Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Real mpg’s

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2018, 06:30 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Same here....I consider people who moan about MPG and high road tax on a performance/big engined car imbeciles.

How many threads did we have on Scoobynet moaning about low 20s MPG on Turbo'd Imprezas? Admittedly it is quite poo when I swapped mine for a Monaro VXR, which was better on fuel despite being bigger/heavier/more powerful etc.

The VW R32 buyers were just as bad, in fact I point the figure at consumer pandering to the main reasoning for it being replaced with 'yet another 2.0 4cylinder'

When we needed good MPG and lowish tax we bought a diesel...admittedly, it's 2000kg with two turbos and 290Bhp/440lbft. But it happily potters around averaging 40mpg on most runs.
i wasn’t moaning. Just a post saying from what I hear it looks like manufactures have to give road test mpg and not lab results.

and I don’t care for mpg at all, same as electric and food prices. I have to eat and until I can’t afford 400g of marshmallows then I’ll consider trying to save.
Old 12 May 2018, 07:36 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Bought a citroen picasso hdi off the in-laws, (gave abit more than they were going to get p/x), I could get 62 mpg out of it driving it like a nun, 56 mpg normal driving & 46 mpg giving the PDF a workout , I could actuality feel alzheimer's coming on!!

Sold it, quicker than it drove.........prefer a car that drinks more than me.........

Last edited by ray54; 16 May 2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: alcohol
Old 12 May 2018, 08:12 PM
Fishbowlhead
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ray54
I could actuality feel alzheimer's coming on!!

Sold it, quicker than it drove.........prefer a car that drinks more than me.........
Old 13 May 2018, 01:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Got two Vauxhall diesels. Both have cost me big money trying to repair faults that were in bits fitted to the engine to reduce emissions to some stupid level.

The ****-stra regularly does Scunthorpe to near Limoges, achieving 47-49 mpg, dependent on load and weather. At present it still has the fault that means flooring it (such as when joining a motorway to get into a gap), causes it to go into limp mode. I then have to drop the clutch, turn off the ignition, turn it back on again, and let the clutch back in to clear the fault. Apparently it's the sender for the high pressure injection pump, which isn't replaceable except with a new pump, £1800 plus 6 hours labour, kerching. Thing is, the car is ten years old this year, has done 120k and is worth less than the cost of that repair...so I live with it.

In future, I'll forgo high mpg in favour of a car that doesn't break down because some muppet insisted it needed about six things bolted to it to reduce emissions.
Old 16 May 2018, 01:46 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK

i wasn’t moaning. Just a post saying from what I hear it looks like manufactures have to give road test mpg and not lab results.
Manufacturers and dealers have to quote lab results figures.

The figures would be totally pointless otherwise because mpg varies with a multitude of factors, not least the driver, traffic, the weather, the local terrain where you live and a host of other variables.

You can only have realistic comparisons based on a standard lab test cycle.

What's new is that the lab test cycle is to change to reflect more 'real-world' usage than the existing unrealistic test cycle requires.

Manufacturers mpg - which must be quoted by law, will always be nothing more than a comparative measurement based on a standard test cycle.

Buyers must stop being so bl00dy naïve.
Old 16 May 2018, 03:16 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Basic rule I use is "claimed MPG" minus 15%

A BMW saying it will do 70MPG, expect more like 60MPG depending on your driving style.
Old 16 May 2018, 03:53 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
Got two Vauxhall diesels. Both have cost me big money trying to repair faults that were in bits fitted to the engine to reduce emissions to some stupid level.

The ****-stra regularly does Scunthorpe to near Limoges, achieving 47-49 mpg, dependent on load and weather. At present it still has the fault that means flooring it (such as when joining a motorway to get into a gap), causes it to go into limp mode. I then have to drop the clutch, turn off the ignition, turn it back on again, and let the clutch back in to clear the fault. Apparently it's the sender for the high pressure injection pump, which isn't replaceable except with a new pump, £1800 plus 6 hours labour, kerching. Thing is, the car is ten years old this year, has done 120k and is worth less than the cost of that repair...so I live with it.

