Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Scammer Alert...

I have a holiday rental in Wales

I received the below email...

Hello Sir/Madam,
We are Mr & Mrs xyz From New York Please kindly
confirm if the property will be open for the date below.

Arrival Date: June 03th 2017
Depart Date: July 8th 2017.
36 Nights
Number of Guest: 2 Adults

I will be Looking forward to read back from you with the availability
and the total price for the period of the booking.

Kind Regards.
Mr abc xyz...
Email address was for a name that was not abc xyz on a gmail account.

I replied with my availability and the rate, which was not what they were looking for

This morning...

Thanks for your mail we really do appreciate your kind reply. We are Okay with the price for the accommodation the total payment will be sent to you we could have send you our credit card details but due to past experience we decided not to use our card for international transactions my wife deals with her family business and she handle most international transactions we had already informed our bank and based on our bank advise the payment will be sent to you with Certified Cashiers Check dont worry our bank had already promise its will take few days to be cleared in your bank.

We will be sending the payment before we arrive so you can confirm our stay in your property before we arrived we will be waiting for to hear from you soon with the details below.

Your Name...
Full address:
City:
Zip code
Mobile
Telephone Number :

You can send address the rentals contracts if you have one to our home address..Mr abc xyz 442 East 72nd Street New York USA 10041 here is my phone number +1 646--nnn-nnn

Kind Regards.
I left the address in as that does not exist in NYC. There is an appartment block at 440 but not 442. As to the rest, well screams scammer to me. I would take it that +1 646 nnn nnn is a mobile of some description & this time the email came from an outlook.com account with his name.

Quite apart from the fact that he's not specified the dates he wants, all the info he is requesting is on my website.

So, what's the angle here? I'm not sending them any money and they actually have to appear into my place and I won't allow that without cleared funds.
Old 28 April 2017, 09:06 AM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id be back to them stating how you like to conduct your business not how they want too.
Old 28 April 2017, 09:22 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

"I will be Looking forward to read back from you with the availability"

already sounds iffy.
Old 28 April 2017, 10:37 AM
DTB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If those quotes are cut & paste from what you actually received then I would suggest just deleting them and discontinuing any further communication. Perhaps it's not quite pidgin English, but it's got all the hallmarks of scammer language - poor grammer, lack of punctuation, etc. It's packed with red flags in my opinion.
Old 28 April 2017, 10:43 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

I have asked him to confirm the dates he wants to book.
I have informed him that cleared funds in full require to reserve the property. A cashier's cheque is not acceptable.
I have suggested that he use his bank to transfer to mine directly (I would give him the details of an empty deposit account)
I have also suggested he could use my transferwise link as that will give him a free trasfer at decent exchange rates if he wanted to use his credit card still. That would also go to my empty deposit account
Finally I have asked him for both of their passport numbers, due to hightened security requirements.

I shall be interested in seeing where this goes...
Old 28 April 2017, 10:45 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by DTB
If those quotes are cut & paste from what you actually received then I would suggest just deleting them and discontinuing any further communication. Perhaps it's not quite pidgin English, but it's got all the hallmarks of scammer language - poor grammer, lack of punctuation, etc. It's packed with red flags in my opinion.
Loads of red flags, though to be fair they could be imigrants to the US.
Old 28 April 2017, 10:53 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

A-Ha!

https://help.ownersdirect.co.uk/arti...l-Scam-Inquiry

So, as part of my T&Cs to them, there will be 100% no refunds for cancellations - unless I can rebook the property.

Any overpayments will be ignored.
Old 28 April 2017, 11:25 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Subscribed to follow. Certainly sounds like a scam to me.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Ask them if they speak Welsh? D
Old 28 April 2017, 01:29 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I'm staggered you have even considered this to be legit.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:42 PM
DTB
Scooby Regular

When someone uses the phrase "don't worry" in the context of a payment it's a good idea to do the very opposite.

