Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2017, 05:26 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought I'd update as promised!
Passed my CBT now and I'm picking up a little Yamaha yzf r125 on Friday to ride around until I've got everything else sorted.
I've got my theory booked for 19th Oct (earliest date they had an available slot I was available to do unfortunately).
And I was happy the CBT instructor said I'll be fine with just 3 days training for DAS.
Also I've decided that I'm going to spend more than I originally planned to, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for a Aprilia RSV4. I've been speaking to an ex police bike trainer who ive known for about a decade, who said its not worth me getting a 600 so I've also got my insurance quote and it's less than £1k so I'm all happy!
Thanks for all the help guys! Had loads of great info and things to think about!
Tog
Old 25 September 2017, 07:42 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just waiting for my Mod 2 now, soon as a test becomes free I'll jump in.. passed my mod1 with no minors so here's hoping

Bought myself a shiver 750 gt abs
Old 25 September 2017, 09:24 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much all avenues have been covered.

I disagree with the comments regarding the 600cc not being enough, the 600 will be plenty enough and will shift your weight no problem at all, in fact the 600 is a good bike to improve your riding, stop you from being lazy and make you think more about the gear you're in before committing to any overtakes.

Over the years I've went from smaller bikes, to larger bikes and back again......and then back to bigger bikes, some track bikes etc etc and they're all brilliant fun. Go with your heart and buy what you want to buy regardless of what other people say, the only issue you may have is insurance but from the experience that I've had insurance is relatively cheap for bikes but that may not be the same for you.
Old 25 September 2017, 10:24 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

You're about to make an expensive mistake.
At 6ft+ and 20 stone you're not going to find an Rsv4 that easy to even sit on.
You may think you'll look the business but you won't. The bike will look awesome but you won't sitting perched up on it. Sure it'll win you brownie points with your mates when it's parked up but a few painfully cramped hours will soon make you realise you've bought the wrong bike. Whoever recommended an Rsv4 to you needs a punch in the throat as they're obviously clueless or having a laugh at your expense. As for the Police motorcyclists advice, well I can see his point. I've advised friends who're starting out on bikes to pass their test and then go for a biggie. After all, it only goes as fast as you turn your right wrist. You're in control of that.
But, and it's evidently a big Butt, going from the 125 learner bike to an Rsv4 though isn't like passing your test in a clio and then getting an impreza wrx. The gap between the two bikes is huge, astronomical!
You'll be riding around like a huge old grandad on it for a couple of months at least until you catch sight of yourself in a shop window or can't afford to have any more time off work visiting the local chiropractor.
If you get the Rsv4 then for f#***s sake take it very easy. You think you're going to be like Guy Martin with all the gear but you're really not. Choose a better bike, big as you like but one you'll be able to ride. You can thank me later.
Old 26 September 2017, 01:09 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wull
Pretty much all avenues have been covered.

I disagree with the comments regarding the 600cc not being enough, the 600 will be plenty enough and will shift your weight no problem at all, in fact the 600 is a good bike to improve your riding, stop you from being lazy and make you think more about the gear you're in before committing to any overtakes.

Over the years I've went from smaller bikes, to larger bikes and back again......and then back to bigger bikes, some track bikes etc etc and they're all brilliant fun. Go with your heart and buy what you want to buy regardless of what other people say, the only issue you may have is insurance but from the experience that I've had insurance is relatively cheap for bikes but that may not be the same for you.
Originally Posted by Alg
You're about to make an expensive mistake.
At 6ft+ and 20 stone you're not going to find an Rsv4 that easy to even sit on.
You may think you'll look the business but you won't. The bike will look awesome but you won't sitting perched up on it. Sure it'll win you brownie points with your mates when it's parked up but a few painfully cramped hours will soon make you realise you've bought the wrong bike. Whoever recommended an Rsv4 to you needs a punch in the throat as they're obviously clueless or having a laugh at your expense. As for the Police motorcyclists advice, well I can see his point. I've advised friends who're starting out on bikes to pass their test and then go for a biggie. After all, it only goes as fast as you turn your right wrist. You're in control of that.
But, and it's evidently a big Butt, going from the 125 learner bike to an Rsv4 though isn't like passing your test in a clio and then getting an impreza wrx. The gap between the two bikes is huge, astronomical!
You'll be riding around like a huge old grandad on it for a couple of months at least until you catch sight of yourself in a shop window or can't afford to have any more time off work visiting the local chiropractor.
If you get the Rsv4 then for f#***s sake take it very easy. You think you're going to be like Guy Martin with all the gear but you're really not. Choose a better bike, big as you like but one you'll be able to ride. You can thank me later.
+1 to both
Old 26 September 2017, 10:23 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