In future, I'll forgo high mpg in favour of a car that doesn't break down because some muppet insisted it needed about six things bolted to it to reduce emissions.
2012 model by any chance ? had the same fault on old works estate, new pump was fitted didnt make a firk of difference, fitted a new maf sensor at my request problem solved
Old 17 May 2018, 11:32 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Nope, 58 plate with 120k now.

It's the 1.9 CDTi engine. Had it been the 1.7, the sender would have been replaceable on it's own, and cost around £100 fitted.
Old 24 May 2018, 10:00 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DSG has been partly to blame for the fake mpg figures. They can (and have been caught) mapping the software, so the box goes from 1st to 7th straight away. Hence un-realistic mpg figure than no one can replicate.

Days were that the manual gearbox always achieved better mpg than the Auto equivalent. Now however, the cheating DSG box gets the better mpg.

Cars are being sold without a even a manual option. Why? They said due to mpg figures (and snowflakes being lazy).

But DSG gearboxes are heavier than the manual. So adding weight and cost (as they were always about a £1300-1500 option) but due to software, they got better mpg.

I mostly frequent Audi forums these days, and several people have stated that they have ordered a car, and have been requested to sign a piece of paper, which says due to new `real world` mpg figures, the car they ordered may not (will not) achieve anything like what the current brochure says it will. And without signing, they can't have their car. Probably the manufacturer covering themselves for being sued, as the car you've just bought will now only get 27mpg compared to the 45mpgb they originally quoted.

I'm glad they mpg figures are changing. Hopefully, this will start a resurgent's in the manual gearbox, as it will achieve better mpg over the heavier DSG box.
Old 24 May 2018, 10:24 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
DSG has been partly to blame for the fake mpg figures. They can (and have been caught) mapping the software, so the box goes from 1st to 7th straight away. Hence un-realistic mpg figure than no one can replicate.

Days were that the manual gearbox always achieved better mpg than the Auto equivalent. Now however, the cheating DSG box gets the better mpg.

Cars are being sold without a even a manual option. Why? They said due to mpg figures (and snowflakes being lazy).

But DSG gearboxes are heavier than the manual. So adding weight and cost (as they were always about a £1300-1500 option) but due to software, they got better mpg.

I mostly frequent Audi forums these days, and several people have stated that they have ordered a car, and have been requested to sign a piece of paper, which says due to new `real world` mpg figures, the car they ordered may not (will not) achieve anything like what the current brochure says it will. And without signing, they can't have their car. Probably the manufacturer covering themselves for being sued, as the car you've just bought will now only get 27mpg compared to the 45mpgb they originally quoted.

I'm glad they mpg figures are changing. Hopefully, this will start a resurgent's in the manual gearbox, as it will achieve better mpg over the heavier DSG box.
These real world MPG figures will help hasten the migration to electric.

Electric cars are so nice to drive, no gearbox, instant torque. My scalps on surprising hot hatches in rolling acceleration '17 Golf GTi, '16 Seat Cupra thingy.
Old 24 May 2018, 07:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Here's a turn up for the books: Just stuck a pair of Michelin Primacy 4s on the front of the Seat Altea and it's now consistently doing 2mpg better! Better than it has done in its entire life (last main MPG improvement came from replacing the timing belt).

Originally it had Bridgestone RE050s which was a terrible tyre for wet grip and noise, then it had Primacy HP (still fitted, on the rear), and Goodyear Efficient-grips, none of which made much difference MPG-wise. So this is a pleasant surprise; the main reason for buying them was the low noise rating (road noise is a issue with this car) and the fact it has the sipes cut into the tread all the way to the 2mm marker, unlike most other tyres which only go down to 4mm

Just waiting for the clutch to wear out now so I can see about swapping the gearset/final drive with something a bit taller whilst the 'box is on the floor; It currently seems to run out of gears when you get to 50mph and reach for 7th gear

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 May 2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 25 May 2018, 12:14 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Define real mpg. My Ltd gets about 180miles to a full tank on average. If I go on a long run it will easily do 250+.

My typical driving is short 6 miles shunts to work and back on back roads which even not giving it large is crap for mpg.

So 50% more just from different roads
Old 25 May 2018, 12:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I always preferred the old 'constant speed' mpg the manufacturers gave before the euro drive cycles came into force. Generally speaking if you drive it at said constant speed (usually 50mph) you'd get pretty close to the manufacturer's claims. Certainly was the case with my MK2 polo and XR3i.

