Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: How will you be voting in the forthcoming election?
Conservative
54.41%
Labour
14.71%
LibDem
14.71%
Plaid Cymru
0%
Scottish Nationalist
1.47%
UKIP
8.82%
Green
1.47%
Independent
0%
BNP
0%
Don't wish to say, but will be voting
4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Voting intentions in the forthcoming election

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2017, 02:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Voting intentions in the forthcoming election

Poll for Dingdongler.
How will you vote in the forthcoming election?

I've left off "won't be voting", if you won't be voting, don't do the poll

Last edited by alcazar; 05 June 2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05 June 2017, 02:28 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't know, it's a horrible choice, either the poor man's Thatcher, or a pale version of Michael Foot!

Probably Lib Dems, as a protest

Last edited by Martin2005; 05 June 2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05 June 2017, 02:35 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I still don't know, it's a horrible choice, either the poor man's Thatcher, or a pale version of Michael Foot!

Probably Lib Dems, as a protest
Struck me as being the logical answer.
Old 05 June 2017, 02:40 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts
Default No option for non voters

Wat if your confused

Last edited by ZANY; 05 June 2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05 June 2017, 02:41 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Old 05 June 2017, 04:14 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I'm actually quite surprised how far ahead Tory and Labour are from the others.

If the little fringe parties like Monstor Raving Looney, Lib Dems and BNP etc can't make inroads in this environment, then they might as well give up!

I think LD have made a policy error by not openly supporting leaving the EU. I'd be interested to know what percentage of the intended votes they'd get if they had - I think it would be quite a signficiant jump. I know quite a few Lib Demmer's who consdier themselves 'yellow tory's', and will be voting Tory, when otherwise they'd vote LD if they were backing getting on with Brexit. All of them voted Leave, but have since shifted opinion.

The fact so many intend to vote for Labour with Corbyn at the helm and Diane Abbot with such a senior role is beyond me.

Last edited by Petem95; 05 June 2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05 June 2017, 04:19 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95

If the little fringe parties like Monstor Raving Looney, Lib Dems and BNP etc can't make inroads in this environment, then they might as well give up!

I think LD have made a policy error by not openly supporting leaving the EU. I'd be interested to know what percentage of the intended votes they'd get if they had - I think it would be quite a signficiant jump. I know quite a few Lib Demer's who consdier themselves 'yellow tory's', and will be voting Tory, when otherwise they'd vote LD if they were backing getting on with Brexit. All of them voted Leave, but have since shifted opinion.

The fact so many intend to vote for Labour with Corbyn at the helm and Diane Abbot with such a senior role is beyond me.
Not at all, the Lib Dem stance on Brexit is actually one of the best. I don't think anyone else is giving the public the final say on the deal with Europe.
Old 05 June 2017, 04:23 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I think LD have made a policy error by not openly supporting leaving the EU. I'd be interested to know what percentage of the intended votes they'd get if they had - I think it would be quite a signficiant jump. I know quite a few Lib Demmer's who consdier themselves 'yellow tory's', and will be voting Tory, when otherwise they'd vote LD if they were backing getting on with Brexit. All of them voted Leave, but have since shifted opinion.

LD are struggling because of the whole 2nd referendum nonsense - it's a big miscalculation. People don't want to go through that circus again, and it's transparently about blocking Brexit, which I suspect people feel would be wrong.

I'm voting LD as a big **** you to the 2 main parties for their hopelessness

Even you must be alarmed at the prospect of a government that cannot even run a coherent election campaign, running the most important set of negotiations in our lifetimes?

May is such an empty vessel, and Corbyn is Corbyn

Last edited by Martin2005; 05 June 2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05 June 2017, 04:34 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

I'm voting LD as a big **** you to the 2 main parties for their hopelessness

May is such an empty vessel, and Corbyn is Corbyn
+1 like
LIB DEMZ IT IS THEN
Old 05 June 2017, 06:13 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Not at all, the Lib Dem stance on Brexit is actually one of the best. I don't think anyone else is giving the public the final say on the deal with Europe.
Aren't Lib Dems proposing a re-vote for brexit if they get back in? I thought that was their stance on brexit? Might be wrong
Old 05 June 2017, 06:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes
Old 05 June 2017, 07:04 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Exactly, so when Neil-h says about "giving the public the final say on the deal in Europe"......haven't the public already had the final say? Not sure if he's referring to another referendum on Brexit or the public having a say with the terms and conditions (which I doubt it)
Old 05 June 2017, 07:18 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
Exactly, so when Neil-h says about "giving the public the final say on the deal in Europe"......haven't the public already had the final say? Not sure if he's referring to another referendum on Brexit or the public having a say with the terms and conditions (which I doubt it)
Massive policy error on their part. Only a very small percentage of people now back remaining in the EU. Had they backed Leave I think they really could've become a force to be reckoned with in this election.

