Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So i bought a Toblerone

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2018, 02:33 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default So i bought a Toblerone

So i bought a Toblerone, and was shocked to see i'd been had.

So i googled it and found this happened in 2016

But i've had them since then without looking like this, so must of had old stock or something. What a poor move.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...change-to-its/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-...-until-9281318
Old 18 March 2018, 03:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
So i bought a Toblerone, and was shocked to see i'd been had.

So i googled it and found this happened in 2016

But i've had them since then without looking like this, so must of had old stock or something. What a poor move.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...change-to-its/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-...-until-9281318
Where you been hiding for the past 5 years? all confectionery is shrinking
Old 18 March 2018, 03:40 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Kraft, the *****.

As already pointed out, this is old news.

Last edited by joz8968; 18 March 2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 18 March 2018, 03:45 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

You could always compensate.

Last edited by joz8968; 18 March 2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 18 March 2018, 03:46 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Has anyone noticed something 'interesting' about the Toblerone mountain logo?
Old 18 March 2018, 03:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As mentioned, it's been like that for a while now, but my reaction was the same when I first encountered one...haven't bought one since either.
Old 18 March 2018, 04:25 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Same as this ridiculous packaging, pretty much half the amount of product that u could fit into the box. It's as well they were only a quid

Old 18 March 2018, 04:27 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Are they ^^^, for all in tents and porpoises , 'chocolate-covered Rich Tea'?
Old 18 March 2018, 04:33 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Are they ^^^, for all in tents and porpoises , 'chocolate-covered Rich Tea'?
not really. They're actually really nice. Taste similar to the non thin versions but different texture
Old 18 March 2018, 05:28 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
not really. They're actually really nice. Taste similar to the non thin versions but different texture

Ah, so the biscuit element is like a thinner Digestive (but slightly different in texture)?
Old 18 March 2018, 08:07 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I must have been buying old stuff as bought one about 6 months ago and was normal.

Originally Posted by ALi-B
As mentioned, it's been like that for a while now, but my reaction was the same when I first encountered one...haven't bought one since either.
Old 18 March 2018, 09:30 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Has anyone noticed something 'interesting' about the Toblerone mountain logo?
is it a dancing bear

just thought i,d throw this in to stir it up...........

Old 18 March 2018, 10:29 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a bear.Apparently the symbol for Berne in Switzerland.

http://www.deceptology.com/2011/02/b...olate-bar.html
Old 18 March 2018, 10:35 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Ah, so the biscuit element is like a thinner Digestive (but slightly different in texture)?
think same biscuit but as the ratio of biscuit to chocolate is 50/50 it changes the "texture".

really tasty.
Old 19 March 2018, 12:20 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

But you get less. It's crazy just make it abit smaller. You must get about half the chocolate.
Old 19 March 2018, 10:48 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Mondelēz made it very clear why the bar had changed ages ago.

The cost of the ingredients had gone up so they had two choices: change the total amount of ingredients in the bar itself or increase the price. People whine like b1tches about the price so they chose to change the bar.
Old 19 March 2018, 11:17 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

This is one of the many examples of "Shrinkflation" in the UK Post Brexit due to the weak pound. In Europe, the Toblerones haven't changed, so could explain why you can still find the old ones if a shop is buying is stock from a European supplier rather than a UK source.

The weak pound and high inflation mean that imported products or raw ingredients are more expensive, so the only choice for manufacturers is to increase the retail prices, reduce the volume of the product or see their profits fall.

Kraft/Mondelez are particularly guilty of Shrinkflation; Toblerone is one case, the rounding off of dairy milk blocks another and perhaps the worst is the wrapping on Roses chocolates designed to take up more space in the tin so it looks like the tin is full even though the is far less chocolate! They're not the only one though, Jaffa-Cakes have reduced packets from 12 to 10 cakes and there are many other examples.
Old 19 March 2018, 11:33 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

That's a good point. I will pop into home bargains later and see if your right. As I'm sure there stuff is from abroad.

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
This is one of the many examples of "Shrinkflation" in the UK Post Brexit due to the weak pound. In Europe, the Toblerones haven't changed, so could explain why you can still find the old ones if a shop is buying is stock from a European supplier rather than a UK source.

The weak pound and high inflation mean that imported products or raw ingredients are more expensive, so the only choice for manufacturers is to increase the retail prices, reduce the volume of the product or see their profits fall.

