Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Real mpg’s

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2018, 04:45 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
I've just driven from Zurich in Switzerland to Orléans in France in 6 hours with one fuel stop that took me 5 minutes. Do that in your f...ing Leaf
To help
Just for comparison, if I had undertaken that journey it would of taken 80imins extra for my leaf*

You spent £100 approx on fuel @ 24mpg where as my worst case would of been £24 for electric charge.* I would of stopped and had lunch at one stop and another coffee at the other.**

​​​​​More pleasant experience, no emissions and saved fair bit of money too.
Old 26 July 2018, 07:38 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
To help
Just for comparison, if I had undertaken that journey it would of taken 80imins extra for my leaf*

You spent £100 approx on fuel @ 24mpg where as my worst case would of been £24 for electric charge.* I would of stopped and had lunch at one stop and another coffee at the other.**

​​​​​More pleasant experience, no emissions and saved fair bit of money too.
Hmmm, let's see...

I had lunch with my Nephew at a nice cafe in Zurich before setting off. Much more pleasant than eating on my own at some grotty overpriced motorway services, I'm sure you'll agree. I also arrived in time to check into my hotel and get a shower before meeting friends for dinner in a nice restaurant. I also don't drink coffee, so the idea of sitting around at a motorway services for 40 minutes not drinking coffee doesn't really appeal.

Then add to that, not every motorway services in France is yet due with EV charging points, so you would be staying the whole time about where you can or can't charge. In reality, you'd have stopped 3 or 4 times just to be sure. I however, could drive safe in the knowledge that I can stop everywhere and fill up no problem. I also arrived with half a tank remaining.

The roads were quiet too, so overall for the day, I had a pretty pleasant experience and very seriously doubt you'd have had it any better in your EV, given you'd have either missed lunch with family or turned up all sweaty during the main course for dinner!

As for the no emissions, once again you discount the emissions at the power station and the additional emissions and environmental damage you left creating those batteries that will all have to be replaced after 5-10 years of ownership, creating more emissions and environmental damage recycling them. You're also carrying round 0.5 to 1 ton of additional weight which requires exponentially more energy to move. We're all polluting, but on the grand scheme of things, I'm polluting less overall
Old 26 July 2018, 08:17 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Hmmm, let's see...

I had lunch with my Nephew at a nice cafe in Zurich before setting off. Much more pleasant than eating on my own at some grotty overpriced motorway services, I'm sure you'll agree. I also arrived in time to check into my hotel and get a shower before meeting friends for dinner in a nice restaurant. I also don't drink coffee, so the idea of sitting around at a motorway services for 40 minutes not drinking coffee doesn't really appeal.

Then add to that, not every motorway services in France is yet due with EV charging points, so you would be staying the whole time about where you can or can't charge. In reality, you'd have stopped 3 or 4 times just to be sure. I however, could drive safe in the knowledge that I can stop everywhere and fill up no problem. I also arrived with half a tank remaining.

The roads were quiet too, so overall for the day, I had a pretty pleasant experience and very seriously doubt you'd have had it any better in your EV, given you'd have either missed lunch with family or turned up all sweaty during the main course for dinner!

As for the no emissions, once again you discount the emissions at the power station and the additional emissions and environmental damage you left creating those batteries that will all have to be replaced after 5-10 years of ownership, creating more emissions and environmental damage recycling them. You're also carrying round 0.5 to 1 ton of additional weight which requires exponentially more energy to move. We're all polluting, but on the grand scheme of things, I'm polluting less overall

Don't forget the electric motor is smaller and lighter than a conventional ICE. There is no exhaust or fixtures, Filters, no gear box or prop shaft, even it was a awd version,. so there is a large offset compared to an ICE, then there is the weight of the fuel additional when refilling ICE. So
Old 26 July 2018, 12:25 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the electric motor is smaller and lighter than a conventional ICE. There is no exhaust or fixtures, Filters, no gear box or prop shaft, even it was a awd version,. so there is a large offset compared to an ICE, then there is the weight of the fuel additional when refilling ICE. So

Give up, you'll never convince most petrolheads to go electric. I've noticed it on various fors since EVs became more prevalent, people will trot out every reason/excuse under the sun to try and justify internal combustion is better than electricity. Usually ignoring the fact that if EVs had the same level of depelopment as internal combustion, then we wouldn't be having this discussion as electric is actually the better option.
Old 26 July 2018, 12:29 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

FFS give it a rest. There must be a Forum out there for you and your Leaf. Any thread where someone mentions mpg, you pop up and spout the same old stuff. The majority on here, don't give a stuff about EVs.

