Any Plasterers on here? Advice for plastering Paramount Eggbox wall

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2018, 05:48 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Any Plasterers on here? Advice for plastering Paramount Eggbox wall

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice - we are currently having an Kitchen/Dining room knock through & kitchen extension built - our house was built in 1988 by Wimpey - when the builders took down the partition wall between the Kitchen and Dining room it was discovered that the partition walls in our house are built of 'Paramount Plasterboard' or eggbox plasterboard walls - it has a sole and head plate timber strip and that's it.
(cheap shoite basically- gee thanks Wimpey !!)

I thinks its also called drylining - Not plastered, just chamfered boards with a taped joint and smear of white plaster

Problem is all the walls in the Dining Room (and the rest of the house!) were wallpapered straight onto the Paramount Board - when the wallpaper is removed it takes the top of the surface paper off the plasterboard - it leaves a sort of hairy surface where the paper is pulled apart - the builder/plasterer is refusing to skim onto this - they say the entire room(s) has to be re-boarded and plaster skimmed at extra cost.
I'm guessing they will dot n dab new boards straight onto the paramount?

Is this really the case?? - can you not plaster skim Paramount? I understand the surface isn't shiny smooth but still think it would skim ok - the whole fricking house is made of this stuff - and its not a cheap house either - Large 4 bed detached!

I fully trust my builders and don't think they are lifting my leg but find this situation surprising!

Old 27 April 2018, 10:21 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

How much extra are they saying to re board? 8x4 sheets are only £6 each, if the paper has gone on on existing board then the plaster within the board can fracture and blow the skim coat.
Old 27 April 2018, 10:46 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
if the paper has gone on on existing board then the plaster within the board can fracture and blow the skim coat.
I don't know yet - It was actually my wife who saw & spoke to the builder - so I get a garbled half account of something she doesn't understand hahahaha (bless 'em ).

as you quote above I presumed there must be a solid reason why they say it needs doing - so your explanation makes sense - It was just something I'd never heard of before - I thought you could throw plaster onto anything.... guess that's why I'm not a builder! LOL
Old 27 April 2018, 10:51 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Well I'm not a plasterer, left that to my grandad, his brother, my dad, and my brother.
But I do building work, and can understand your builder not wanting to skim onto something that isn't a sound base, as for any reason the plaster did fail it would look bad on them, when it may not be their fault.
Old 27 April 2018, 01:30 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not a plasterer, however I do plaster my own houses to a far better finish than the professional I instructed in the earlier days with DIY skills!

I haven't come across your problem, but have seen an array of issues during the houses I have plastered, and I have to say this stuff is pretty much the answer to any keying problem > https://www.everbuild.co.uk/product/...rers-gripcoat/

Roller on just like emulsion, leave to dry over night (I think 24 hours), and plaster as you would on any prepared/boarded surface.

Suggest you check to see if the product is suitable for your opportunity first.

I cant recall where I got it from, but you can get 10L buckets for sub £20, and it actually goes quite a long way (from experience 1.5 buckets per room including ceilings).

Hope this helps.
Robert.
Old 28 April 2018, 07:44 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the paper comes off the board , And leaves the gypsum , I would not want to skim over it, (And put my name to it) Overboard and skim.
Old 28 April 2018, 02:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Persimmon homes used to build all their homes with that type of board and it was all plastered direct onto the board
Old 28 April 2018, 02:55 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

The hairy surface you mention should be straw, just unibond and skim the thing
Old 28 April 2018, 03:20 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
The hairy surface you mention should be straw, just unibond and skim the thing
Think them boards are like eggshell Steve, Like a cheap Ply Door, If the paper has come off, Don't think the raw chalk will pva & skim.
Old 29 April 2018, 09:40 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Sqne thing Alan just ubibond and skim. If he boards over its really expensive as its all new door frames plus skirting and back mould as the partition is going to be an inch thicker. Plus all the carpets etc will be the wrong size.

just boarding over sounds simple but lots of other things to consider. Also if there is coving to rooms that will all be ruined.
Old 29 April 2018, 09:45 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alanbell
Think them boards are like eggshell Steve, Like a cheap Ply Door, If the paper has come off, Don't think the raw chalk will pva & skim.
if its the chalk surface I would just civer that in board dhesive and scrim the patch. I have never had a issue diing that on a Persimmo house and no complaints as just imagine what the client would say if they saw an issue
Old 29 April 2018, 09:58 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Sqne thing Alan just ubibond and skim. If he boards over its really expensive as its all new door frames plus skirting and back mould as the partition is going to be an inch thicker. Plus all the carpets etc will be the wrong size.

just boarding over sounds simple but lots of other things to consider. Also if there is coving to rooms that will all be ruined.
agree
Old 30 April 2018, 12:05 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments - its not down to the chalk/plaster - is just sort of took the shiny surface off the board paper.

I would have thought using the primer suggested by Rob Day or even just a PVA coat as per SteveBT would be perfect... as the coving\skirting\architrave issue went through my mind too!

I will discuss further with the builder!
Thanks to all :Thumb:
Old 01 May 2018, 07:53 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A previous house I had which was also built by Wimpey had that stuff, now I know that I definitely had the kitchen walls in that house skimmed by a friend, after I took the tiles off the walls, and I don't remember him complaining
Old 01 May 2018, 12:54 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would be surprised in the Grip Coat I mentioned early didn't do the job. You can literally paint over almost anything with the stuff, the only thing I try and avoid is residue or any wall paper, but the stuff is happy on bare walls, plaster, paint, texture, plasterboard (if clumsy or torn) etc..

I used the stuff two days ago on this and plastered it yesterday (I bonded the gap first though). This is where I moved the wall over, you can actually see the Grip Coat from the neighbouring room before I moved the wall over.