Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

RT News, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2018, 12:41 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

You do know RT is is funded by the kremlin? aka their propaganda arm.

you only have to look at their history on MH17 to realise what they are like.
Old 20 April 2018, 06:19 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
I'd just like to pick up on this point, and I'll use a thought experiment to show how it is absurd (in the sense that it's illogical).

For example:

Claim: The earth is more or less round
Counter claim: The earth is flat.

The actual truth here is, of course, that the earth is more or less round (except some stretching due to centripetal effects and tides etc). Even every single person alive now and before claiming that the earth is flat will not change the fact that it is in fact not flat at all.

I.e. if something is actually "True", then someone else saying "no it isn't", doesn't change the fact that some things are just "True".

With regards to propaganda, I think the propaganda bit is hidden in the articles/reports (sometimes hidden less well than in other instances). The way it is hidden, in effect in plain sight, is by telling stories that has a bunch of facts that can be fact checked as True. However, they then sprinkle in some absurdities (the propaganda), and people believe those absurdities as well, because "hey, those other things he/she said were true". It's very insidious, and as you get fed more and more of this kind of stuff, the more and more "authoritative" the propaganda elements become as well (because again, all that other stuff was true, right?).
Quite. I’d add that the notion that truth lay somewhere in the middle does apply to something like the Socratic method (dialectic), where ‘truth springs from argument amongst friends’, but yes, a truism is a truism whether or not it faces opposition.
Old 20 April 2018, 08:02 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
I'd just like to pick up on this point, and I'll use a thought experiment to show how it is absurd (in the sense that it's illogical).

For example:

Claim: The earth is more or less round
Counter claim: The earth is flat.

The actual truth here is, of course, that the earth is more or less round (except some stretching due to centripetal effects and tides etc). Even every single person alive now and before claiming that the earth is flat will not change the fact that it is in fact not flat at all.

I.e. if something is actually "True", then someone else saying "no it isn't", doesn't change the fact that some things are just "True".

With regards to propaganda, I think the propaganda bit is hidden in the articles/reports (sometimes hidden less well than in other instances). The way it is hidden, in effect in plain sight, is by telling stories that has a bunch of facts that can be fact checked as True. However, they then sprinkle in some absurdities (the propaganda), and people believe those absurdities as well, because "hey, those other things he/she said were true". It's very insidious, and as you get fed more and more of this kind of stuff, the more and more "authoritative" the propaganda elements become as well (because again, all that other stuff was true, right?).
You miss a vitally important detail from that though, proof.
Old 20 April 2018, 11:44 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by neil-h
You miss a vitally important detail from that though, proof.
"Proof" is an interesting concept, and often misunderstood (and hence misused) you only have to delve into the conspiritorial nonsense of YouTube to see any number of videos with titles like "proof 911 was an inside job" or "proof AGW is a hoax"

Proof has no real place in science or any evidence based discipline

As the saying goes "proof is for alcoholics and mathematicians"

That's why science deniers and assorted bat**** crazy arseholes always bang on about "proof"

"You can't prove evolution", "you can't prove the earth is 14 billion years old and circles the sun" "you can't prove CO2 causes global warming"

And they are dead right, you can't "prove" any of those things and science actually does not attempt to - it is a massive but predictable straw man

What science and all evidence based disciplines do is say "based on all the available evidence" this "theory" or "explanation" explains all the observable facts

If a better "theory" comes along, that fits the facts and observations, then that gets accepted in the pantheon of human knowledge - but it can always be overturned if a better explanation comes along

Also it is worth noting that in science a "theory" has a very specific meaning
Old 25 April 2018, 04:18 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

RT is as ****, and as good as any other media outlet. All sensationalise, bend the truth and headline hook.
There isn’t a media outlet out there, including snopes who are accused repeatedly of liberal bias, who tells the truth for the ‘good of the public’.
Books have to balance, the outgoings have to be less than the incoming and if a ‘bent truth’ will gain more revenue, sponsorship or likes it will be done.

Only a moron would think ‘my news is better than your news’.
Old 25 April 2018, 05:51 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
RT is as ****, and as good as any other media outlet. All sensationalise, bend the truth and headline hook.
There isn’t a media outlet out there, including snopes who are accused repeatedly of liberal bias, who tells the truth for the ‘good of the public’.
Books have to balance, the outgoings have to be less than the incoming and if a ‘bent truth’ will gain more revenue, sponsorship or likes it will be done.