Never been to Wales but the wife and I have spoken about making a trip there some time. Might be in touch one day myself if we ever decide the drive wouldn't be too hellish.
Old 28 April 2017, 02:18 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Go with your gut instinct. In this case your gut instinct is not to trust - that's why your asking in here
Old 28 April 2017, 02:21 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Do we get snet discount on your holiday rental?
Old 28 April 2017, 03:23 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Do we get snet discount on your holiday rental?
Possibly but then apart from a couple of weeks in June its fully booked until November
Old 28 April 2017, 03:29 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

LOL. Just as it should be! Funnily enough I just booked a week away in June.
Old 28 April 2017, 07:46 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi,
It might be an overpayment scam.
Somebody pays you for a product or service - but they pay too much.
They then request that you send them back the overpayment amount by Western Union.
Once you have sent them that money - you can't get it back.
The cheque they sent you - although initially cleared will then bounce a week or two later (cheques theoretically never fully clear and can get recalled months after they first "cleared" - if fraud is involved).
Keep em peeled!
Cheers
Steve
Old 28 April 2017, 07:48 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi,
Just found this!
https://help.ownersdirect.co.uk/arti...l-Scam-Inquiry
Cheers
Steve
Old 28 April 2017, 08:22 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Thought scam straight away as he wants for 36 nights, scammer trying to make you think that if he books it out for 36 nights that will come to a pricey amount and appeal to you!!

Tell him you can only accept card transactions and any other payment would not be accepted due to potential scammers!!!
Old 29 April 2017, 12:26 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Obvious scam.Who is going to pay to go to Wales? Come on,really.
Old 29 April 2017, 09:06 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Obvious scam.Who is going to pay to go to Wales? Come on,really.
Harsh!!
Old 29 April 2017, 02:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Just tell the guy that you want a bank transfer in Pounds Sterling in the sum of £xxx within the next 7 days or the preliminary booking will be cancelled.

Send your name, bank details with account number and location code along with IBAN and SWIFT number. Say all transfer charges to his account. Instruct him to mail you when transfer complete. May take 3-4 days, banks like to hold onto money for a while

You could give your bank a ring and ask them to keep an eye out for the transfer but I doubt if they will bother.

I'd be 80% sure it is a scam - have you checked their name out on Google or input part of their email which might me recognised by Big Brother ?

David

Last edited by David Lock; 29 April 2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 29 April 2017, 03:24 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Just tell the guy that you want a bank transfer in Pounds Sterling in the sum of £xxx within the next 7 days or the preliminary booking will be cancelled.

Send your name, bank details with account number and location code along with IBAN and SWIFT number. Say all transfer charges to his account. Instruct him to mail you when transfer complete. May take 3-4 days, banks like to hold onto money for a while

You could give your bank a ring and ask them to keep an eye out for the transfer but I doubt if they will bother.

I'd be 80% sure it is a scam - have you checked their name out on Google or input part of their email which might me recognised by Big Brother ?

David
I'm guessing it must be a generational thing, with regards to lesser familarity with what goes on on the Intenet, but seriously, a 20% probability that this isn't a scam?

The only thing the OP should be debating here is which of the various authorities (police, email service operators, etc), and holiday rental associations he should report this to. It's all well and good stringing these types along for a while for a bit of fun, but ultimately the longer they're left to their own devices, the more likely it is that some other (less savvy) poor unfortunate will fall victim to their nonsense.
Old 29 April 2017, 05:38 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
I'm guessing it must be a generational thing, with regards to lesser familarity with what goes on on the Intenet, but seriously, a 20% probability that this isn't a scam?