I don't think anyone has come close to achieving the so called 'Extra-urban' figures, even if attempting to drive in the bonkers manner it stipulates (6mins of mixed speeds with speed up, slow downs and idling) Ignoring plug-in vehicles, of course.

I do know I can 'cheat' the warm-up procedure on my Golf by cycling the ignition after its started; It cancels the air pump (used to heat the cat), the idle is much slower and I get overrun shut-off above 1500rpm when it's usually 2000+ rpm when cold. I wonder if VW did the same when they tested it for the official figures
Old 25 May 2018, 06:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I always preferred the old 'constant speed' mpg the manufacturers gave before the euro drive cycles came into force. Generally speaking if you drive it at said constant speed (usually 50mph) you'd get pretty close to the manufacturer's claims. Certainly was the case with my MK2 polo and XR3i.

I don't think anyone has come close to achieving the so called 'Extra-urban' figures, even if attempting to drive in the bonkers manner it stipulates (6mins of mixed speeds with speed up, slow downs and idling) Ignoring plug-in vehicles, of course.

I do know I can 'cheat' the warm-up procedure on my Golf by cycling the ignition after its started; It cancels the air pump (used to heat the cat), the idle is much slower and I get overrun shut-off above 1500rpm when it's usually 2000+ rpm when cold. I wonder if VW did the same when they tested it for the official figures

should be real world so city mpg (not sure how you'd work that one out but as long as a uniform method could be come up with then fine), and motorway 70mph over a certain distance (say 150miles so you get up's, down's etc).

I dont get why manufacturers dont make cars most efficient at 70
Old 18 July 2018, 08:30 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Wahoooo, Nissan to increase 2019 Leafs range increase power as well. 200hp, probably 300ftlb torque. It will destroy all but Tesla and hyper performance cars. I'm hoping for further safety tech too, but rather difficult to find huge improvement, maybe more refinements.
Old 19 July 2018, 05:44 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd have gone been done my shopping in the time this thing takes to park itself
Old 19 July 2018, 08:03 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
These real world MPG figures will help hasten the migration to electric.

Electric cars are so nice to drive, no gearbox, instant torque. My scalps on surprising hot hatches in rolling acceleration '17 Golf GTi, '16 Seat Cupra thingy.
Do you think the likes of Demon Tweeks will start selling 'bigger' electric motors once leccy cars are mainstream? Rather than air filters and exhausts, what will people swap over to make the things go faster?
Old 19 July 2018, 09:05 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
Do you think the likes of Demon Tweeks will start selling 'bigger' electric motors once leccy cars are mainstream? Rather than air filters and exhausts, what will people swap over to make the things go faster?
I believe the days of tuning your vehicle are dwindling rapidly, just look at this site. There used to be many business's offering all kinds of work. They have all but gone. It will be down to a small band of techie guys who will always want to get a little more performance.

Electric vehicle is so nice to drive, with the seamless acceleration, instant chunk of torque
Old 19 July 2018, 11:23 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

It'll be like remote controlled cars: Bigger brushes, extra windings, uprated speed controllers....and of course modded batteries and uprated chargers
Old 19 July 2018, 11:28 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Wahoooo, Nissan to increase 2019 Leafs range increase power as well. 200hp, probably 300ftlb torque. It will destroy all but Tesla and hyper performance cars. I'm hoping for further safety tech too, but rather difficult to find huge improvement, maybe more refinements.
shame its so polluting

mine to road boys, mine to road
Old 19 July 2018, 11:30 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

I believe the days of tuning your vehicle are dwindling rapidly, just look at this site. There used to be many business's offering all kinds of work. They have all but gone. It will be down to a small band of techie guys who will always want to get a little more performance.

Electric vehicle is so nice to drive, with the seamless acceleration, instant chunk of torque
I wouldn't judge forums for that, they have been taking a down for many years, not to mention the number of subaru's on the road is dropping fast.

Dodgy companies come and go, most decent ones are still around though
Old 20 July 2018, 03:07 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I can get the claimed extra urban 40mpg out of my WRX on a flat run to the East coast cruising at a steady 50mph and I always get the claimed MPG of my wife's TDI.