Only a moron would keep on making false equivalences
Old 25 April 2018, 05:55 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

30 years ago, if someone had tried to tell you that their skip-on-wheels eastern-block built Lada or Yugo was as good or better than a BMW 3-series of its day, you would have laughed in their face. Likewise, if a supporter of the local 4th division football team from some no-name town you happened to be in one day tried to tell you that they were as good as Man Utd, Chelsea, or whatever other top-flight club you might care to mention, you'd also conclude they were either quite the worse for wear from drink or drugs, or terminally deluded. In both cases, your reaction would be understood as completely reasonable by any halfway informed and intelligent person.

Taking the above into account, why are you so convinced that the same should not apply to news outlets? Is it really so inconceivable that some of them, for want of a better term, are mostly full of farmyard waste, while others, the vast majority of the time at least, report very factually?
Old 26 April 2018, 01:48 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/425095-ww2-elbe-us-soviet/
Old 26 April 2018, 02:48 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
30 years ago, if someone had tried to tell you that their skip-on-wheels eastern-block built Lada or Yugo was as good or better than a BMW 3-series of its day, you would have laughed in their face. Likewise, if a supporter of the local 4th division football team from some no-name town you happened to be in one day tried to tell you that they were as good as Man Utd, Chelsea, or whatever other top-flight club you might care to mention, you'd also conclude they were either quite the worse for wear from drink or drugs, or terminally deluded. In both cases, your reaction would be understood as completely reasonable by any halfway informed and intelligent person.

Taking the above into account, why are you so convinced that the same should not apply to news outlets? Is it really so inconceivable that some of them, for want of a better term, are mostly full of farmyard waste, while others, the vast majority of the time at least, report very factually?
Old 26 April 2018, 05:44 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

assuming it isnt using completely made up material. RT is well known for peddling propaganda and lies made up by the kremlin.

And by lies I dont mean making a mountain out of a mole hill, i mean complete fabricated information.
Old 04 May 2018, 09:28 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

lol RT - where to start

I know here

RT employ a guy called Sam Gerrans,

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/authors/Sam-Gerrans/

when Sam isn't spouting crap on RT he runs a website called www.quranite.com promoting a Flat Earth

https://www.quranite.com/flat-earth-quran/

"We all know the earth is round because, uh, well, we’ve watched a lot of TV.

And because of the globes we had in our classes at school.

And because NASA says so.

And because NASA wouldn’t lie to us.

This is the same NASA which faked the moon landings.

(The mistakes in that piece of theatre would embarrass a schoolboy. Their litany of howlers begins with the earth being shown as the same size from the moon as the moon is from the earth and goes downhill from there.)

I have several problem with NASA."
(and with reality)

As the RT strap line says "Question More" :-) and we are often told by scoobynet loonies "there are always two sided to every story" as the below (non photoshopped) pic clearly demonstrates

oh and is Sam a Brexit supporter - what do you guys think?????, does he think climate science is a hoax too - you betcha

PS i my view anyone who links to RT I simply regard - like good old Sam here "a flat earther" - guilt by association maybe, but I simply don't have the time to sift through all the climate/science/spherical earth denial bull**** to find anything truthful

Old 04 May 2018, 11:17 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
lol RT - where to start

I know here

RT employ a guy called Sam Gerrans,

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/authors/Sam-Gerrans/

when Sam isn't spouting crap on RT he runs a website called www.quranite.com promoting a Flat Earth

https://www.quranite.com/flat-earth-quran/

"We all know the earth is round because, uh, well, we’ve watched a lot of TV.

And because of the globes we had in our classes at school.

And because NASA says so.

And because NASA wouldn’t lie to us.

This is the same NASA which faked the moon landings.

(The mistakes in that piece of theatre would embarrass a schoolboy. Their litany of howlers begins with the earth being shown as the same size from the moon as the moon is from the earth and goes downhill from there.)

I have several problem with NASA."
(and with reality)

As the RT strap line says "Question More" :-) and we are often told by scoobynet loonies "there are always two sided to every story" as the below (non photoshopped) pic clearly demonstrates

oh and is Sam a Brexit supporter - what do you guys think?????, does he think climate science is a hoax too - you betcha

PS i my view anyone who links to RT I simply regard - like good old Sam here "a flat earther" - guilt by association maybe, but I simply don't have the time to sift through all the climate/science/spherical earth denial bull**** to find anything truthful

Its very sad you cannot seperate the ridiculous from the very plausible,

There are numerous complete fabrications throught history by our public funded peadophile ring the bbc as well as our Government,

Of course we are not the only ones at it, pretty much all governments do it,

Ours is just better at it as we have a few hundred years on them,

WMD in Iraq ....

The problem is the brain doners who just swallow anything printed or on a news report,

Whether its RT,BBC channel 4, CNN,FOX

Who benefits ?