The only thing the OP should be debating here is which of the various authorities (police, email service operators, etc), and holiday rental associations he should report this to. It's all well and good stringing these types along for a while for a bit of fun, but ultimately the longer they're left to their own devices, the more likely it is that some other (less savvy) poor unfortunate will fall victim to their nonsense.
I have been using the Internet for over 25 years so do have a little bit of knowledge of its dangers You mustn't patronise those older than you

Two things about the original enquiry set red flags for me. 1) The offer to pay by check which I wouldn't touch with the proverbial and 2) Why would anybody want to go to Wales for several weeks? David
Old 29 April 2017, 09:03 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
I have been using the Internet for over 25 years so do have a little bit of knowledge of its dangers You mustn't patronise those older than you

Two things about the original enquiry set red flags for me. 1) The offer to pay by check which I wouldn't touch with the proverbial and 2) Why would anybody want to go to Wales for several weeks? David
Not forgetting the fact that this isn't just anybody. It's (supposedly) a well-to-do resident of New York, who apparently has the means and disposable leisure time to travel the world for weeks at a time. Would anyone that well setup in life choose to travel somewhere so relatively unglamorous and with such unpredictable weather as rural Wales, to spend an entire month? Not a snowball in hell's chance
Old 30 April 2017, 03:05 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Well...

Not heard back since I replied to them, not really surprised tbh.

Name doesn't google, not on Facebook or LinkedIn. Address is wrong, though the telephone number is valid for that area of NYC. Can't be bothered to spend $1.95 on a reverse phone lookup, not that interested.

I've also now booked one of the available weeks they're after with a genuine couple from the midlands
Old 30 April 2017, 04:32 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Not forgetting the fact that this isn't just anybody. It's (supposedly) a well-to-do resident of New York, who apparently has the means and disposable leisure time to travel the world for weeks at a time. Would anyone that well setup in life choose to travel somewhere so relatively unglamorous and with such unpredictable weather as rural Wales, to spend an entire month? Not a snowball in hell's chance

I wouldn't be quite so swift to jump to that conclusion - I stayed in a hotel on the west coast of ireland (Ashford castle) where the going rate for many of the rooms at full board is £1K per night. It was overflowing with affluent americans, may of whom were basing themselves at the hotel for 2 and 3 weeks to see rural parts of the west coast of ireland. Afternoon tea (think pot of tea and scones or cup cakes) was 40 euro per skull with a 15% service charge, and the yanks were at it day and daily, many had their kids with them.

Although the type of accommodation is differenet, the west coast of ireland is in many respects similair to rural wales, in terms of nothing really there but great scenery, weather is hit and miss (more often miss than hit to be fair), and the scenery is not quite so breathtaking when viewed through horizontal rain.

The payment angle is unquetionably dubious - wealthy yank holidaying for a month in the land that time forgot, perfectly normal in my experiance.
Old 01 May 2017, 02:55 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I wouldn't be quite so swift to jump to that conclusion - I stayed in a hotel on the west coast of ireland (Ashford castle) where the going rate for many of the rooms at full board is £1K per night. It was overflowing with affluent americans, may of whom were basing themselves at the hotel for 2 and 3 weeks to see rural parts of the west coast of ireland. Afternoon tea (think pot of tea and scones or cup cakes) was 40 euro per skull with a 15% service charge, and the yanks were at it day and daily, many had their kids with them.

Although the type of accommodation is differenet, the west coast of ireland is in many respects similair to rural wales, in terms of nothing really there but great scenery, weather is hit and miss (more often miss than hit to be fair), and the scenery is not quite so breathtaking when viewed through horizontal rain.

The payment angle is unquetionably dubious - wealthy yank holidaying for a month in the land that time forgot, perfectly normal in my experiance.
Hi,
Yes - but half of Americans have roots in Ireland - but not Wales!
That's why they spend so much time going to Ireland to find their roots.
It's definitely an overpayment scam - as I posted a few days ago.
Cheers
Steve
Old 02 May 2017, 01:28 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Oh well, thought I'd hear nothing but got this this morning...

Good Morning,

Happy Holiday hope you had great time with friend and families..My wife and i decided to have another date..please check if the property will be open for the date below.

June 24th 2017.
JUly 29th 2017.

Please email me back for the availability and price.
Doesn't seem to have read what I availability I'd put down & now one of those 2 weeks has gone.

Not sure I can be bothered to reply

Search this Thread