I've had various big road bikes over the years but currently have a CCM R30 Supermoto in the garage.

Not for long distances / motorway but loads of fun at more sensible speeds.
Old 26 September 2017, 02:47 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nearly wiped out on my 600RR at the weekend. Came round an NSL corner at 70 ish and a car was just stationary in the road. Evasive action was taken onto the grass verge and i won the lotto (no damage to bike, me or anything). Time to put the toy away for the winter
Old 27 September 2017, 09:49 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Just bare in mind, modern litre sport bikes are nudging 1000bhp per tonne, so the fact that you weigh 20 stone shouldn't really be a deciding factor that you really need a litre sports bike.
Old 30 September 2017, 10:55 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Well I picked up a little yamaha r125 yesterday.. already got my first bike related injury haha. A wasp managed to lodge itself inbetween my helmet and temple and I couldn't pull over with a car behind me and on country lanes at the time so I took a few minutes to get the thing out of my helmet. I've now got a massive swollen eye but fortunately I'm not in pain.. I just look stupid haha.
As most have said, I'll get what my heart desired at the end of the day, and I'm still not 100% and have a few months to make final decisions lol.
Obviously the r125 is helping me decide if a super sport is definitely the way but so far ive done 80miles since yesterday just riding around for fun and it's been raining most of the time but still found it great, just take it easy on the leaves and mud on the road and careful round the corners, but most importantly I feel ok on the bike, the seating position and back are all fine, only gripe is the rear brake is too small, and requires extending out from the bike, but it is a small bike and I have size 14 feet haha.
As for what others think I look like on a bike. . I'm really not bothered or worried lol. It's about how it makes me feel. Jesus, if I worried about what I looked like to others I wouldn't drive a subaru haha. I know we all love them, but quite honestly the majority of people think they are chav-wagon's!

Anyway here's a pic of my little r125. I can't wait until I can remove the L plates lol

Old 30 September 2017, 11:03 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

What a great looking little bike (looks like a small version of my old 2003 R1 in the same colour) nice one Now just think if you can ride that OK then a 600 WILL be fine despite what others say.

As for what you look like, exactly that! My CBR 400rr looked tiny under me like a kids bike but f**k did that bike handle like a dream. Small and low centre of gravity means extremely flickable and massive fun not to mention a good learning experience for bigger stuff to come

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 30 September 2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10 March 2018, 12:56 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Been a while but as I have now got a bike, it's only right to update the thread!
Let me start by saying I took all the advice I've been given from various sources, but at the end of the day the heart still needed fulfilling.. so I've gone smaller than a 1000, but bigger than a 600..
May I introduce my new bike (which I haven't even picked up from the garage yet!)

2008 ducati 848.
Very happy with the bikes looks etc and can't wait to go out and scare myself lol. Obviously going to be taking it extremely easy!
Old 10 March 2018, 01:20 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Good choice. Not silly powerful, but will have plenty of torque, and being a v-twin will sound awesome as well. Enjoy, and stay safe.
Old 10 March 2018, 01:21 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Very nice indeed! Take it easy, enjoy it and get some larger pictures up lol
Old 10 March 2018, 01:31 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Nice choice!

