Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car insurance - reporting accident

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2018, 11:41 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car insurance - reporting accident

Do you have to report an accident to your insurance company even if not your fault, and your not making a claim?

Police have insurance details of both parties, but neither party has request the others insurance details.

Its not me, its for someone else (a new driver)

Seems to be a very grey area.
If you do report it for information only purposes, and no claim is involved, does it then in turn mean your premium will go up?

Policy wording

- Lastly, when you're home safely, give us a call on 0800 032 2577. You can ask someone else to report the claim but we'll need to talk to you about it afterwards; we'll take all details during the initial phone call and there are no forms to complete.

Last edited by urban; 02 February 2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02 February 2018, 11:52 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't report it, and later there is a claim against you, it could prove difficult. Don't be surprised if your premium goes up though.
Old 02 February 2018, 04:38 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many dead?

No need to report if no one hurt. If you weren't asked for insurance details don't bother.

Don't tell Felix or he will arrest you.

Did someone jot down number of other car or take a witness address?

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 02 February 2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02 February 2018, 07:05 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
None dead

Car driver badly shaken up because of it and sore, driver of bus and those on bus fine.
They exchanged names/number and addresses.

Transport company not been in touch with her, her car is scrap now though. Bus caught front wheel of her car in its rear wheel arch, dragged her a bit before looking in mirrors to see what was wrong.
As a result, her car needs a wing, wheel, track rod end, steering rack, lower arm, passenger seat (airbag deployed), splash guard, some sensor. Does not make sense financially to repair it.

No witnesses unfortunately, two elderly ladies got off bus and gave her a hug as she was in a state, but they were on the wrong side of the bus, in fact it seems most were on other side of the bus or at the front on the important side, so didn't see anything.

Sorry I am confused now. Car driver will need to tell her insurane co so they can make claim on bus insurance and possibly loan her some wheels to get around. Emphasise that no fault should be put on her. None of this cosy knock-for-knock s,hit.
Choose something smaller to argue with next time.

d
Old 02 February 2018, 07:32 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

How else is your insurance company going to sort the claim out if you don't tell them? Report it asap with as much info as possible, it's what you pay legal expenses for, unless you didn't.
Old 02 February 2018, 09:30 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
How else is your insurance company going to sort the claim out if you don't tell them? Report it asap with as much info as possible, it's what you pay legal expenses for, unless you didn't.
Exactly what Busta said
Old 03 February 2018, 07:05 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Generally you need to report all accidents to insurance. This is protect yourself in the event of a claim against you or to guarantee starting a claim against someone else. My last 3 claims have been against scum of the earth *******, who caused minor damage to my vehicles, had no real defence to contest the claim, then changed their story to wriggle out of claim. Unfortunately camera evidence and location of damage put pay to their attempts. It still took a year to sort out these stupid attempts to dodge their responsibilities.
Old 03 February 2018, 09:42 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
I doubt there is legal cover since its third party cover on a car approximately worth £700 with insurance costing £1800
It depends if they actually payed the additional fee for leagal expenses? And if they were 3rd party only then they should still have a chance of winning the claim if it turns out correct.
I'm surprised they still even sell 3rd party policies tbh, ages ago when I checked the full comp was cheaper than 3rd party.
Old 12 February 2018, 06:33 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why isn't she making a claim?