The ironic thing is Tim Farron has openly said he's Eurosceptic, yet clearly they assumed with the other parties all backing Leave that they'd try and mop up what's left of the Remain camp, but clearly a miscalculation.
Old 05 June 2017, 08:01 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
Aren't Lib Dems proposing a re-vote for brexit if they get back in? I thought that was their stance on brexit? Might be wrong
Nope, the manifesto pledges a vote at the end of negotiations with a choice of take it/leave it/remain.

Originally Posted by alcazar
Yes
Should probably go and actually read the manifesto

Originally Posted by Lib Dem manifesto
At the end of negotiations, there will be a decision on the deal. The Conservatives want the decision to be taken by politicians. Liberal Democrats believe the British people should have the final say.

That’s why, when the terms of our future relationship with the EU have been negotiated (over the next two years on the Government’s timetable), we will put that deal to a vote of the British people in a referendum, with the alternative option of staying in the EU on the ballot paper. We continue to believe that there is no deal as good for the UK outside the EU as the one it already has as a member.
Old 05 June 2017, 08:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I stand by my comments in the Election thread as: -

If Labour could persuade David Miliband to take over then I think they could just swing it. I would be delighted if May got her comeuppance big time as she is on a course to wreck our future.

I support much of what Corbyn says, aside from re-nationalisation, but his economic arguments are way out - he just won't have enough money!

But of course the above won't happen and we'll end up with that bitch gloating. UKIP can go f**k but perhaps Lib Dems could help?

David
Old 05 June 2017, 08:39 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a protest voter, in that I don't vote as part of my protest.

It won't make a difference either way, one corrupt self serving fu@ker over another... makes no difference to ordinary people that live hand to mouth... they'll still be living hand to mouth in 5yrs when it's time for another election.
Old 05 June 2017, 09:03 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I stand by my comments in the Election thread as: -

If Labour could persuade David Miliband to take over then I think they could just swing it. I would be delighted if May got her comeuppance big time as she is on a course to wreck our future.

I support much of what Corbyn says, aside from re-nationalisation, but his economic arguments are way out - he just won't have enough money!

But of course the above won't happen and we'll end up with that bitch gloating. UKIP can go f**k but perhaps Lib Dems could help?

David
This is not meant to sound as if I am on the offensive, or that I am trying to defend Theresa May, but why do you think she is on a course to wreck our future? Maybe my blinkered view, but I'm sure she doesn't go to bed each night thinking how she can squeeze more money out of the disadvantaged, contrary to what the online vitriol would have you believe. Like you say, Corbyn's economic arguments are way out, and when you take that into account, I dread to think how he is going to achieve what he is setting out to do, but suspect that the motorist may once again be an easy target to raise cash. Conversely, May's policies seem to have a little more economic reality in them, despite it not being a pretty picture. Agree with you on the nationalisation; if he wants to play trains Hornby have a nice range!
Old 05 June 2017, 09:47 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SWRTWannabe
This is not meant to sound as if I am on the offensive, or that I am trying to defend Theresa May, but why do you think she is on a course to wreck our future? Maybe my blinkered view, but I'm sure she doesn't go to bed each night thinking how she can squeeze more money out of the disadvantaged, contrary to what the online vitriol would have you believe. Like you say, Corbyn's economic arguments are way out, and when you take that into account, I dread to think how he is going to achieve what he is setting out to do, but suspect that the motorist may once again be an easy target to raise cash. Conversely, May's policies seem to have a little more economic reality in them, despite it not being a pretty picture. Agree with you on the nationalisation; if he wants to play trains Hornby have a nice range!
You've obviously stumbled across the Tories economic plan. Thus far in this campaign it's been kept a closely guarded secret. 😀
Old 05 June 2017, 10:20 PM
TheAngryFerret
Scooby Regular

http://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz
Have any of you tried this?
Apparently it tells you who you best fit with.
Old 05 June 2017, 10:35 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The fact that so many intend to vote Conservative with their promise to asset-strip the NHS and privatise it is beyond me.....it's the policies I shall vote on, not the personalities. Regardless of the outcome, I wouldn't bet on May being leader for long.

Last edited by Sad Weevil; 05 June 2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05 June 2017, 10:45 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
The fact that so many intend to vote Conservative with their promise to asset-strip the NHS and privatise it is beyond me.....it's the policies I shall vote on, not the personalities. Regardless of the outcome, I wouldn't bet on May being PM for long.
But at least they have the bottle to at least partially acknowledge that the NHS and other government funding is totally unsustainable. I know the 'Dementia tax' backfired, but what do you expect to happen with funding for these organisations?