I had a 748 crazy torque They eat rear tyres.
Old 10 March 2018, 01:34 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Exactly the reason I picked the bike. Along with its gorgeous looks, it's the least powerful supersport ducati in the last 10 years (Not counting the new "supersport" model) but is by no means slow.
From research it's supposedly similar performance wise to a gsxr750.. I sort of think of it as a torquey 600 almost lol. Which should be exactly what I wanted.
I will get some decent pics as soon as I have the bike in my hands haha. Currently having MOT refreshed and having a full service!
Old 10 March 2018, 01:45 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Make sure you know when the belts were last changed, and if not get some.
Old 10 March 2018, 01:50 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Service history stated belts done 2013 (can't remember mileage) but garage said they'll do belts as part of service.
Bikes currently got 8500miles so I know the valve adjustments aren't due till 15k!
Cheers for advice
Old 20 March 2018, 12:48 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

my friend has a Panigale. His chicken strips are wider than the grand canyon.. dont waste the bike!

on a side note: Can winter **** off already the suns coming out just about its time to get on the lanes in the 600RR!
Old 24 March 2018, 09:15 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was looking at the 848, looks like a very nice bike. As much as it pains me, I have considered buying an Panigale 1199! Why I ask myself, I have no idea I say! Haha... might just try something I’ve never ridden instead.
Old 27 March 2018, 05:09 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbotog
Service history stated belts done 2013 (can't remember mileage) but garage said they'll do belts as part of service.
Bikes currently got 8500miles so I know the valve adjustments aren't due till 15k!
Cheers for advice
Lovely bike the 848, great bit of kit, and arguably one of the best road bikes ever made.
I'm lucky enough to own a 1098S Tricolore and a 916 SP..Both stunning bikes, but very different.
In modern terms, people sometimes say that the 848 isn't 'all that' in terms of outright power, but that doesn't tell the story..My 916 is still a staggering bike but gets blown away (on paper) by an 848...

A Ducati isn't about the spec sheet..Ducati owners know this..A Duke is about the synergy of the entire package, and this is where they have always excelled. The overall experience and performance are always much greater than the sum of their parts.

As an example, back in the 90's the Blade was THE japanese bike to own, but in the motorbike mags always got trounced by the much more expensive but similar specced 916..This used to infuriate me as a Blade owner..until i bought a 916..It was simply better EVERYWHERE..turn in, corner speed, braking, thrills..but it was the sheer confidence it inspired and the levels of feedback and involvement that the Japanese bikes could only dream of..

It's the same story today...Typically Dukes have very few owners compared to the equivalent Jap bike..Owners hang onto them (literally in some cases),and with good reason.

A well ridden 848, whilst not having all of the trick bits of it's more expensive brother, will still run rings around almost every other bike on the road..

It is ESSENTIAL though that it is looked after...Modern ones are bullet proof..have been for decades, but make sure it's not been abused and always get the belts done every two years come hell or high water..Yes, the new belts are made of kevlar not rubber, and yes, they will probably last well beyond the advised time frame but why risk it?

Also Ducati engine paint is crap..It WILL flake off...Even if it's only a year old, the paint will start to bubble...an 1199 is just the same..

Secondly, always keep your eye on the oil level, and don't put cheap stuff in it.

Thirdly, keep it on a trickle charger..The big twin requires A LOT of cranking amps to turn over and an old or slightly weak battery will not be reliable and will throw all sorts of codes.

Finally, learn to ride it properly..This means getting used to the characteristics of a twin...Don't go throwing revs at it..use the torque.
I would also advise getting yourself onto the California Superbike School courses..they are excellent..even if you only ever do Level 1, it will transform your riding (and thus your enjoyment) forever.

Once you 'get' the whole Ducati thing..the noise, the handling, the grunt, the looks...it's really intoxicating...Although my 1098 blows my 916 away in terms of sheer power, it can't get near it in terms of charisma, but they both obviously share the same DNA and are both incredibly addictive...I can't see me ever selling either of them..but i WILL end up with a Panny eventually (but not at the expense of selling off one of my babies).