Last edited by coupe_20vt; 26 July 2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 26 July 2018, 03:57 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt
FFS give it a rest. There must be a Forum out there for you and your Leaf. Any thread where someone mentions mpg, you pop up and spout the same old stuff. The majority on here, don't give a stuff about EVs.
This one I think
http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum...ng-****er-les/
Old 26 July 2018, 05:00 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

It's obvious to read from your procrastinations, to not wanting to accept that EV are superior in many ways to ICE vehicles. I'll try not to rub it too much
Old 27 July 2018, 01:25 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

It's obvious to read from your procrastinations, to not wanting to accept that EV are superior in many ways to ICE vehicles. I'll try not to rub it too much
No I'm just sick of you spouting the same stuff over and over again.

Let me assure you, I'll only ever own an EV if the government force me to. Otherwise I'll stick to my gas guzzling petrol engined car
Old 28 July 2018, 05:27 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

No I'm just sick of you spouting the same stuff over and over again.

Let me assure you, I'll only ever own an EV if the government force me to. Otherwise I'll stick to my gas guzzling petrol engined car
Glad to see you will own one then
Old 29 July 2018, 03:30 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Calais to Chalons sur Saone - about 400 miles. Did that on 3/4 of a tank and averaged 47mpg.in a BMW 435d, only had to slow down for the tag at the toll booths.
Old 29 July 2018, 03:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Calais to Chalons sur Saone - about 400 miles. Did that on 3/4 of a tank and averaged 47mpg.in a BMW 435d, only had to slow down for the tag at the toll booths.

Good going...our 535d GT does about 41 to 43mpg through France, cruise set on 80mph.

Probably could be better without cruise as it applies the brakes downhill, that and it's 2000kg with the aero of a brick in crosswinds...wind speed does seem to give or take an extra one or two MPG. And I'm sure the Goodyear Excellence tyres are not helping but the damn things refuse to wear out

Old 30 July 2018, 12:29 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Glad to see you will own one then
If, and it's a big if, come 2040 when only EVs will be sold new, I'll be 75 and probably be relying on buses, taxis and Shank's Pony.

I won't be buying an EV.

Hope that clears that up for you
Old 30 July 2018, 09:09 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

If, and it's a big if, come 2040 when only EVs will be sold new, I'll be 75 and probably be relying on buses, taxis and Shank's Pony.

I won't be buying an EV.

Hope that clears that up for you
To be honest, I never thought I would own an EV, once you have driven one, then it becomes clear why they are so nice to drive. The EV is a perfect vehicle for commuters and seen as >95% of all journeys are less than 30-35 miles per day then there is little to no argument for not using one to commute. By all means keep your gas guzzler for those special outings. I do with my F150 6.2V8 petrol. it's on a limited mileage policy, I do less than a 1000 miles a year in it.
Old 30 July 2018, 11:55 PM
TimCooksCock
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Same here....I consider people who moan about MPG and high road tax on a performance/big engined car imbeciles.

How many threads did we have on Scoobynet moaning about low 20s MPG on Turbo'd Imprezas? Admittedly it is quite poo when I swapped mine for a Monaro VXR, which was better on fuel despite being bigger/heavier/more powerful etc.