It's fairly common knowledge that most Western countries including the UK are running massive deficits and have staggering levels of debt, but less coverage is given to future unfunded government liabilities such as public sector pensions and social care etc. It's an absolute time bomb, but there is just no desire to do anything about it - it's almost like it's taboo, so nobody wants to go near the subject.

Last edited by Petem95; 05 June 2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05 June 2017, 10:45 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
The fact that so many intend to vote Conservative with their promise to asset-strip the NHS and privatise it is beyond me.....it's the policies I shall vote on, not the personalities. Regardless of the outcome, I wouldn't bet on May being PM for long.
Better than labours plan to drown the country in debt yet again.
Old 05 June 2017, 10:47 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=SWRTWannabe;11944871]This is not meant to sound as if I am on the offensive, or that I am trying to defend Theresa May, but why do you think she is on a course to wreck our future? Maybe my blinkered view, but I'm sure she doesn't go to bed each night thinking how she can squeeze more money out of the disadvantaged, contrary to what the online vitriol would have you believe. Like you say, Corbyn's economic arguments are way out, and when you take that into account, I dread to think how he is going to achieve what he is setting out to do, but suspect that the motorist may once again be an easy target to raise cash. Conversely, May's policies seem to have a little more BrQUOTE]

OK, fair comments. IMHO May is charging ahead with zero real negotiating skills completely ignoring the wishes of much of the younger generation who are our future. Brexit is leaving Scotland in a confused mess and screwing up NI who want to stay and leaving the opening for the IRA boys to muscle back in and take the Island back to the old violent days.

Yeah we have some problems with the EU but the benefits of working with them are overwhelming - like scientific research and sharing education. And unravelling all the rules and regs will take 10 years and cost bilions. May will get f,uck all in 2 years and does anyone really think that 27 different countries will smile sweetly and sign up. Come on smell the coffee.

Plus I detest the UK xenophobic Daily Mail approach. Yes I will joke about the Krauts or Froggies but they are really OK folk and we should stay friends.

Just my Euro's worth, David

Last edited by David Lock; 05 June 2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05 June 2017, 10:48 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Better than labours plan to drown the country in debt yet again.

hmmm, you might want to just do a quick fact check on that matey

Last edited by Martin2005; 05 June 2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05 June 2017, 10:56 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

hmmm, you might want to just do a quick fact check on that matey
labour is promising to spend this and that, with no hope of getting half of the supposed extra tax they are claiming they will. Corp tax hike will make companies go else where especially given the situation with brexit, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm not enamoured with the conservative's at all, but labour are a total mess, they have a leader who doesn't agree with half the party's policies and a group of MP's who want him out, despite the support of the main membership, a party in that much of a disarray is in no shape to lead. and right now they are promising all sorts to buy voters.
Old 05 June 2017, 11:03 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

labour is promising to spend this and that, with no hope of getting half of the supposed extra tax they are claiming they will. Corp tax hike will make companies go else where especially given the situation with brexit, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm not enamoured with the conservative's at all, but labour are a total mess, they have a leader who doesn't agree with half the party's policies and a group of MP's who want him out, despite the support of the main membership, a party in that much of a disarray is in no shape to lead. and right now they are promising all sorts to buy voters.

Broadly I agree with you, and I certainly couldn't vote for Labour under Corbyn.
The reality is that the National Debt has increased massively under the Tories, so vote for them, but do so based on the facts rather than on myths
Old 05 June 2017, 11:12 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Corp tax hike will make companies go else where especially given the situation with brexit, it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Labour are proposing to reverse recent cuts in corporation tax, over a period of 3 years, bringing it back up to 26%, where it was in 2011. 26% is the lowest rate in the G7. So where will these companies go for a lower rate?

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9206

Last edited by Sad Weevil; 05 June 2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05 June 2017, 11:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Broadly I agree with you, and I certainly couldn't vote for Labour under Corbyn.
The reality is that the National Debt has increased massively under the Tories, so vote for them, but do so based on the facts rather than on myths
Problem is labour left such a huge deficit its not surprise its gone up,

Labour lost power in 2010,,,,,
Old 05 June 2017, 11:59 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Problem is labour left such a huge deficit its not surprise its gone up,

Labour lost power in 2010,,,,,

So you can therefore see that the Tories have borrowed a ****-ton more money than Labour
Old 06 June 2017, 12:07 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

So you can therefore see that the Tories have borrowed a ****-ton more money than Labour
Which would have been to prop up the crap finances left by labour, policies changes would take 12 months to come into affect.

But the largest spikes were last two years labour were in power, 2009, 2010. Which was after the crash and debt became a major issue.