Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Electric cars

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2018, 02:17 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Electric cars

Ido 8,000 miles a year with very few 300 mile drives. I currently have an ‘suv’ as the boot is big enough for my dog, fishing gear and holiday stuff if need be.
It’s mpg is 23mpg and I fill up with £50 every 11 days.

I'm considering trading it in for an electric car but is it really worth it at the minute?

I do about 20 miles a day going to the gym, baby classes dropping the wife at the station and know plugging in the wall has to be cheaper.
but are there bigger electric cars that will take a lod of carp fishing gear, and Cornwall drive without a charge half way?

also and I can’t seem to find an answer but do electric cars need new batteries every 5yrs which cost more then the car?

i think my question to you is:
is it worth selling my current car for electric to save but in the long run face higher repair bills?

Last edited by RobsyUK; 12 February 2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12 February 2018, 02:28 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
and Cornwall drive without a charge half way?
That all depends on where you live, if you live in Northern Scotland then No but if you live in Devon then maybe
Old 12 February 2018, 02:36 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

It's a good shout but for that size and range you'll be spending a fair penny. Batteries are outliving claimed lifetimes, some Prius's are on original batteries from 10 years ago and still doing fine as are high milage Teslas.

The biggest bonus I found when borrowing one was you could drive like a hooligan and nobody noticed.
Old 12 February 2018, 03:10 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mitsi PHEV.

Youd use electrickery for your 20miler days with next to no fuel usage, but youve got an engine there when needed for the longer journeys ...... Pretty roomy too so shouldnt struggle with stowage.
Old 12 February 2018, 03:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You have to consider tax the gov will have apply to electric vehicle sooner or later

after luring with a paid deposit
The following users liked this post:
Old 12 February 2018, 03:27 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
You have to consider tax the gov will have apply to electric vehicle sooner or later

after luring with a paid deposit
Weve still got quite a few years of the government incentivising green tech, they wouldnt be daft enough to give with one hand while taking with the other just yet!

Dont worry, electric vehicle tax wont be a thing until its had a big nibble of the combustion engine market ..... by which time the worlds long since run out of cobalt and lithium anyway so wont have any bevs to choose from if you wanted to.
Old 12 February 2018, 03:46 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
Weve still got quite a few years of the government incentivising green tech, they wouldnt be daft enough to give with one hand while taking with the other just yet!

Dont worry, electric vehicle tax wont be a thing until its had a big nibble of the combustion engine market ..... by which time the worlds long since run out of cobalt and lithium anyway so wont have any bevs to choose from if you wanted to.
This ^^^^^ and cause even more environmental damage sourcing the battery materials whilst failing to provide the necessary charging points or extra generating facilities needed.
Old 12 February 2018, 04:01 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Agreed, its a total cluster**** at the moment, the government has made some pretty wild claims without a scooby as to how to deliver it.

For me at the moment Phevs make alot of sense! not the holy grail of a solution but the right choice for the next 10years while we transition from ICE to something electric (but probably not batteries).
Old 12 February 2018, 04:44 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

plug in hybrids seem to be quite a lot more expensive to run ...
Old 12 February 2018, 04:49 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
plug in hybrids seem to be quite a lot more expensive to run ...
Depends on usage.

BUT, for the OPs requirements it looks quite suitable! All of the 20mile days would be electric only therefore costing next to nowt, but the engines there for the odd 300+.
Old 12 February 2018, 04:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I would hope theres a huge vehicle tax before Congo has been completely ravished !

More public transport is whats required
Old 12 February 2018, 05:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If we ravish the Congo, all those nice Congolese can come and live at yours dpb...after all, that's what you advocate isn't it?

oh...NOT yours then? LOL
Old 12 February 2018, 05:03 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Ido 8,000 miles a year with very few 300 mile drives. I currently have an ‘suv’ as the boot is big enough for my dog, fishing gear and holiday stuff if need be.

I'm considering trading it in for an electric car but is it really worth it at the minute?

I do about 20 miles a day going to the gym, baby classes dropping the wife at the station and know plugging in the wall has to be cheaper.
but are there bigger electric cars that will take a lod of carp fishing gear, and Cornwall drive without a charge half way?

also and I can’t seem to find an answer but do electric cars need new batteries every 5yrs which cost more then the car?

is it worth selling my current car for electric to save but in the long run face higher repair bills?
23MPG! MY XC90 hybrid does 150mpg equivalent for the 20 miles a day you do. I do about 20miles on electric

My Nissan Leaf comes this week, has an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery pack.

Fast charging takes around 40 mins to give 80-90% of full charge. A coffee stop

Electric cars are considerably less to keep, service and to run than ICE vehicle

You spent £1700 on fuel for the 8000 miles of fuel, I spent £360 to charge my XC90 for same mileage.

Last edited by andy97; 12 February 2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12 February 2018, 05:42 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
If we ravish the Congo, all those nice Congolese can come and live at yours dpb...after all, that's what you advocate isn't it?

oh...NOT yours then? LOL
So because we're somehow of superior culture, we deserve fresh clean air whilst they might not even have electric in house is that it ?

We need as many as possible since brexit ruination
Old 12 February 2018, 11:54 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
23MPG! MY XC90 hybrid does 150mpg equivalent for the 20 miles a day you do. I do about 20miles on electric

My Nissan Leaf comes this week, has an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery pack.

Fast charging takes around 40 mins to give 80-90% of full charge. A coffee stop

Electric cars are considerably less to keep, service and to run than ICE vehicle

You spent £1700 on fuel for the 8000 miles of fuel, I spent £360 to charge my XC90 for same mileage.
At what cost to the environment sourcing the materials?
Old 13 February 2018, 08:16 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Better throw away your phone, laptops, ipads aswell!

