Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

camping

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2017, 11:21 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default camping

Not camped for about 30 years. Tempted just to buy a tent and go to Devon.

Apart from a sleeping bag and a load of beer,any tips ( understand tents just pop up nowadays which will help.lol)
Old 22 July 2017, 11:33 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing I'd say for camping is to not bother and stay in a warm, dry building.
Old 22 July 2017, 11:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What he said , but if you're still keen

Thermarest or blow up mattress ( you'll be feeling the ground your age) , don't pitch in field of cows , make doubly sure ground sheet has no holes
Old 23 July 2017, 10:12 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't let them put you off mate... camping is great and you can stay in some pretty good campsites or go a little bit more on the wild side, which is what we tend to do because you get a better location.

We go to White sands bay in St David's Pembrokeshire most years... although not going there this year... going to rent a big van and go up to Scotland as none of us have been there before on holiday... basically camping out of the back of the van, so if the weather is unpredictable we've got some decent shelter.

As for kit, decent torch, therma rest matt and a pillow, basic camp stove, so you can at least have a brew and knock up scrambled eggs and beans, pasta and tuna etc and a small bowl so you can wash up... 10/20L water container comes in handy too, I've got a barby that doubles as a camp fire too, which keeps the bugs away and provides some light / heat of an evening, also cook the fish I catch on it or meat etc, couple of folding chairs is always nice.

Other than that buy a double skinned tent, NOT single skin, might be easier to throw up but useless if it rains and will fill with condensation, nicer if you can stand up in it too.
Old 23 July 2017, 10:19 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I like camping, but would prefer to have someone like Ditch with me to do all the graft.
Old 23 July 2017, 10:20 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Stand up in it !!??

You forgot about the kitchen sink

pillow's a must though, forgot about that
Old 23 July 2017, 12:52 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

im about to try "glamping" whatever the hell that means lol. its one of those garden shed things with a patio door. quite well equipped though has 2 foldy down double beds a flat screen telly, fridge and microwave, sink and coffee and tea making facilities. hoping its better than lying outside in a tent and a bit comfier. the best part is obviously the fridge for the beers and the telly is a bonus as my young lad can plug in his x box and that keeps him amused. i must be getting old though as ive been looking at caravans a lot lately
Old 23 July 2017, 02:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Used to love camping - boy sprouts etc when you could hitch hlke around, knock on a stranger's door and ask if you could camp in their garden. The PC boys soon put a stop to that

Remember one cold night but I couldn't get my pillow sorted. Daylight came and it was the farmer's dog who had crept in for a snuggle

If I went again I would need a sky hook to get from horizontal to vertical

dl
Old 23 July 2017, 04:21 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

back in the day yeah, but these days you,d probably end up as a guest in his dungeon.
Old 24 July 2017, 08:40 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Stand up in it !!??

You forgot about the kitchen sink

pillow's a must though, forgot about that
No I didn't, I told him to get a bowl to do the washing up, it's a lot easier than standing about waiting in a line with a load of pots to use the campsite sinks, abd better than waking up in the night because badgers or foxes are rummaging around your tent.

Many years of camping have taught me that it's a lot nicer if you have a slightly bigger tent that you can stand up in and have a table inside should the weather change.

Wind breaks and a mallet are always good to have, they define your space as well as keeping the wind at bay, which is useful when you have a bbq or fire.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 24 July 2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 24 July 2017, 08:54 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I like camping, but would prefer to have someone like Ditch with me to do all the graft.
Bloody work shy elitist , the graft as you call it is all part of the adventure, making fires, fishing then cooking your catch is fantastic, and very good life skills for my boy to learn... too many folks these days that have no idea about a little hardship and doing things for themselves inside the home let alone outside.

I love the hunter gatherer type stuff and always have so camping a couple of weeks a year stomping about the countryside is bliss to me, sooner do that than go poncing about the seychelles in a hotel by the pool.... boring/ torture for a bloke like me.
Old 24 July 2017, 12:04 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

That's how you do it.
Old 25 July 2017, 10:05 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

On the few times i've been with the ex and the kids the most important thing for me other than a dry tent is a comfy bed. We did Cornwall and the Isle of Wight last year a week at each and had a great time other than my fishing bed giving me a very uncomfortable nights sleep.

They were both electric pitches too which was a first for me and made life so much easier even for simple things like keeping your phone charged.

The tent was a massive air beam thing for 6 people which you can walk around in not just stand up in, a bit different to the old tent I used to use.

Go to your local camping shop or big camping warehouse like Go Outdoors and be prepared for just how much you can spend on camping gear!
Old 25 July 2017, 11:09 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Does he want go camping , or hotel in a field .

just need a big knife

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-n3Yd66DM3D...39804930_n.jpg
Old 25 July 2017, 11:56 AM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
i must be getting old though as ive been looking at caravans a lot lately
It works for me:

Old 25 July 2017, 06:33 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Does being in this caravan for a year count as camping,because it is beginning to feel like frigging camping!!
Old 02 August 2017, 01:36 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Does being in this caravan for a year count as camping,because it is beginning to feel like frigging camping!!
Lol one year... I did 3yrs in a caravan out here, got so sick of it I just had to finish one bedroom with en-suite just so I didn't go stir crazy, then just used the caravan for cooking... which made life so much nicer.
Old 02 August 2017, 02:18 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Onesies!

Old 02 August 2017, 03:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Used to know painter/decorater who belonged to some American indian recreation society , that just reminds me .

wigwams, the lot, spent most w/e on some local field . Came to work with professing the attitude too - i.e . the land shouldn't belong to anyone ( tdw like )

did live in council house weektime

Last edited by dpb; 02 August 2017 at 03:57 PM.