned above. If you do look at flight paths, they do take some strange flight paths to get to some destinations, yet while looking at the flight path on the flat earth map, make perfect sense, as they are straight lines.

And then we have the argument about running water. Water does always run flat, so just how does water curve around the earth?

And then we have the argument that with a telescope you can see points of land that should not be visible with the curvature of the earth.

It would be fascinating if it was indeed proven the earth was flat. Why they would hide the facts from us I wouldn't know? Maybe to stop us going beyond the South pole? Who knows. Momentum is growing with the flat earth theory, and like I say I've seen some of the theories, and it does make you think.

We are told things from birth and we don't question them. maybe we should. Maybe we are told them as they are true. maybe we are told them to hide the truth from us?

But if true or not, but it always make me laugh when someone says all flat earther's are nutters without any proof, yet believe in a god that has no proof of existing either. We get told that from birth too.

So if one set of believers are a set of nutters, the other set must be too.
Old 18 May 2018, 05:38 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

How do man-made satellites (geo-stationary or otherwise) stay in orbit?
Old 18 May 2018, 06:16 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
We are told things from birth and we don't question them. maybe we should. Maybe we are told them as they are true. maybe we are told them to hide the truth from us?
I'm going to bet that your parents also told you not to eat poop up off the floor when you were little, due to it being filthy and likely to make you ill. Why is it you haven't chosen to challenge that particular accepted idea then, but are so focused on this whole flat-earth / round-earth deal instead? Or who knows, maybe that's actually another secret part of the flat-earther initiation that you've been keeping from us poor deluded roundies. Just between us then, were my parents lieing to me all along?
Old 18 May 2018, 06:47 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The daftest people are not the flat earthers but those who think they are serious believers. Perhaps some are but most are just taking the p1ss!
Old 18 May 2018, 06:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

if we all ingested a little more natural poison would we now be so dependant on drugs for our ' allergies'
Old 19 May 2018, 10:09 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
I'm going to bet that your parents also told you not to eat poop up off the floor when you were little, due to it being filthy and likely to make you ill. Why is it you haven't chosen to challenge that particular accepted idea then, but are so focused on this whole flat-earth / round-earth deal instead? Or who knows, maybe that's actually another secret part of the flat-earther initiation that you've been keeping from us poor deluded roundies. Just between us then, were my parents lieing to me all along?

If you read my post properly, you will see I have not said the earth is flat. There is no absolute evidence to say it is. But what I said was that if you look at some of the videos and interviews, it does make you think. Thinking is good. Questioning stuff it good. Just being a complete sheep and believing everything you are told is not good.

We are told many things from birth, some of which are true, and some utter rubbish. Just ask Santa or the Tooth fairy.

Or better still, for absolute truth, why don't you ask God? After all, he is our creator, so must know for sure? Nip to Church and ask him.

Your post suggests that everything we are told by governments must be true, and anyone who doesn't believe every word we are told, is a conspiracy theorist or a nutter.

Maybe you should see some of the evidence given by flat Earthers. Or just watch the link I put up. Why would an Admiral Bryd say there is land beyond the South Pole if there wasn't? maybe he's just a nutter?

Like I say, it make you think. It make you question what you have been told from birth.

Last edited by stilover; 19 May 2018 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: So ... flat earthers