ATM not giving cash.

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2017, 04:01 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATM not giving cash.

Hi All,

Spot of advice from anyone been through something similar would be really appreciated.....

Used an ATM (one at a Shell petrol station in Guildford, Surrey) on Sat night to withdraw £100.
Put card in, pin code, card popped out and a message on screen saying "wait for your cash" type thing. Couple minutes went by, started to get nervous, then a "could not complete transaction please contact your bank" message popped up.

Waited for ages just in case the cash did pop out - nothing. Checked my bank balance and £100 had been debited.

Called the ATM people (number on the front of the ATM machine) - customer services said that they checked the transaction is showing as a clean transaction (no errors or problems reported on the machine for that transaction) so not calling me a liar but computer says you got your cash.

Spoke to my bank (HSBC) who are raising an ATM discrepancy claim with the ATM people.

My concern is that ATM people will tell HSBC it was a clean transaction and there is nothing else to say otherwise - so where do I go from there ?

I am checking with the petrol station to see if the forecourt has CCTV and with the ATM people to see if the ATM has a camera - so I have physical proof.

If both those draw a blank where do I go from there ?

Any experiences / thoughts / suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Ro.
Old 18 July 2017, 04:35 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Think you are doing it the right way. If you don't get anywhere try the Ombudsman.
Old 18 July 2017, 05:24 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

There is probably a security video at the ATM. Try and get hold of it
Old 19 July 2017, 08:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hapened to me in France.
Withdrew €200, everything went well until it showed "operation annullee", (operation cancelled).

Kept my ticket and sure enough, had been debited €200.

Bank took it up with La Poste whose machine it was. Six months later I got my money back. They know how much is in the machine, so yours will be 100 too much. Simple. You ought to be quicker than me getting the refund too, not dealing with ze French.