Kraft/Mondelez are particularly guilty of Shrinkflation; Toblerone is one case, the rounding off of dairy milk blocks another and perhaps the worst is the wrapping on Roses chocolates designed to take up more space in the tin so it looks like the tin is full even though the is far less chocolate! They're not the only one though, Jaffa-Cakes have reduced packets from 12 to 10 cakes and there are many other examples.
Old 19 March 2018, 02:04 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

o ffs you gonna blame the bad weather on brexit as well?

chocolate bars have been getting smaller and smaller for years since way before brexit was even a word

Last edited by Tidgy; 19 March 2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 19 March 2018, 02:24 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ray54
is it a dancing bear

just thought i,d throw this in to stir it up...........

Errr have we BREXIT'd yet?

It is just a money grabbing manufacturer but it does stop fatties getting more fat!
Old 19 March 2018, 02:27 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why have I just bought a double packet of Jaffa Cakes and there were 13 in each packet?

But the shrinking of many things as gone on way before the BREXIT vote. Ask the Liberal Democrats.
Old 19 March 2018, 02:36 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought the 'missing mountain' sized bar was due to the 'pound shop' popularity rise and manufacturing a bar to keep in the price range required - I thought a 'normal' sized Tober was still endowed with full mountainage.....

And I'm not usually one to side with theiving ******* scumbag Mondelez - still have not forgiven them for the Creme Egg debacle involving an egg box of of 5 (WTF!!) Creme Eggs instead of the usual 6 - and them stealing the Dairy Milk choccy they used to be made from for a poor equivalent that tastes ****e and trying to sneak it under the radar..... until they were caught out and then fessed up to say that they never promised or advertised Creme Eggs would be made of Dairy Milk forever - ergo have not bought one since - robbing barstewards.
Old 19 March 2018, 02:54 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

you can cry all you want. After the Brexit result was announced certain things happened e.g. volatility in the currency market with the pound reducing against the Euro......Market forces resulted in the bar changing i.e. they made the gaps larger between the chunks and they made it quite clear to the whiners why..... went something like this - "Ingredients are sourced from the EU. Pound goes down so it is now more expensive, in sterling, for the same amount. But you fcuktards are dumb and cannot understand this nor are you happy with smaller boxes or more expensive product so we have kept the dimensions the same but increased the space between each chunk".
Old 19 March 2018, 02:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
you can cry all you want. After the Brexit result was announced certain things happened e.g. volatility in the currency market with the pound reducing against the Euro......Market forces resulted in the bar changing i.e. they made the gaps larger between the chunks and they made it quite clear to the whiners why..... went something like this - "Ingredients are sourced from the EU. Pound goes down so it is now more expensive, in sterling, for the same amount. But you fcuktards are dumb and cannot understand this nor are you happy with smaller boxes or more expensive product so we have kept the dimensions the same but increased the space between each chunk".
you must have been daft to not notice them shrinking for the past many years.
Old 19 March 2018, 03:10 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
you must have been daft to not notice them shrinking for the past many years.
This example is pretty dramatic though. Much of the historical 'shrinkflation', and been fairly slow and gradual.

More and more brands will be doing this if costs continue to rise. A lot of the blame for this should lay at the feet of the retailers, they have made it very difficult for their suppliers to increase prices and/or get to affordable promotional price points.
Old 19 March 2018, 05:45 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
This example is pretty dramatic though. Much of the historical 'shrinkflation', and been fairly slow and gradual.

More and more brands will be doing this if costs continue to rise. A lot of the blame for this should lay at the feet of the retailers, they have made it very difficult for their suppliers to increase prices and/or get to affordable promotional price points.
cadburies blamed the price of chocolate going up for the 4% reduction in bar size last year.

They tend to drop the size of them steadily rather than in one big go, which is whats happened to toblerone. look at creme eggs for example, they havn;t just changed the size of them but also the number in a box and what type of chocolate they use since the US company took over.

Brexit is nothing what so ever to do with it
Old 19 March 2018, 05:54 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
cadburies blamed the price of chocolate going up for the 4% reduction in bar size last year.

They tend to drop the size of them steadily rather than in one big go, which is whats happened to toblerone. look at creme eggs for example, they havn;t just changed the size of them but also the number in a box and what type of chocolate they use since the US company took over.

Brexit is nothing what so ever to do with it
It's the result of a multitude of issues, Brexit being one (call it 'forex issues' if you don't like blaming Brexit)

Last edited by Martin2005; 19 March 2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 19 March 2018, 06:08 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

At least it tastes the same unlike the ruined Bassett's winegums
Old 19 March 2018, 06:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Takes Allsorts
Old 19 March 2018, 09:45 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
think same biscuit but as the ratio of biscuit to chocolate is 50/50 it changes the "texture".

really tasty.

Yep, I see what you mean.

Are they readily available in most supermarkets?

Quick Reply: So i bought a Toblerone