Debt & Death is all that's guaranteed

Old 04 May 2018, 11:24 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

It's not about what is right or wrong,

There is no room for morales when your sole aim is to Profit off of the Debt & Death,

It's all about the money,

Getting caught up in the whole us vs them, when the real issue is corruption at the highest level, all competing to screw each other over

Whatabouterry

Well we are not as bad as them so does that make us good ?

Old 04 May 2018, 12:05 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Its very sad you cannot seperate the ridiculous from the very plausible,

There are numerous complete fabrications throught history by our public funded peadophile ring the bbc as well as our Government,

Of course we are not the only ones at it, pretty much all governments do it,

Ours is just better at it as we have a few hundred years on them,

WMD in Iraq ....

The problem is the brain doners who just swallow anything printed or on a news report,

Whether its RT,BBC channel 4, CNN,FOX

Who benefits ?

Debt & Death is all that's guaranteed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj79bhpD4kw&t=284s

[yawn] a simple strawman

I don't slavishly follow the "official" line because it is "official", but rather whether it is based on evidence or simple bullsh1t

so the concept there is "always two sides to every story" is nonsense, one will be more than likely supported by evidence and the other will be a load of crap

do Governments lie - clearly that pretty obvious

I was against the WMD narrative, it was clearly bullsh1t - and marched to that effect

and the Lockerbie bomber al-megrahi

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...l#post10210053 -

it my take a while but he will be proved innocent in time

no one who has been involved in the case, from his scottish prison guards to most of the scottish lawyers used in the case have any doubt he is 100% innocent

the above was posted back in 2011

interestingly his case is being reopened

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-43987079

"A review of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi's conviction for the Lockerbie bombing is to be carried out by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission. "

as I point out in the linked thread - the evidence use to convict him is almost nonexistence - official story or not

or the Barry George / Colin Stagg case

https://www.scoobynet.com/732684-abs...ml#post8365635

and re Ponzi scheme - yes I have been posting on that in Scoobynet as far back as 2009

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ml#post8980421

"it seems to me that 300 people maybe -- but the beneficiaries were many many more developed a system of churning money around in a never ending money go round making illusory profits (although very real if you look at the yachts moored in Monaco) in a global Ponzi scheme"

https://www.scoobynet.com/996085-how...l#post11340214

"What I find fascinating is how few alternate views regarding the nature of this "ponzi scheme" economy are put forward

The narrative is so closely controlled

And as I said in another post

He who controls the past controls the future, he who controls the present controls the past

Which leads me to repeat - role on the status quo "

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...l#post10248215

but if you expand your horizon and just view the world as one economic entity, what you are doing is just a wealth transfer between countries, - the global economy is a closed system, ( a winner = a looser) a bit like weather patterns, wealth flows from high to low pressure, to me the whole global economy is a massive ponzi scheme

in the weather analogy the driving force is he sun, in the world economic analogy the driving force is to desire to acquire power and wealth

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 04 May 2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04 May 2018, 12:15 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

[yawn] a simple strawman

I don't slavishly follow the "official" line because it is "official", but rather whether it is based on evidence or simple bullsh1t

so the concept there is "always two sides to every story" is nonsense, one will be more than likely supported by evidence and the other will be a load of crap

do Governments lie - clearly that pretty obvious

I was against the WMD narrative, it was clearly bullsh1t - and marched to that effect

and the Lockerbie bomber al-megrahi

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...l#post10210053 -

it my take a while but he will be proved innocent in time

no one who has been involved in the case, from his scottish prison guards to most of the scottish lawyers used in the case have any doubt he is 100% innocent

the above was posted back in 2011

interestingly his case is being reopened

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-43987079

"A review of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi's conviction for the Lockerbie bombing is to be carried out by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission. "

as I point out in the linked thread - the evidence use to convict him is almost nonexistence - official story or not

or the Barry George / Colin Stagg case

https://www.scoobynet.com/732684-abs...ml#post8365635

and re Ponzi scheme - yes I have been posting on that in Scoobynet as far back as 2009

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ml#post8980421

"it seems to me that 300 people maybe -- but the beneficiaries were many many more developed a system of churning money around in a never ending money go round making illusory profits (although very real if you look at the yachts moored in Monaco) in a global Ponzi scheme"

https://www.scoobynet.com/996085-how...l#post11340214

"What I find fascinating is how few alternate views regarding the nature of this "ponzi scheme" economy are put forward

The narrative is so closely controlled

And as I said in another post

He who controls the past controls the future, he who controls the present controls the past

Which leads me to repeat - role on the status quo "