The 848 is a superb choice and I don't think you'll ever want to change it...

Last edited by funkyrimpler; 27 March 2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 29 March 2018, 03:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Took my test in 2016 after riding commutery stuff for donkeys years

Went from a Varadero 125 to a R1200gs

Its not the fastest, or the most silky smooth jap 4

But its got a good upright seating position for me,.

I can get my feet down with a milk crate

and it returns about 41mpg round town

oh and i'm the wrong side of 50, so insurace is cheap
Old 02 April 2018, 10:36 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Here's a better pic of the bike, I'll grab some more when I've got the carbon bellypan fitted

Thanks for all the comments. I'm proper happy!
Got a trickle charger but haven't used it yet as in process of moving so will sort asap.
Also I'll be going out with an ex police motorbike trainer, so I should be able to get loads of tips and hints.
Would also like to look at some fast bike training at a track.
Fully respect a bike hasn't quite got the safety of a car. Even a 20 year impreza haha
Hopefully have a nice summer (we can dream) and really get a feel for the bike!
Old 02 April 2018, 10:45 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

When I passed my test I got myself an old Gpz900r good fun bike and with them being older if you drop it you just dust it off and get back on it and go. Yes the tyres are skinny but will keep up with modern 600's.

I then moved onto a zx10r and it is a cracking bike. You can do 30mph to whatever you want in 6th gear, or over 100 in 1st if you can keep the front end down.

Graeme
Old 03 April 2018, 09:49 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Very nice, good colour combination, much better than the black one with gash red frame. Traditional Red looks nice too.

Have you had chance to open it up yet, how do you find the power?

Originally Posted by G.Mac

I then moved onto a zx10r and it is a cracking bike. You can do 30mph to whatever you want in 6th gear, or over 100 in 1st if you can keep the front end down.

Graeme
I found this was the case with the Fireblade, tootle around in 5th maybe even 6th at 30mph and it would see you right through to limiter (180), where as my mates 1098 wouldn't entertain 2nd at 30 mph! My Uncle has just bought a late 2015 ZX10R, over 200bhp I believe...
Old 24 May 2018, 01:40 AM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Late response but thought I'd update!
Power is really torquey loll. I've had 145 out of it but it had loads more power to give and o still wasn't at full throttle.. Just fast enough for me haha. It's really torquey and a blast to ride. I can just get the front end up occasionally on 1st and 2nd but I'm cautious on it and still haven't full throttled in any gear yet - doesn't need it! Town driving is impossible.. 30 in 1st and it's screaming or 2nd and it's bucking!
Absolutely love the bike although I can't use the rear brake (Tiny pedal, size 14 boots) or wing mirrors.. so a few things im.going to sort out.
Those 200hp bikes must be absolutely ****ing crazy! Definitely don't feel underpowered on the 848!
Old 24 May 2018, 10:31 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Late response but thought I'd update!
Power is really torquey loll. I've had 145 out of it but it had loads more power to give and o still wasn't at full throttle.. Just fast enough for me haha. It's really torquey and a blast to ride. I can just get the front end up occasionally on 1st and 2nd but I'm cautious on it and still haven't full throttled in any gear yet - doesn't need it! Town driving is impossible.. 30 in 1st and it's screaming or 2nd and it's bucking!
Absolutely love the bike although I can't use the rear brake (Tiny pedal, size 14 boots) or wing mirrors.. so a few things im.going to sort out.
Those 200hp bikes must be absolutely ****ing crazy! Definitely don't feel underpowered on the 848!

The urban commute is a no-no on a duke in my eyes, you are absolutely right with mirrors and the bucking. I found that under 20 mph in 1st on the 1098 was trying to stall so you end up going a little too fast in the 20mph zones. And as for the mirrors, I found I was doing my "life saver" glances on the duke than I ever have on any other bike, but that's not a bad thing these days!

Enjoy