The VW R32 buyers were just as bad, in fact I point the figure at consumer pandering to the main reasoning for it being replaced with 'yet another 2.0 4cylinder'

When we needed good MPG and lowish tax we bought a diesel...admittedly, it's 2000kg with two turbos and 290Bhp/440lbft. But it happily potters around averaging 40mpg on most runs.
Also with a Legacy H6, can also get 300 or even 400 miles on a full tank but in city driving watching the needle drop in real time is pretty mad. Have this car a few years now and it sure has character
Old 31 July 2018, 01:20 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I never thought I would own an EV, once you have driven one, then it becomes clear why they are so nice to drive. The EV is a perfect vehicle for commuters and seen as >95% of all journeys are less than 30-35 miles per day then there is little to no argument for not using one to commute. By all means keep your gas guzzler for those special outings. I do with my F150 6.2V8 petrol. it's on a limited mileage policy, I do less than a 1000 miles a year in it.
Nice one
Old 17 August 2018, 03:40 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Hyundai Kona Electric now available with 64kW battery, reported with 250mile range. Awaiting EPA mileage assessment. Good news
Old 17 August 2018, 07:38 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Need a paper bag with that too
Old 17 August 2018, 07:39 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Australia actually makes the case for electric cars!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.l...australia.html

i.e. being good for the environment overall
Old 17 August 2018, 10:04 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Australia federal government is in the pockets of the brown coal companies, but state and public opinion is driving renewable s /solar. So frderal government is slowly coming round to renewable energy. Currently energy costs are spiralling, even though they burn alot of coal
Old 17 August 2018, 10:49 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Maybe the key here is better pubic transport , as youve alluded to ....
Old 17 August 2018, 11:53 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Public transport is crap in most places in the UK.
Belfast has now reduced most routes in the city by one lane where possible to speed up public transport.

Its quite ironic though, because as expected the bus lanes have resulted in major congestion for road users as a result of taking away a lane, the buses are now being caught up in the grid locked traffic problems they actually created.
Two buses stuck here - good, long may it continue, as it was a stupid fecking idea.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-37223105.html
Old 17 August 2018, 01:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Seems to be doing its job to perfection - getting you out your car

except bus appears to be stuck ?
Old 17 August 2018, 01:50 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Seems to be doing its job to perfection - getting you out your car

except bus appears to be stuck ?
The buses are stuck every fecking night - brilliant.
In two weeks time when the schools are all back, then the mornings will be chaotic too, and even more buses will be stuck.

As for getting me out of the car and onto filthy, germ ridden public transport, nah, no thanks

Last edited by urban; 17 August 2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 17 August 2018, 01:52 PM
Fishbowlhead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
The buses are stuck every fecking night - brilliant.
In two week time when the schools are all back, then the mornings will be chaotic too, and even more buses will be stick.

As for getting me out of the car and onto filthy, germ ridden public transport, nah, no thanks
People I speak to who use public transport every day seem to be sick 365 days of the year.
Old 17 August 2018, 02:03 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fishbowlhead
People I speak to who use public transport every day seem to be sick 365 days of the year.
Any wonder though, god knows how many people have got on say a bus, used the top of seats to support themselves, or grab rails, many of whom have poor personal hygiene standards in the first place.
And when was that bus last disinfected?
Old 18 August 2018, 01:18 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Good news, diesel is crap

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/diesel-cars-air-pollution-emissions-which-tests-nitrogen-oxides-nox-a8496121.html
Old 18 August 2018, 11:14 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

27mpg 800 mile round trip France , 2l xsara petrol vts , Happy with that

Dieppe - Decize , drafted through some horrendously long tunnel systems to west Paris - never done that before , convinced would end up in the middle but it just deposited us some semi urban backwater ,and the inevitable roadworks which google maps had no clue about , thank god it was 3am not 3pm. Out the other side Paris with oncoming lane thick with trucks taking stuff to market presumably.
Back home via week in Normandy drafted through Le Harve fuel silo storage area , compulsory it seemed ( after Tankerville bridge ) - in effort tp avoid Rouen

Last edited by dpb; 18 August 2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 18 August 2018, 02:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

In other news Yanmar are making a go at 'Game Changing' diesel outboards.

Got to be better than 2 stroke petrol that use the crankcase for scavenging, I guess.

(FWIW 2 strokes that use supercharging with a separated crankcase, like Detroits, is a technology vastly under under-utilised in petrol engines. Petrol Detroit or Junkers Jumo engine, could be fun...could sound like a old school F1 engine https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/tw...oit-auto-show/ . ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 August 2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 18 August 2018, 04:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Couldnt hear it so went to this vid

Old 18 August 2018, 06:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

This does mean the Deltic could make a return...as a car engine

Its just 3 Jumos in a triangle

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 August 2018 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Real mpg’s