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...l#post10248215

but if you expand your horizon and just view the world as one economic entity, what you are doing is just a wealth transfer between countries, - the global economy is a closed system, ( a winner = a looser) a bit like weather patterns, wealth flows from high to low pressure, to me the whole global economy is a massive ponzi scheme

in the weather analogy the driving force is he sun, in the world economic analogy the driving force is to desire to acquire power and wealth
Pretty sure RT had some interesting coverage of the Lockerbie case when he was being released,

Qui Bono
Old 04 May 2018, 12:54 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure RT had some interesting coverage of the Lockerbie case when he was being released,

Qui Bono
PS in my view anyone who links to RT I simply regard - like good old Sam here "a flat earther" - guilt by association maybe, but I simply don't have the time to sift through all the climate/science/spherical earth denial bull**** to find anything truthful

read my text - I don't doubt RT produces some truth - aka the stopped clock fallacy

I just don't have time to sift through the mountains of obvious propaganda and flat earth bull**** to find it

there are better news outlets

remember - keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out
Old 04 May 2018, 02:52 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

read my text - I don't doubt RT produces some truth - aka the stopped clock fallacy

I just don't have time to sift through the mountains of obvious propaganda and flat earth bull**** to find it

there are better news outlets

remember - keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out
Even the Flat earth stuff will be for financial gain whether its Youtube videos or conventions.

I really doubt any news channel could seriously legitimise Flat-Earthers tho,

Would be suicide, topping the Fake News charts,

The worst offenders are the comedy newspapers that silly folk cannot see are clearly a wind up, almost dailystar levels of reporting
Old 04 May 2018, 04:09 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/16/incred...-fake-4950153/

this is what RT was peddling for the kremlin on Mh17
Old 04 May 2018, 04:33 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/16/incred...-fake-4950153/

this is what RT was peddling for the kremlin on Mh17
Could you point me to the actual RT article ?

Or am i missing it ?
Old 04 May 2018, 06:54 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't the Metro owned by the Daily Fail?
Old 04 May 2018, 08:41 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Even the Flat earth stuff will be for financial gain whether its Youtube videos or conventions.

I really doubt any news channel could seriously legitimise Flat-Earthers tho,

Would be suicide, topping the Fake News charts,

The worst offenders are the comedy newspapers that silly folk cannot see are clearly a wind up, almost dailystar levels of reporting
well read the first two links I posted

Sam Gerrans is an RT reporter - he believes in a flat earth, just look at his website I linked to in my previous post and below is more content from RT written by Sam

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/316642-yout...tion-research/ (read this first then read the below article)

I was unaware of the growing Flat Earth movement until a few months ago. A friend suggested I look into it. This is a good friend. He’s intelligent. I’ve known him for years. He didn’t seem to be having a nervous breakdown.

I said I’d look into it and he duly sent me a few YouTube links

and bingo - a couple of youtube videos later - and Sam is a convert and flat earth believer (wake up sheeple)

anyone interested in the rise of Flat earthism (and it is on the increase)

here are two nice articles

"I watched an entire Flat Earth Convention for my research – here’s what I learnt" - and this convention took place very recently - April 2018

https://theconversation.com/i-watche...=twitterbutton

"How to reason with flat earthers"

https://theconversation.com/how-to-r...p-though-95160

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 04 May 2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04 May 2018, 09:00 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Could you point me to the actual RT article ?

Or am i missing it ?

https://www.rt.com/news/421942-ukrai...-mh17-suicide/

the SU-25 theory has been pushed by RT - but debunked by everyone

the SU-25 is a ground support plane - it does not carry the right armament nor ceiling to shoot down a commercial airliner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-25
Old 04 May 2018, 10:47 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Flat Earth What a bunch of lunatics. Have they never been up in a plane and seen the curvature of the Earth to the horizon for themselves
Old 05 May 2018, 08:38 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Flat Earth What a bunch of lunatics. Have they never been up in a plane and seen the curvature of the Earth to the horizon for themselves
There are better ones than that,

How about Dinosaurs Never Existed

Quite funny if you give it a watch,

Please just don't get suckered in

Old 05 May 2018, 10:09 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

I refuse to give the morons any of my time so never watch their load of old boll0cks.
Old 05 May 2018, 11:36 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
I refuse to give the morons any of my time so never watch their load of old boll0cks.
Think of it as a reaction video,

Like if we got one of the top tuners to watch a vid on why you don't need good fuel or a re-map to see 600bhp from a subaru

Then de-bunk it,

Not that Dinosaurs existing needed de-bunked
Old 05 May 2018, 06:39 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Nope not worth my time nor adding to their viewing figures and earning the fruitcakes even more money.