Strange thing is everyone's getting 40mpg out of their TDI's on the VW forums and not many manage close to 40 in a Subaru!

Same when she owned a 1.6 Civic Sport, I was happy getting 40mpg and all the chavs were moaning at 25mpg!!! wtf is wrong with UK drivers???
Old 20 July 2018, 03:09 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
I can get the claimed extra urban 40mpg out of my WRX on a flat run to the East coast cruising at a steady 50mph and I always get the claimed MPG of my wife's TDI.

Strange thing is everyone's getting 40mpg out of their TDI's on the VW forums and not many manage close to 40 in a Subaru!

Same when she owned a 1.6 Civic Sport, I was happy getting 40mpg and all the chavs were moaning at 25mpg!!! wtf is wrong with UK drivers???
i managed 35mpg on a run to bristol and back in my 400bhp wrx and that was more economical than my stock wrx wagon lol, but i doubt you'd get to 40
Old 20 July 2018, 04:29 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

It will destroy all but Tesla and hyper performance cars.
Quoting 0-100km/h in 6.5 seconds, I find your statement very hard to believe.
Old 21 July 2018, 06:36 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Quoting 0-100km/h in 6.5 seconds, I find your statement very hard to believe.
The current 40kw 2018 Leaf with quoted 150hp has recorded 0-60mph in 7.5seconds

The 2019 leaf will have 200hp,and whole chunk or more torque.
I would guess sub 6.5secs 0-60mph would be achievable.

That is not where the Leaf and other electric vehicles shine the most, its real world rolling acceleration, from 10,20 or even from 30mph upto motorway speeds. The wall of maximum torque just leaves other cars for dead.

ICE are all designed to reduce fuel usage, so encourage the driver(if manual car) to shift into higher gear early. Unless you're driving around holding the car in first or 2nd gear looking to race every other vehicle then the huge lag in an ICE pickup never catches up. The EV is gone up the road, perfect for commuting, town driving where nippy acceleration is needed

Last edited by andy97; 21 July 2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 21 July 2018, 04:37 PM
Fishbowlhead
Scooby Regular

Just went from Essex to Bangor in wales. Average speed was 60mph, roughly with some around town driving when I got here stop start then on hilly roads.

On a full tank on start and the light just came in I got 365miles. So over 30mpg, I haven't worked it out properly that's just a guess.

I'll take that for a 2002 wrx. Not like their built to be economical.
Old 25 July 2018, 08:03 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

The current 40kw 2018 Leaf with quoted 150hp has recorded 0-60mph in 7.5seconds

The 2019 leaf will have 200hp,and whole chunk or more torque.
I would guess sub 6.5secs 0-60mph would be achievable.

That is not where the Leaf and other electric vehicles shine the most, its real world rolling acceleration, from 10,20 or even from 30mph upto motorway speeds. The wall of maximum torque just leaves other cars for dead.

ICE are all designed to reduce fuel usage, so encourage the driver(if manual car) to shift into higher gear early. Unless you're driving around holding the car in first or 2nd gear looking to race every other vehicle then the huge lag in an ICE pickup never catches up. The EV is gone up the road, perfect for commuting, town driving where nippy acceleration is needed
I've just driven from Zurich in Switzerland to Orléans in France in 6 hours with one fuel stop that took me 5 minutes. Do that in your f...ing Leaf
Old 25 July 2018, 08:20 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
I've just driven from Zurich in Switzerland to Orléans in France in 6 hours with one fuel stop that took me 5 minutes. Do that in your f...ing Leaf
Just to clarify:

Car is a 2014 wingless STI, tinkered a little too 350PS and 570NM. 0-100 kmh is certainly below 5s (but never timed). In gear acceleration will blow your mind, in tunnel acceleration will blow your eardrums! Initial tank of fuel was 100RON Shell V-Power and gave me 9.8l/100km. Second tank was 98RON AVIA and only gave me 11.4l/100km without changing driving style (if anything, quieter roads with less speed changes)
Old 25 July 2018, 08:49 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
I wouldn't
Old 25 July 2018, 08:52 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

I wouldn't
W==C

Quick Reply: Real mpg’s