At what cost to the environment sourcing crude oil?

Last edited by andy97; 13 February 2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 13 February 2018, 09:05 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Thank you for the replies.
If I was going to go electric I’d want to buy brand new to cover myself if thebbatteries go crappy. I’d want them covered for longer then 5yrs. Buying second hand a dealer could wash their hands of it.

And looking at the price £35k for the Mitsi it’s never going to happen.
I’ve looked at the other electric cars and other then the Volvo they are too small.
Guess I need to wait for the new prices to come down or better guarantees for the used cars.
Old 13 February 2018, 09:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Better throw away your phone, laptops, ipads aswell!

At what cost to the environment sourcing crude oil?
it does appear to only really be a 'green' solution if its in your street
Old 13 February 2018, 09:40 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

you only by an electric car as a fashion statement, they are not green, they are not good for the environment, they take 20 times the resources to produce than any other car on the market, last 1/4 of the time at best and they still need to be charged.

All this green crap about electric cars really takes the pish
The following users liked this post:
Old 13 February 2018, 09:44 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

They do take pollution off the streets and that's a really good thing. And they're fast.
Old 13 February 2018, 09:45 AM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's certainly cheaper to run a pure electric car than whatever you have now. It costs me somewhere between 1.5p and 2.5p a mile in electricity to run my Leaf - depends on your electricity supplier, and how you charge up. I do it overnight on Economy 7 for best value (and load). The equivalent in petrol for my Impreza is about 20p per mile, and in your SUV about 24p/mile. So in terms of money per mile about a tenth of what you're paying.

Maintenance is virtually zero (just annual servicing), tax is zero, most EVs are too new to need MOTs, brake use is virtually zero, etc. Basically the only thing I've ever had to do is top up the wiper fluid.

Depending on where you live and what EV you are talking about, long journeys can be a pain, because to get a long distance per charge you have to drive like a granny. I can only speak from experience with Nissan Leafs, my first was 24kWh battery and would reliably do 80 miles per charge; my current one is a 30 kWh battery and will do 100 miles per charge. The new Leaf has a 40 kWh battery so should do >130 miles per charge, all other things being equal.

As for space, the Leaf is surprisingly roomy for a family hatchback. Only way to find out if it's big enough for you is to go and have a look round I suppose.

The chance of needing a new battery within the useful life of an EV is a lot smaller than was thought a few years ago. Certainly at your level of mileage it's pretty much negligible. I'm on my second Leaf now (2 year PCP lease deals) and there was no battery degradation at all in the 16K miles on my first Leaf, or in the 8K on my second one so far.

All pure EVs come with a warranty that covers potential loss of battery performance, usually at least 5 years. The depreciation can be pretty brutal because of the evolution of technology over time, so probably by the time it is out of warranty, it will be pretty much worthless anyway.

There are some parts of the world (hot bits of the USA mostly) where batteries degrade more quickly, but there are plenty of EVs in the UK doing over 100K miles with loss of just a few percent of battery performance - which is probably equivalent to what you lose in a dino-juice car after that time/distance anyway.

Basically you can forget about long-term high maintenance costs with an EV.

I don't have any experience of hybrids, or plug-in hybrids, because for me they are only a half-decent solution - you still have to lug around all of the running gear for the petrol/diesel part, and do all the maintenance required; and usually the battery is compromised to save weight/space, so you can't go far enough on just battery power.

YMMV of course!

Last edited by boggissimo; 13 February 2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: tidy up quotes
Old 13 February 2018, 09:52 AM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the replies.
If I was going to go electric I’d want to buy brand new to cover myself if thebbatteries go crappy. I’d want them covered for longer then 5yrs. Buying second hand a dealer could wash their hands of it.
While the tech is still evolving so fast, you could look at a lease/PCP/PCH deal. The dealers want their cars on the street, and the finance can be pretty reasonable given interest rates at the moment, so you're just paying a bit of depreciation and then hand the car back after 2/3/4 years - by which time the next EV will go further per charge.

I pay <£200/month for my Leaf, on 10,000 miles pa over 2 years, £1000 deposit, and will hand it back at the end, and probably get another one.
Old 13 February 2018, 10:13 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

jeez , i think i'll leave it few years - maybe till forced off the road!

spend half that much a year and im having fun in dino fuel guzzler

and itll still be worth few hundred quid in couple years time
Old 13 February 2018, 10:24 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I dont see how / why electric car brakes should as a whole set up should wear less

i know mine , partially cos by the sea perhaps , need replacing regularly on <<10k a year
Old 13 February 2018, 10:36 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

They use regeneration for braking.
Old 13 February 2018, 10:43 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

They still have discs though ? ,

these wear out , even with no use
Old 13 February 2018, 11:17 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

WHAT?
Old 13 February 2018, 11:34 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Dont think iv ever actaully warn out , through braking , a brake disc
Old 13 February 2018, 11:36 AM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

I've just had my first year service (8500 miles), front pads were 20% worn, rear pads 10% worn. No significant wear on the discs. So 5 years before it needs new pads, and even then that's just at the front.
Old 13 February 2018, 11:42 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Brakes hardly get used on EV, the regen braking affect is very strong and negates using brakes for most eventualities. The 2018 Leaf even goes further and has E- pedal which brings the car to a complete stop combining regen and slight brakes. Brakes discs hardly wear unless you've got binding pads.

My pcp purchase is near to £100 a month and will be swapping it for 2019 Leaf with 60KW battery 225+ range

Quick Reply: Electric cars