Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Velux window removal?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2018, 04:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Velux window removal?

Anyone done it? Removed one and made good the roof?

I have one in France and water gets around the outer "guttering" under the tiles, gets through the roof, flows down the outside of the vapour barrier and is wetting the edges of my newly installed plasterbaord, turning it black.

Ideally, being as we now have two windows in the room with roller shutters, I'd like to remove the Velux and replace the roof as solid.
Is it do-able?

I'm quite handy, but don't want to make it worse.
Old 15 April 2018, 04:51 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Anyone done it? Removed one and made good the roof?

I have one in France and water gets around the outer "guttering" under the tiles, gets through the roof, flows down the outside of the vapour barrier and is wetting the edges of my newly installed plasterbaord, turning it black.

Ideally, being as we now have two windows in the room with roller shutters, I'd like to remove the Velux and replace the roof as solid.
Is it do-able?

I'm quite handy, but don't want to make it worse.
repair/replace flashing around Velux. Has it been installed correctly?

Vapor barrier shouldn't be touching plasterboard. it should go as far down as the guttering. There should be an eaves tray on outer edge to guide water into gutter

Last edited by andy97; 15 April 2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 15 April 2018, 05:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The vapour barrier is an internal one I put over the insulation and under the plasterboard.

Not sure about if the flashing is the correct type, installed correctly etc, as I didn't do it. It's quite shallow....... And the foam upstands lasted about a year
Old 15 April 2018, 06:38 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Vapour barrier shouldn't touch insulation, be installed under tiles on battens or cross battens. If youre fitting insulation between rafters then an air gap below the barrier a least 25mm ideally 50mm. This is dependent on rafter depth.

a breather felt like Tyvek is ideal. it allows water vapour to escape but won't allow water to penetrate if fitted correctly. It sounds like you need a re roof to do the job properly

Last edited by andy97; 15 April 2018 at 06:41 PM.