Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Council charges on privately owned leasehold property

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2017, 02:16 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Council charges on privately owned leasehold property

My mother owns a ground floor flat in a block with six other flats that are leasehold. The local council have just given her a bill for £975. The bill includes £178 "management charge", £88 insurance, and £250 "fire risk assessment", the latter I believe involved two blokes pointing at the door and talking for a few minutes. There are other charges for "responsive repairs" some of which I intend to dispute. What really annoys me is the fact that if you call them out to fix anything they charge you, that's on top of paying insurance and council tax. It seems even more unfair as my mother is 85 and housebound due to severe osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis. Seems like daylight robbery to me.

Last edited by wayne9t9; 03 April 2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03 April 2017, 02:58 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Does she pay a monthly service charge/ground rent to a managing agent?
Are the council the managing agent for the building?
Who owns the freehold on the building/grounds?
Is she in receipt of benefits?

Last edited by 2pot; 03 April 2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03 April 2017, 03:35 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When I was living in the flat I owned I was paying £160 a month to the management company. Why I was paying that I don't know, never saw them clean anything up and every time I received a letter to say that I had to pay for the corridors to be painted I had to pay for it, so what was the £160 a month I was paying a month used for then?. I hate them, and your right, they are a rip off.
Old 03 April 2017, 07:37 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2pot
Does she pay a monthly service charge/ground rent to a managing agent?
Are the council the managing agent for the building?
Who owns the freehold on the building/grounds?
Is she in receipt of benefits?
Ground rent is paid to the local council, its only £10 a year, I guess they would be considered the managing agent. Not sure how it works with regard to a freehold as the flat is privately owned with leasehold. Yes she is in receipt of attendance allowance and gets a very small reduction on council tax.
Old 03 April 2017, 07:49 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wayne9t9
Ground rent is paid to the local council, its only £10 a year, I guess they would be considered the managing agent. Not sure how it works with regard to a freehold as the flat is privately owned with leasehold. Yes she is in receipt of attendance allowance and gets a very small reduction on council tax.
Do you have any sort of leasehold contract with the freeholder (council), a legal document saying what exactly you are liable for, what the freeholder is responsible for, etc?

My home is freehold but I believe all leasehold properties should have something like this?

On a slight tangent all leaseholders should be careful about who owns the freehold and what the freeholder is entitled to. A growth area is for predatory companies to buy up freeholds on leasehold residential properties then to start charging rip off rents, then if you don't pay they can block the sale of your home and stuff.
Old 03 April 2017, 08:54 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by wayne9t9
If she is in receipt of attendance allowance, check if she is also eligible for housing benefit - housing benefit can pay all/part of her monthly service charge.

The service charge should cover known and projected maintenance costs - calculated by the managing agent, on behalf of the freeholder. Sometimes there is an intermediate head leaseholder.

The managing agent can raise further funds, from the tenants, for unexpected repairs or for double glazing the building etc. When the requested funds are above a certain level you may suggest an alternative contractor.

Giving the managing agent notice, you are within your rights to go to see the individual maintenance invoices for the previous years accounts.

Hopefully the managing agent is a member of ARMA

This organisation are helpful:
http://www.lease-advice.org
Old 05 April 2017, 01:45 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...s-report-warns
Old 06 April 2017, 07:16 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Me and my girlfriend have just moved into a new build house on a 999 year leasehold, held by the the company we bought off. We have a rental charge that's circa £150 a year and a £100 service charge, as the roads etc won't be taken on by the council but will instead be maintained by a contracting company.

Never heard of this extra council stuff you're on about, and I was very questionable on any extras the house builders may have "forgotten" to disclose.
Old 06 April 2017, 07:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Me and my girlfriend have just moved into a new build house on a 999 year leasehold, held by the the company we bought off. We have a rental charge that's circa £150 a year and a £100 service charge, as the roads etc won't be taken on by the council but will instead be maintained by a contracting company.

Never heard of this extra council stuff you're on about, and I was very questionable on any extras the house builders may have "forgotten" to disclose.
Is the rental and 'service' charges fixed for the 999 years?

That sounds like BS about the roads.
Old 06 April 2017, 08:24 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Is the rental and 'service' charges fixed for the 999 years?

That sounds like BS about the roads.
I wish, Joe

No it's allowed to rise online with inflation. That's my understanding from scrutinising the poor sales chap when originally signing some paperwork. I didn't want to be in the situation of paying an extra 5, then 10 etc. etc. like you inevitably do with TV subscriptions and such!

May well be BS regards the roads, the house is a tip at the minute so I haven't the details to hand. I do know (and indeed have seen) the greenery and such like being taken care of by outside companies in the weeks leading to and few days following our move last weekend.
Old 06 April 2017, 08:53 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

They will sell it on to the highest bidding contractors within a year
Old 06 April 2017, 09:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I wish, Joe

No it's allowed to rise online with inflation. That's my understanding from scrutinising the poor sales chap when originally signing some paperwork. I didn't want to be in the situation of paying an extra 5, then 10 etc. etc. like you inevitably do with TV subscriptions and such!

May well be BS regards the roads, the house is a tip at the minute so I haven't the details to hand. I do know (and indeed have seen) the greenery and such like being taken care of by outside companies in the weeks leading to and few days following our move last weekend.
That's good if it's locked to inflation, but really I can't see why a developer wouldn't want to get council to adopt the roads as public highway in principle unless they have some hustle going on to extract more cash from owners, or they built the roads substandard and cheap and below the spec the Highways people require?
Old 07 April 2017, 12:02 AM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donny andi
They will sell it on to the highest bidding contractors within a year
What he said ^

I had some experience of this 20 odd years ago. Once the houses, flats etc. were all completed and roads/paths done, the freeholds were sold on to a company who immediately bumped up the annual charges. I did some investigation and found out that the company was owned by wife of one of the directors of the building company. Quite common, apparently

I also found out (but too late, obviously) that if more than 50% of the leaseholders in the building want to buy the freehold, they get first dibbs. I doubt it has changed, but check. Then get talking to your neighbours ....soon...
Old 07 April 2017, 09:37 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by poffer1
What he said ^

I had some experience of this 20 odd years ago. Once the houses, flats etc. were all completed and roads/paths done, the freeholds were sold on to a company who immediately bumped up the annual charges. I did some investigation and found out that the company was owned by wife of one of the directors of the building company. Quite common, apparently

I also found out (but too late, obviously) that if more than 50% of the leaseholders in the building want to buy the freehold, they get first dibbs. I doubt it has changed, but check. Then get talking to your neighbours ....soon...
Even if you own the freehold on these estates you will still get a bill for roads, hedges, grass cutting, etc., if the developer never got the council to adopt them.
Old 07 April 2017, 09:42 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Even if you own the freehold on these estates you will still get a bill for roads, hedges, grass cutting, etc., if the developer never got the council to adopt them.
Mortgage providers actually hold back some money from the developers now to cover the costs of doing it, or taking the developer to court so they sort it. Bear in mind though I have no idea how long that practice has happened and i only know about it cos we bought a new build 17 months ago.
Old 07 April 2017, 10:29 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

A freehold purchase by the leaseholders, should include the grounds/extent of the plot.
A minimum 50% tenant participation would be enough to trigger the process. But, the freehold purchase company, set-up by the tenants, would also purchase the other 50%, making the purchase double the cost, per individual.
However, the new company could then sell extended leases to the remaining leaseholders. The cost of which could be redistributed back to the original 50%.
Or, you could later sell a share of the freehold, to a non-participating leaseholder.
The longer the lease the less the freehold purchase will be.
After freehold purchase, the shareholders should appoint a managing agent.